Johnjonjo

Oil filter housing wrench size?

5.2litres for the 520d

Excercise caution when topping up and expect the electronic dipstick to go haywire for a couple of days

Post change run the engine and check when warm (after ten minute run switch off and check)

5w/30 most recommend Castrol,edge but any longlife 04 oil shall do (has to be LL04 for dpf longevity NOT LL01)

Dealer just supplied me with Mobil 1

Thank you.

Do you know how much oil I need to do full oil change including filter?

What grade oil should I use as I've still got the DPF on my N47?

I used castrol edge professional 0w-30 from main dealer on mine, £12.99 per ltr offer price (normal price was £21.99 I think). It's recommended from bmw and it's the best oil for DPF life. Mine's 2litre also LCI but m47 engine which took 5.5ltr of oil. If not sure put 5litres and start adding and then checking on the dipstick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used castrol edge professional 0w-30 from main dealer on mine, £12.99 per ltr offer price (normal price was £21.99 I think). It's recommended from bmw and it's the best oil for DPF life. Mine's 2litre also LCI but m47 engine which took 5.5ltr of oil. If not sure put 5litres and start adding and then checking on the dipstick.

Jesus wept!!!!

Reply to the original post.....

I also have an N47 engined 520D, a 2008 model.

The Oil filter cap is not the 36mm Hex like the 1 & 3 series N47 installations.

On the 5 series, the oil filter is taller and this taller filter requires a taller plastic cap.

The  correct tool has 14 flats, and is 74mm across the flats (if I remember correctly).

Either way it's definitely not the 36mm AF Hex like the N47 installations .

I use national tyres for my oil&Filter  changes, ~£50 every 10K miles..saves doing it yourself.

Peter.

Was looking for oil today to get ready for a change. Found this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-EDGE-5W-30-Synthetic-Engine/dp/B004GZQTQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402861342&sr=8-1&keywords=castrol+edge+5w30 

Which seems a good price. Is this the correct grade? It is not 'professional' recommended above...

Dave 

Jesus wept!!!!

That's because I don't go cheap when it comes to maintenance ;) It hasn't let me down in nearly 3 years now and with 118k on the clock it drives like new car.

Thank you so much all.

I got a vacuum pump for the oil change so should be really easy to do

Becareful with using a vacuum pump, i did this with mine but it only got out around 4.5-5 litres, which is about 2/3 of what mine takes.