Hey guys, 

Looked all over the interweb for a cure, but to no avail. 

I've replaced my problematic PDC sensors, but now I have another problem (or one that existed along with the problematic sensors). Before I replaced my faulty sensors, whenever I selected Reverse, I would get a continuous error tone, and sometimes it would be silent (no tone, not even when getting close to things).

I've replaced the faulty sensors and selected Reverse, and they worked the 1st time. "Great!" i thought. I locked the car and went back home. A few hours later, I went for a drive to the shop and when I selected reverse, there was not error tone, but there was also no beeps when getting close to objects. 

When I got home I selected reverse and still no sound. While still in reverse i decided to remove the bottom plug from the PDC module which caused the error tone to sound. I inserted the plug back in and it sounded the "beeps" presumably because I was standing behind the car, as I moved further away, there was more time between each beep (shows its working). I thought maybe it wasn't plugged in properly. I locked the car and went inside.

A few hours later, I selected reverse and nothing. Again I unplugged the bottom plug and plugged it back it and the PDC came to life. Immediately after this, I switched off the ignition and locked the car. After a short period of time (3 seconds) I unlocked the car and selected Reverse and the PDC worked. A few hours later it didn't.

Notes:

There are no error codes in INPA, all the sensors are clicking (I can feel and hear them), car only has rear sensors (1999 E39)

It's like once the car goes into sleep mode, I have to reset the PDC by unplugging and plugging it back it. Could the PDC module be faulty?

Many thanks

Edited by DerekJr.

I spent hours trying to code my module to only read the rear sensors, and had a similar thing... then I gave up, and the next day it was fine..... and has been for about a month since :-)

There are various options in the PDC module, and the error gong is one of them - it could be having an issue, but it could be an intermittant gond - does the light on the button blink the same every time???

I spent hours trying to code my module to only read the rear sensors, and had a similar thing... then I gave up, and the next day it was fine..... and has been for about a month since :smile:

There are various options in the PDC module, and the error gong is one of them - it could be having an issue, but it could be an intermittant gond - does the light on the button blink the same every time???

Nah, it only has rear PDC so there is no "PDC" button on the dash and only 2 connections on the PDC module. It's never done the error gong since replacing the sensors (only when disconnecting the plug). But to get the PDC working after leaving the car  for a while, i have to unplug the plug and plug it back it, then it starts working.....that is until i park the car and leave it for a few hours. 

My deepest apologies for reviving such an old thread, but I have been searching for days and this is the *only* one mention I have found that is EXACTLY the same problem as mine. Wondering if @DerekJr. ever managed to figure out what the issue is?
My process so far:
When I bought the car the PDC worked somewhat intermittently but about 80% of the time it was ok.
At some point I think a sensor died as I got the continuous tone issue.
I got around to buying a few sensors, did the touch test and found the left inner sensor was not clicking.
Replaced it and system came back to life. A few tests reverse forward reverse forward and all seemed well.
As per the OP, I happily closed up the car and went home.
Next morning, no PDC, not a beep, nothing.
Cleared some old errors in INPA - nothing. Thought it might be a dead module, bought a used known working one - installed it and boom, back to life!
HAppy days! UNtil the next start some hours later...  exactly as OP described.
Tried coding to car and reprogrammed ADFG - nothing.
The PDC consistently will work perfectly after unplugging the bottom connector on the module and plugging it back in, but after a fairly short time it just stops working again...

16 minutes ago, killamike said:

My deepest apologies for reviving such an old thread, but I have been searching for days and this is the *only* one mention I have found that is EXACTLY the same problem as mine. Wondering if @DerekJr. ever managed to figure out what the issue is?
My process so far:
When I bought the car the PDC worked somewhat intermittently but about 80% of the time it was ok.
I got around to buying a few sensors, did the touch test and found the left inner sensor was not clicking.
Replaced it and system came back to life. A few tests reverse forward reverse forward and all seemed well.
Cleared some old errors in INPA - nothing. Thought it might be a dead module, bought a used known working one - installed it and boom, back to life!
The PDC consistently will work perfectly after unplugging the bottom connector on the module and plugging it back in, but after a fairly short time it just stops working again...

Sounds like an intermittent fault with the PDC module; maybe get another and code it in and try that to see if it cures the issue?

However, do you have any corroded connections at all that you can see?

