Mazi

Russ Fellows E39 M5 manifolds

Anybody heard of this guys manifolds. Opinions?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I think I read somewhere (probably m5board) that he's making them by using an evolve manifold as a template. Someone in Indonesia or Malaysia has fitted one but I haven't read any feedback yet.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Was he not the guy that designed the Evolve manifolds?

I heard he worked with Evolve

Russ Fellows used to work for CPR -  Car Planet Racing up in Warrington, before the whole thing closed under a cloud.

That's not to say Russ is or was involved in any of that. The owners up there shat on the staff, of which I believe Russ was , or at least did some work for. I actually bought my car from CPR.

He's pretty well known in the drag world and also know for his fab'ing skills.

Yes he worked with Evolve on their 4-2-1 manifolds and if anything was more behind the design and build than they were. I think M5Russ on here went up to CPR in Warrington to have his exhaust fitted under the Evolve banner (not Luton) which says a lot about where they were actually developed.

Also notice how now CPR has folded, that Evolve don't offer the 4-2-1 design anymore? Also how they now offer the 4-1 design which is actually made by Supersprint, albeit under a slightly different guise by Evolve.

What that says to me at least is the guys making the exhausts are more often than not the ideas and skill which then sits behind the whole company banner marketing of it.

I'd have a Russ Fellows system in a heartbeat, in fact i did tentatively enquire a little while back and he was very nice and responsive via email, as far as asking would i like to come down and view a set being made at his Cheshire premises.

If you can put out of your mind the shitty CPR business that was instigated by the owners, and look at some of their stuff they did online regarding things like the 900 odd HP Evo, you can see what some of the individual talents the staff were at CPR, and i'd say Russ was one of them.

Edited by jamiepeers

I wonder what he charges for them compared to Evolve or Supersprint?

Also what are the pros & cons of 4-2-1 vs 4-1

In a nutshell 4-1 are supposedly a little better for out and out power above about 5000RPM on our cars. 4-2-1 sacrifices supposedly a small amount of headline gain for better gains through most of the rev range.

That was according to Evolve a while back when they were producing 4-2-1 manifolds though. Who knows what their spin is now they've junked the 4-2-1 design?

My mistake, it was a chap in Thailand that bought one.

Post #14 onwards is interesting as the Evolve chaps don't seem to be best pleased that the manifolds are being made without their permission....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/348545-russ-fellows-4-2-1-cats-midsection-incoming-2.html

Just to add that RichardP has got the original 4,2,1's fitted so it might be worth comparing any feedback he has to someone with the 4-1's.

I have done research on various manifolds, lengths, bends, joins etc. 4-1 are better suited to cars that live at the top of the rev range. 4-2-1 are better for everywhere else

I have one of the few sets of Evolve 4-2-1 headers, they were fitted at CPR, Russ was the guy they brought in to do the welding. As far as I could tell he was not really employed by them on a regular basis but rather ad hoc when they needed welding doing.

I'm not sure exactly how did the design, I rather think it was a joint effort between several people, but Evolve owned the rights. I don't think Super Sprint were involved, but someone from a larger exhaust manufacturer was I think.

Sal said that they changed from the 4-2-1 to 4-1 design for several reasons :

- the 4-2-1 were expensive to make

- the 4-2-1 were more difficult to fit, the 4-1 are fitted to each cylinder individually, so are much easier to thread through the available space.

- I believe the 4-1 have the same design for both RH and LH drive cars which makes them cheaper to make, especially for the RHD cars.

- Most people liked the higher headline power numbers from the 4-1 and due to the long design Sal reckoned that the low end torque was not too bad. Some 4-1 designs produce less low end torque than a poor stock 4-2-1 design.

However, there is no doubt that the id range torque produced by the 4-2-1 design is higher than the 4-1 design.

Here's a picture of mine

DSC_2130a.jpg

The dyno plot after the re-map

M5EvolveHeadersAndCats.jpg

and a comparison I did of the Torque of the stock BMW headers (BMW figures), the Dinan 4-2-1 headers (Dinan data) and my car as shown on the dyno.

M5%20Torque%20Comparison.png

It seems to me that there is little between manifold designs from a performance point of view. The 4-2-1 do make a little more power lower down in the rev range but seeing as the S62 isn't exactly short of low down shove I'm not sure you'd miss it with a 4-1 system.

As the 4-2-1 manifolds are no longer available it's irrelevant anyway.

Evolve, Supersprint or this guys - take your pick, they will all give a decent improvement over the standard manifolds. It's a shame that Van Manen manifolds are no longer available as from a quality point of view they were in a league of their own.

As Jamie has said, my car was taken by Evolve to CPR for the exhaust and lots of other work. I never actually went there myself but all I can say is that several years on, my car has not missed a beat. 

Your car was there when mine was done Russ, it was being wheeled around on a trolley as most of the suspension had been taken off!

Hello All,

It's my car that has the Russ Fellows 4-2-1 manifolds in Thailand! I got the the manifolds, cats and centre section all installed now , though I was pretty worried about if being too loud or having boom/drone but it's fantastic :)

I'm holding off on a tune as I'm gunning for some heads and cams first... 

Oh, and I bought my car from this forum and had it shipped to Bangkok ;)

Hello All,

It's my car that has the Russ Fellows 4-2-1 manifolds in Thailand! I got the the manifolds, cats and centre section all installed now , though I was pretty worried about if being too loud or having boom/drone but it's fantastic :)

Not dissimilar to the setup I have.

Oh, and I bought my car from this forum and had it shipped to Bangkok ;)

So is that a RHD car? Any chance of the last 7 digits of the VIN, by PM if you like! :)

Edit: Must be a RHD car for the manifolds to fit, Doh! So that's one less car in the UK.

Edited by RichardP