staffordcox

Keyfob battery change?

Has anybody ever replaced the battery on their key fob?  I watched a couple of YouTube videos and thought it looked easy.  I'm buggered if I can get the bloody thing apart!!

Do you have comfort access?. If you don't then the battery is not replaceable...well, not meant to be replaced.

I am sure I have heard of people cutting the seal on the non-replaceable key fobs. The battery is soldered in so you would need to remove and solder in the new battery.

I'm guessing not. My key is just a normal BMW key that doesn't fold in. What does comfort access do that a normal key doesn't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No BMW keys fold in. Do you mean you have the type that has a fixed blade with diamond shaped alarm plipper?. If so, those don't have user replaceable batteries, but some people have performed "surgery" to get them open and change the battery. Do a google search for "BMW diamond key battery".

Thanks mate, that's the one I've got. I guess BMW will sell me a new one for some ridiculous fee if not :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have comfort access?. If you don't then the battery is not replaceable...well, not meant to be replaced.

I am sure I have heard of people cutting the seal on the non-replaceable key fobs. The battery is soldered in so you would need to remove and solder in the new battery.

Redtwin is correct...

Standard diamond keys charge in the ignition barrel. Comfort keys have a replaceable battery.

New key is main dealer only with proof of ownership, (V5) and personal ID required.  Keys are not available mail order, in person only at main dealer.

Edited by Glos Lar

If you have Romb/Diamond key then you can find step-by-step instructions from here: http://www.bmwgm5.com/kf_repair.htm

Battery what you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Panasonic-VL2020-Battery-for-BMW-E46-E39-E60-E9x-Key-Fobs-/271167789268

Edited by Jaak Kõivistik