It also can be that if one sensor is out or heading that way, it can take the whole system out too

15 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Sounds like an intermittent fault with the PDC module; maybe get another and code it in and try that to see if it cures the issue?

However, do you have any corroded connections at all that you can see?

It also can be that if one sensor is out or heading that way, it can take the whole system out too

Thanks for the reply, appreciated! I tired getting a known working module and coded it, the behavior remains the same, so that's likely not it. My next thoughts were indeed cabling and more sensors although I hate wiring so have been putting that off for last. The curious thing is that it works perfectly after unplugging and plugging back in the module but only for a very short while, exactly like the OP described in the first post here, so was super curious if he had managed to figure it out. 

1 hour ago, killamike said:

Thanks for the reply, appreciated! I tired getting a known working module and coded it, the behavior remains the same, so that's likely not it. My next thoughts were indeed cabling and more sensors although I hate wiring so have been putting that off for last. The curious thing is that it works perfectly after unplugging and plugging back in the module but only for a very short while, exactly like the OP described in the first post here, so was super curious if he had managed to figure it out. 

That could be the same as unplugging one of the sensors and stopping the system from working and then plugging it back in

These are the sensors I've used on previous E39s and they've been faultless; the seller sells both types (straight connector and 90 degree connector):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-PDC-Parking-Sensor-E39-E46-E60-E61-E65-E66-E83-X3-X5-3-5-Series-66206989069/261795140919?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AE39&epid=652993716&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3cf434d537:g:OU8AAOSwzpFbIdYY&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWT7vwlMiqJkdb8XUHPJo%2F9nozN4d60LiP%2BGF6AAoNMnoX1HhfMopuTzSBvNOI3rCPpgj7ysPNVaf%2B5ac1NGf0YD%2BYRUdcA7tXlHIXkJk9RDQ58t%2FLCicwSMsGXwojnUMJ7%2B2bE5gCMXuos02gvnyiOFvyxvJcBlHZicHxRyVc63YKFJFOKzcslcCRa07oahgNgN31tqmn6EAYXLgWC7zF4cNw3QC6pLgOJPRnyduZsQlkIcesh%2F8fmLPZXVO3GS7hYamro4%2BAQMxXJv8dEJ6sKSiJdda1q0iUPohwQw5CftB%2BuemLznJYFj3pOwkQEikn4h8uKonQLNxIxZYgsBzu2KbezkKrOOgh8wA%2BDHuHO9BeJMJH3O%2FhWSJ%2BJ4O2AKGuFLMmBh7m%2BSGFVw92B5msS%2Bc3AeH8JGBFrqC%2F9tbFdqFQmgfE1c8Pgt8ljUMrbz%2Fu71vUW%2FQsSGD0hV21csTLyCsrf5EU4auZE0H9Ndl0xWbIabW8HAdzlFSed3nm39ay4VDsr0L4FWqz%2FLthrWfFqAmt3kV6TkLQMyc5GTxddkA%2FQnU%2BLWPSFYQ%2Bu7cZQ4mF1LYjBwqiAMj%2Blt%2ByInjn1d69U7XFJdNNerjUK%2B106AD5oo%2FEbDbeQ8A9oSsaQS8vuGJUvIZLe%2BG5lDx%2FxhGAbJHzWaH8BJE1UsdgbAAZSCvxH0wZVU%2FsfePqTfdq8qDeXkHHtYzbMFIs5znbbdEHW%2BSJCk65D9eWRoEHH7QilNA%3D%3D&checksum=2617951409196be2938fa6ee4dc6bec91d51bfa7c1d6

At their price; it's worth buying the 4 outer ones on each corner and replacing those as they're easy to do (the trim just pops off) and then see how the system reacts. If that doesn't sort it, sods law its one or a few of the inner sensors which is a bumper off (or loosened off) job

38 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

That could be the same as unplugging one of the sensors and stopping the system from working and then plugging it back in

