Fish

Fish - My Carbon Black E39 M5 - Steering Wheel done!

Sophisticated on the inside, lunatic animal on the outside

What you need now is a x pipe to give it a proper growl, which some really nice fella is selling in the parts section........

Lol

Sophisticated on the inside, lunatic animal on the outside

What you need now is a x pipe to give it a proper growl, which some really nice fella is selling in the parts section........

Lol

Really??? Wonder who that could be ha ha!

Buy a magic eraser from your local supermarket , I use the ones from the Range superstores.They'll bring your Steering wheel up like new in a matt finish.You'll be amazed how much dirt a steering wheel can carry thats why its shiny.When i done my wheel the eraser was covered in grime.

There around £1 - £1.50. 

Edited by Jay_w

Hey Mike, the slip ring, how does it go? Im looking at doing my steering wheel this weekend.

looking good pal!

To be honest once your old wheel is off and you offer the new one up, it all becomes pretty clear mate. Just line the 2 mounting holes up and the splines on the steering wheel and your away. It was really easy once you get stuck in.

Buy a magic eraser from your local supermarket , I use the ones from the Range superstores.They'll bring your Steering wheel up like new in a matt finish.You'll be amazed how much dirt a steering wheel can carry thats why its shiny.When i done my wheel the eraser was covered in grime.

There around £1 - £1.50.

Cool! Good tip!!

Thought I should do a bit of an update as I have been a bit quite lately. Reason is both me and the missus have changed into days at work and our little lad is now in nursery, which means I'm starting to have a little time to start playing again. I have a few bits in the pipeline... Cellis upgrade, E38 illuminated handles and also want to do an oil change, however I thought I would have a go at the paintwork as it's something I haven't really got to grips with since owning her.

Now the paint isn't bad to be honest, yes it's got some swirls and some bird shit damage on the roof, but for its age it's really good. I would like to have a correction detail done at some point but that's something for the future.

So I know people swear by certain products, and others wouldn't clean a toilet with it... Here's what I have used this time.

Car cleaned with Dodo juice shampoo and patted dry. Clayed with Bilt Hamber clay bar. Polished with Autglym SRP (don't say it!) Washed again with clean water and patted dry to remove powder, before going over entire car with Poorboys Black Hole. To finish off I waxed with Dodo juice purple haze which seemed to give a better result on Carbon Black than Blue Velvet. Then I got completely ott and bought some Collinite 915 and went over with that too!

Now I'm no pro (as you can tell from the mishmash of products) but the end result is fantastic. Sorry for the pictures, but I wasn't going to start the car just to reverse it out the garage!

a1426ea1b0a98f312630a63fbd5d40b4.jpg0bccf549688d04308dd5a7cb08686143.jpgeaeeb53e46b482b88c74bc572628224f.jpgcabf6dbc46df4bbc423447274b6db793.jpg04f174e8e41f14f4a6c738feb570a41a.jpg

Oh and one for the caramel fans

3d154f74a309fa6feec0e5b9d960cc5d.jpg

Edited by Fish

I have to say Mike, that does look very nice.  I like SRP as well.

Once I have paintwork to be "proud" of, I will likely use AG HD Wax as I've never seen it give a poor result.

I'm coming through Leicestershire this evening, Maybe you wont notice that I've swapped our cars :D

Edited by Angrydog

I have to say Mike, that does look very nice. I like SRP as well.

Once I have paintwork to be "proud" of, I will likely use AG HD Wax as I've never seen it give a poor result.

I'm coming through Leicestershire this evening, Maybe you wont notice that I've swapped our cars :D

I will notice you have swapped, you still have that old steering wheel on ha ha ha sorry mate couldn't resist

Really need to give mine a polish, so many swirls & marks on it, plus it's a bit flat, seeing yours makes me realise how bad it is LOL

I will notice you have swapped, you still have that old steering wheel on ha ha ha sorry mate couldn't resist

Damn hahaha.  It's getting done this week haha