1UP

Full remap from e-maps....coming soon ;)

Well have the 535d booked in with Simon on the 3rd April so will be interesting to see what sort of difference it makes over the SpeedHawk unit I have currently.

Decided on a full map as I want to eek the max out of the car where the SpeedHawk is limited on what it can do in some areas.

Will keep you posted......

Edited by 1UP

I was wondering the same thing. So what's a 'half map' ? LOL.

Do you mean the maps uploaded then the levels checked by Simon whilst out on a drive?

He does take the car out for a test drive after mapping it and mainly monitors the lambda readings. He was monitoring some other things, but I was too busy trying not to soil myself to pay much attention to the laptop.

Yeah that's what he did with me.

I had mine mapped with a friend and his 530d was smoking more so he made a call, asked them to wind the fuel in a bit and 30mims later uploaded the tweaked map and less smoke.

I guess that's the beauty of emaps or similar rather than a tuning box.

I was wondering the same thing. So what's a 'half map' ? LOL.

Do you mean the maps uploaded then the levels checked by Simon whilst out on a drive?

Sorry its my terminology, what I mean by a full map is an ecu map rather than the tuning box I have currently. The Speedhawk is a variable mapped box (currently on an aggressive map) but obviously works in tandem with the ecu so it will be interesting to see the difference when its removed and a full ecu map.

Ecotune get 365bhp and 760Nm from the x35 lump, it's something they spent ages on perfecting on a 335d, but works perfectly on the 535d as well.

More can be gained quite easily but i'm not sure if it would be as smooth. Changing the turbos and intercooler will easily get you 440 bhp and aparently the gearbox can handle it..

My gearbox quite easily copes with my engines performance and has proven itself on Austec racing's rolling road

Edited by Blobby

Ecotune get 365bhp and 760Nm from the x35 lump, it's something they spent ages on perfecting on a 335d, but works perfectly on the 535d as well.

More can be gained quite easily but i'm not sure if it would be as smooth. Changing the turbos and intercooler will easily get you 440 bhp and aparently the gearbox can handle it..

My gearbox quite easily copes with my engines performance and has proven itself on Austec racing's rolling road

This actually lead me into a nice secondary question, does anyone know the limits of the autobox? I know its a subjective question as anything above standard is technically taking it outside of BMW limits but what sort of HP/torque are people maxing out on these boxes? I had a TT Supra before on auto with BPU ~400hp and that was fine but not many people took it beyond 480-500hp without uprating to a low stall torque converter (mainly for drag racing). Just curious as to what the standard unmodified BMW box will take?

Emaps will take the pre-LCI to 660nm and the LCI to 700nm. I am not sure if those are ZF's limits or the limits tuners have found to be the maximum before the gearbox triggers a safe/limp mode.

Of course some will roll the dice and take them much higher, but those people probably have much more expendable income than I do. :)

There's a guy called Tiago from Portugal on a different forum.  his produces 442hp 847Nm on a pre-LCI

http://forums.5series.net/e60-parts-accessories-mods-22/2006-e61-535d-442hp-625tq-129561/

He reckons his gearbox is fine.

I would say if you running it at Santa Pod every day the gearbox will soon be fried, but normal road use with the occasional blatt should be fine.

His car has had quite extensive work done to it. I wouldn't be surprised if the gearbox torque limit was raised or even removed on his car. I have heard of other cars triggering gearbox limp mode when remapped too high.

I'm pretty sure the LCI cars share the same ZF 6hp28 gearbox, between the 530d and 535d at least (probably 525d too) which has a 700nm upper limit - http://appsprod01.zf.com/zf.productDataBase/service/mediaFiles?levelTypeName=Products&levelID=336222&mediaFileName=6HP_2ndGen_EN_2006s.pdf

From memory, the pre-LCI cars had the 6hp26 transmission and the limit was something like 600nm for 525/530d and 660nm for the 535d

Its one of the reasons I felt 'secure' having my 530d remapped, knowing it had a 535d gearbox. 