These are the sensors I've used on previous E39s and they've been faultless; the seller sells both types (straight connector and 90 degree connector):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-PDC-Parking-Sensor-E39-E46-E60-E61-E65-E66-E83-X3-X5-3-5-Series-66206989069/261795140919?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AE39&epid=652993716&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3cf434d537:g:OU8AAOSwzpFbIdYY&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWT7vwlMiqJkdb8XUHPJo%2F9nozN4d60LiP%2BGF6AAoNMnoX1HhfMopuTzSBvNOI3rCPpgj7ysPNVaf%2B5ac1NGf0YD%2BYRUdcA7tXlHIXkJk9RDQ58t%2FLCicwSMsGXwojnUMJ7%2B2bE5gCMXuos02gvnyiOFvyxvJcBlHZicHxRyVc63YKFJFOKzcslcCRa07oahgNgN31tqmn6EAYXLgWC7zF4cNw3QC6pLgOJPRnyduZsQlkIcesh%2F8fmLPZXVO3GS7hYamro4%2BAQMxXJv8dEJ6sKSiJdda1q0iUPohwQw5CftB%2BuemLznJYFj3pOwkQEikn4h8uKonQLNxIxZYgsBzu2KbezkKrOOgh8wA%2BDHuHO9BeJMJH3O%2FhWSJ%2BJ4O2AKGuFLMmBh7m%2BSGFVw92B5msS%2Bc3AeH8JGBFrqC%2F9tbFdqFQmgfE1c8Pgt8ljUMrbz%2Fu71vUW%2FQsSGD0hV21csTLyCsrf5EU4auZE0H9Ndl0xWbIabW8HAdzlFSed3nm39ay4VDsr0L4FWqz%2FLthrWfFqAmt3kV6TkLQMyc5GTxddkA%2FQnU%2BLWPSFYQ%2Bu7cZQ4mF1LYjBwqiAMj%2Blt%2ByInjn1d69U7XFJdNNerjUK%2B106AD5oo%2FEbDbeQ8A9oSsaQS8vuGJUvIZLe%2BG5lDx%2FxhGAbJHzWaH8BJE1UsdgbAAZSCvxH0wZVU%2FsfePqTfdq8qDeXkHHtYzbMFIs5znbbdEHW%2BSJCk65D9eWRoEHH7QilNA%3D%3D&checksum=2617951409196be2938fa6ee4dc6bec91d51bfa7c1d6

At their price; it's worth buying the 4 outer ones on each corner and replacing those as they're easy to do (the trim just pops off) and then see how the system reacts. If that doesn't sort it, sods law its one or a few of the inner sensors which is a bumper off (or loosened off) job

Thanks! Yeah, that makes sense. I did only replace easy ones, as I was loath to take the whole bumper off :D So sods law it is i guess...  
I've got the pre-face versions however, only rear, that have the tapered top and bottom, but will check if that seller has the older types available. Thanks!

On 25/02/2020 at 15:41, killamike said:

My process so far:

In the end, I bought used genuine sensors which fixed the fault. New non-genuine ones are crap from my experience above.

I've never managed to get aftermarket sensors to work for long either.  Always ended up changing for used genuine.

6 hours ago, DerekJr. said:

In the end, I bought used genuine sensors which fixed the fault. New non-genuine ones are crap from my experience above.

Zero issues for me and the sensors I linked to; that's why I recommend them.

They never failed when fitted and with the 2 year warranty the seller provides; that's enough to show you that they're made well

Horses for courses 

9 hours ago, DerekJr. said:

3 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

I've never managed to get aftermarket sensors to work for long either.  Always ended up changing for used genuine.

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Zero issues for me and the sensors I linked to; that's why I recommend them.

They never failed when fitted and with the 2 year warranty the seller provides; that's enough to show you that they're made well

Horses for courses 

Awesome, thanks guys! OK so good to know its likely just crap sensors! I must admit i bought some cheap-ass ones, gonna just try get either oem or some high-quality ones like d_a_n1979 suggested.

Normally if it's the sensors I've been able to see the issues on inpa.  There are tests you can run.  It's not just about seeing faults you can see what they are doing.

12 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Normally if it's the sensors I've been able to see the issues on inpa.  There are tests you can run.  It's not just about seeing faults you can see what they are doing.

Indeed, I did check them through inpa, and the behaviour is odd. All the sensors register distance values (and I can feel them tick when touching them), but I'm guessing some of them must be on the edge of whatever voltage or signal monitoring the module looks for and at some point it switches off the system. Inpa tells me the "switch on" value is "off" in that situation. Hence i originally did not suspect sensors (after having replaced an obviously faulty one - but then I was getting the long beep).
My symptoms however are 1:1 with DerekJr's - exact same behaviour, and he resolved it with better sensors, so i'm going to try that next and hope for the best.