Spice-Boy

Fitting OBD2 m52b28 to my E34 525 sport - SHE RUNS! 99.9% COMPLETE

So, following on from Jamesf I have had the urge to plumb in a 2.8 while I take my time sourcing the parts for my superstroker...

I picked up an early engine with 89k on the clock and was a complete lump so had all sorts on there including a full obd2 loom, great as I plan to make a hybrid loom to negate the need to drill the head for the second temp sensor...

Yesterday I got new oil filter housing and sump gaskets, engine is almost physically ready to fit into the car :smile:

The headache will be the loom, I think I've got it mostly worked out. A real nice bonus of it being an early engine with the loom is it fits nicely with my future plan to make the car obd2 compliant with the port etc... It's the exact loom and sensors that I required to do this :smile:

Oh, I'll add some pics later when I get home :grin:

Edited by Spice-Boy

Some pics from today...

y6a5apy4.jpg

8uqevuqy.jpg

a8ahuda5.jpg

anysagaj.jpg

emejumu4.jpg

4u8a9u6e.jpg

So much to say, but I'll let the pics do the talking for me, lol

I can see this becoming very, very popular....

It's the M50 migration into e30s all over again! ;)

So what does obd2 really gain? More tweakable with a laptop?

Well... Instead of needing the ecu to be chipped you can Map the m52 ecu, it's also faster at processing information and making adjustments, more adaptable etc...

Also, the sensors will be made for longer, are more available (more on shelf stock), parts are more common now (looms)...

Most importantly, the engines are cheap and plentiful, with the bonus of the nice power hike with the m50 manifold etc...

I want obd2 for the reasons above and so I can plug a reader into the port for real time info...

the engines are getting rare now, cook one and your in trouble, It wasn't long ago an M52 was £500 all day long. 

I can see from your pictures, oil leaks to sort rocker gasket and oil filter housing?! , a plastic thermostat housing that needs changing to the ECP ali ones and no M50 inlet manifold fitted. You wanna bin that dual mass flywheel also get a lightened M20 flywheel and clutch on there. She'll go a treat then

If you were feeling flush some S52 cams really wake these up and with the right remap your looking at 240bhp easy 220lbs and economy an M30 can only dream of. 

You make a lot of valid points bumbaclut, most of which have already been covered :-)

Meanwhile, in the sticks up some valley in wales...

ryquvegu.jpg

vetu7e8a.jpg

gega8a5e.jpg

You missed the candle too lol...

My partner took the photo and included items from her evening too...

Although, I do like imperial leather... Because I'm worth it ha ha

Well... Today is the day I'm swapping the lumps... Wish me luck!

The process will include the sump swap, oil pickup and engine mounts...

As mentioned, I should do a manifold swap and change the flywheel and clutch but lack of funds mean I can't do either at this stage but in a couple of weeks the manifold will be replaced as it is a logical change :-)

Surely someone has an m20 flywheel, clutch and starter for cheap?

Can't you rob the intake off the old motor?

Good luck, I'm following yours and James' progress so I can keep my mechanic efficient ;)

I sold my manifold in the expectation that I wouldn't need it lol

Also managed to snap a sump bolt, it's reachable if I take the sump back off but a ball ache that I didn't need!

At least the oil pickup and engine mounts are done :-D

First of all I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone that has helped me so far! :-)

As it stands, she is in!!

da2a8ydu.jpg

e5y8y5ag.jpg

3a5a8a3a.jpg

uvury4us.jpg

gepepupu.jpg

qegu2uba.jpg

Still a long way to go but a big step forward :-D

Fantastic work mate, you are flying through this. How much effort was it taking the bonnet slam panel off? I didn't do mine as I followed the Bentley manual and it didn't suggest doing that. Wish I had as tilting the engine in was difficult.  

Aren't the front slam panels welded at all?  Theres seem sealer i remember when i had the engine out of the bi turbo i left it on for this reason as i didn't want it to look like it had been apart.

Aren't the front slam panels welded at all?  Theres seem sealer i remember when i had the engine out of the bi turbo i left it on for this reason as i didn't want it to look like it had been apart.

That's what I thought, interested to know how spice boy has done his

Aren't the front slam panels welded at all? Theres seem sealer i remember when i had the engine out of the bi turbo i left it on for this reason as i didn't want it to look like it had been apart.

That's what I thought, interested to know how spice boy has done his

Nope, it's just like most bmw parts, just nuts and bolts and it's all off :-) was easier than a hen party in Blackpool, only sod was the power steering fluid cooler lol

Ah i see, people say they unbolt from e36's also but i reality there are two spot welds which need drilling out also that most fail to mention. Hence why i asked!  Coming on nicely. Knock sensor looks well doggy below the inlet! 

Spiceboy,

what's the situation with the accelerator pedal?

I thought OBD2 used electronic pedals or were the early ones still cable in someway?

If it is fly by wire, how are you doing the conversion?

Good to see a lack of rust in the engine bay.

Geoff

Ah i see, people say they unbolt from e36's also but i reality there are two spot welds which need drilling out also that most fail to mention. Hence why i asked! Coming on nicely. Knock sensor looks well doggy below the inlet!

Yeah they are the worn ones from my original engine, placed there to make sure I'm reminded to get new ones lol

Spiceboy,

what's the situation with the accelerator pedal?

I thought OBD2 used electronic pedals or were the early ones still cable in someway?

If it is fly by wire, how are you doing the conversion?

Good to see a lack of rust in the engine bay.

Geoff

The tb on the engine is compatible with my cable but I'll be using my m50 tb, it's the M54 tb that is drive by wire :-)

Yeah I'm thankful that there is a lack of rust in the bay, and on the whole car in general :-)

Hi fellas, just popping in from the E28 forum with a really dim question.

Is the engine that came out an M20?

Are you saying that you swap the sump from the M20 to the M54?

What do you do about the oil pump etc?