Mazi

E39 Nav Knob Upgrade

Been reading about the Nav knob upgrade. The Storm Motorwerks ones look good but are expensive.

Someone mentioned 1 series knobs and they look quite good.

Has anyone fitted them?

Are they plug and play?

Do I need knobs from a car with nav or is it just the stereo knobs?

Cheers for the link Mazi, think I actually prefer the 1 series knobs, the others look good / well made but stick out a little bit too much for me I think.

I have changed mine. I will take a pic later but I think they are e90 ones. They are slimmer so they allow a orange light around them to glow and there is a very small ring of chrome. A great little mod.

EDIT - just looked at the link above and I have the 1 series ones (I think).

Edited by M5 Russ

Cool Russ look forward to the pic.

Mazi we could always ask Phil @ Cotswolds to get some ordered for us? Maybe a group buy? Just thinking out loud really.

Well I decided that although they're rather expensive the car deserved the illuminated knobs.....

post-42464-0-85256400-1395057959.jpg

They are lovely and definitely match the rest of the car as far as quality goes - it took me ages to decide to spend the money though!

Edited by BarryM

Yep, they're the Storm motorwerks knobs, tbh the second illumination ring isn't so visible from the driver's seat but they do finish off the nav unit very nicely. I'd spent enough on the cooling system lately and thought I needed to waste some money on something I actually wanted :-)   

Edited by BarryM

Ok what I will do is send a message to Phil and see what prices we can get for say 10 sets, if he will post them or if I will have to do it etc...

We are sure they are E90 tho yeah?

What do the Storm Motorwerks one's cost just for comparison? Rich - didn't you get yours cheap I seem to remember reading? Did you find a cheap seller or was it just right place at the right time mate?

Edited by Fish

What do the Storm Motorwerks one's cost just for comparison? Rich - didn't you get yours cheap I seem to remember reading? Did you find a cheap seller or was it just right place at the right time mate?

I was lucky and got mine secondhand off someone I knew who was selling his E46

Not sure I would pay full price...

I was lucky and got mine secondhand off someone I knew who was selling his E46

Not sure I would pay full price...

Ok mate cool.... Thought I remembered reading that.

Yeah, too much would be overkill IMO, plus having had metal gear knobs in the past, they are freezing in winter and red hot in summer, I'll stick to leather

Edited by Rich_D

Update - Cotswolds not 100% on the part number for the 1 series knobs as 2 are showing. Photo's sent to them and PM to jamiepeers incase he has the part numbers to hand.