There's a guy called Tiago from Portugal on a different forum.  his produces 442hp 847Nm on a pre-LCI

He reckons his gearbox is fine.

I would say if you running it at Santa Pod every day the gearbox will soon be fried, but normal road use with the occasional blatt should be fine.

Interesting, I think I will stick to the upper safe limits but its good to know that people are willing to explore the potential. Actually in the video he shares the same thing I have now having changed the exhaust and that is turbo whistle.

His is much more pronounced than mine I guess due to his turbo upgrade and full cat/dpf delete but if I blip mine you get a bit of turbo whistle/rush though the exhaust system. Im not a fan of this actually but it is something to be mindful of if you do change the pipes and delete the rear box.

Edited by 1UP

I'm pretty sure the LCI cars share the same ZF 6hp28 gearbox, between the 530d and 535d at least (probably 525d too) which has a 700nm upper limit - http://appsprod01.zf.com/zf.productDataBase/service/mediaFiles?levelTypeName=Products&levelID=336222&mediaFileName=6HP_2ndGen_EN_2006s.pdf

From memory, the pre-LCI cars had the 6hp26 transmission and the limit was something like 600nm for 525/530d and 660nm for the 535d

Its one of the reasons I felt 'secure' having my 530d remapped, knowing it had a 535d gearbox. 

Have you got a link showing that the 6HP28 was fitted to the E60?. The link above shows the improvements in the 2nd generation gearbox, not which cars they were fitted to.

BMW list the same gearbox code for both pre-LCI and LCI cars.

Interesting, I think I will stick to the upper safe limits but its good to know that people are willing to explore the potential. Actually in the video he shares the same thing I have now having changed the exhaust and that is turbo whistle.

His is much more pronounced than mine I guess due to his turbo upgrade and full cat/dpf delete but if I blip mine you get a bit of turbo whistle/rush though the exhaust system. Im not a fan of this actually but it is something to be mindful of if you do change the pipes and delete the rear box.

I get a similar whistle/whine and my original cat and backbox are in place. I actually like the sound.

Have you got a link showing that the 6HP28 was fitted to the E60?. The link above shows the improvements in the 2nd generation gearbox, not which cars they were fitted to.

BMW list the same gearbox code for both pre-LCI and LCI cars.

I'll have to do some digging around, but iirc the pre-LCI box was 6hp26 and the LCI box referred to as 6hp26z by BMW but when i looked into it was the 6hp28.

Sadly , this is based on trawling the internet and mostly links from german forums etc. 

edit: there is some info here from someone claiming to work for ZF and a few others - http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/in-welchem-bmw-6hp28-530d-535d-t4309512.html

Edited by tej

Both pre and LCI have a 6HP26Z according to BMW. That forum poster claims that the 6HP28 is what BMW call the 6HP26TU, except I can't find any reference on the BMW part lists to  "6HP26TU".

It's not a massive deal, just curious.

Not ideal as you have to translate it, but when I bought mine I did quite a lot of reading/searching and was convinced from what I found that the LCI 530d and 535d have the same gearbox with the same upper torque limits (which was definately higher than the pre-LCI 530d's limit)  :) I'll be damned if I can find any of that info now though!

Edited by tej

I have heard the same that the LCI has a higher torque limit. What I don't know is whether that is due to upgraded internals or ZF realizing (after many years in service) that the box could safely handle more power so the previous limit was raised.

I think the whistle will be more prevalent on the 535d due to the smaller turbo spinning at lower RPMs. On cars with the single turbos they won't be spinning as fast at low RPMs.

I think the whistle will be more prevalent on the 535d due to the smaller turbo spinning at lower RPMs. On cars with the single turbos they won't be spinning as fast at low RPMs.

I will try and get a video posted of the exhaust sound after the new map. Its actually less of a whistle on mine more of a 'woosh' if that makes sense. Tomorrow it gets mapped so will put something up soon.

Are you mapping with DPF still in place?

Yes, kept the DPF as (fingers crossed) its OK for the moment and I want to keep the sooting to a minimum.