Fish

Caramel Leather advice please - Updated with Pics!

Hello,

I have Caramel extended leather in my E39, and I can tell the leather has had some treatment before. The finish on the seats is a little more "matt" than other area's of the car, and I think they have used an airbrush as the phone in the middle has over spray on it in the same colour.

This is my interior as it stands:

P1020270_zps273334e9.jpg

To be honest its pretty good apart from the bits that aren't (obvious I suppose!). You can see what I mean about the fronts looking matt compared to the rear bench.

P1020267_zps18248c93.jpg

The colour match is really good to be honest, just the finish is different.

The worst parts, and I guess what I would like advice on is the armrest, and front door cards. The armrest is worn quite a bit, but the door cards are really shiny and discoloured.

P1020264_zps5347e6d9.jpg

P1020263_zpsbd53c870.jpg

P1020260_zps6c5240df.jpg

P1020261_zps15bf2b9c.jpg

P1020262_zps502d8550.jpg

Do you think the scuff master kits would bring this back or is it too far gone? I have no experience with leather renovation apart from what I have read on here. I use gliptone on the good leather to keep it nice that's it!

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Fish

You might be interested in my threads...

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/68268-liams-e39-530i-sport-work-and-retrofits/

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/81714-interior-change-started

Shows what is possible with the scuffmaster stuff. In one of them you'll see the before and after photos of the door cards and dash parts that Bespoke restored for me, and I did seats, centre console and trims myself. Your stuff definitely doesn't look too far gone - it could be brought back to near-new standard whether you entrust it to John at Bespoke or have a go yourself.

Beautiful interior by the way - Caramel complete leather is awesome! (Sadly though, another car that confirms to me they must never have made the leather upper dash for RHD cars :()

Thanks Liam!

Im sure I can sort a leather upper dash for you :-)

Fish,

Your leather looks quite good and I would expect a very good finish from a dye renovation.,

Nothing I can see in the pictures you have posted makes me think that the leather is past it

Personally I would be looking at a near factory/Factory finish .

Doorcards and armrest will need some correction in-between the dyeing process such as the wear and light scratches but the end result for the extra detailed work will be worth it.

Its difficult to see the difference in finish and shade with pictures on the web but I suspect (as you have confirmed) the front seats may have has some work, as they are matt and the rears have more of a gloss which leads me to think the gloss is a natural build up of buffed debris/silicones which have settled on the leather.

So for the rear bench I would recommend and renovation to remove all the deposits and help the leather pore breath, then renovate to a caramel Matt finish.

If I can get me hands and eyes on the leather ill be able to advise a little better.

If the phone has overspray on it (pet hate) then I suspect the front seats have been renovated whilst fitted, I would remove and strip everything to prevent this. 

Caramel is actually quite a light colour when applied in thin coats so you will use a little more.

Would you like us to supply the dye or offer to renovate?

Rear bench- rework any marks, deep clean and renovate caramel

All doorcards -rework any marks, deep clean and renovate caramel, check wear areas, reword again and renovate to finish

Armrest-rework any marks, deep clean and renovate caramel, check wear areas , rework medium wear again and renovate to finish

I would suspect there a multitude to shades throughout the interior which will down to about of use on a  given part

If you would like to discuss this please contact me on 0121 439 5633

Using Gliptone to care for the leather is perfect

Hope this has been of help to you

John

Leather dash top only cam on lhd cars.

My car has the extended leather in black.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

You might be interested in my threads...

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/68268-liams-e39-530i-sport-work-and-retrofits/

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/81714-interior-change-started

Shows what is possible with the scuffmaster stuff. In one of them you'll see the before and after photos of the door cards and dash parts that Bespoke restored for me, and I did seats, centre console and trims myself. Your stuff definitely doesn't look too far gone - it could be brought back to near-new standard whether you entrust it to John at Bespoke or have a go yourself.

Beautiful interior by the way - Caramel complete leather is awesome! (Sadly though, another car that confirms to me they must never have made the leather upper dash for RHD cars :()

Liam,

Thanks for the comments mate, I have read through your threads from start to finish and you car is stunning. I would love to be able to bring my interior up to the standard of yours. I also agree completely with your choice of a black carpet, I think that really makes the Caramel stand out. I think the standard carpet doesn't really do the car many favours now its showing its age, and tends to look a little grubby.

Great work mate, stunning.

Thanks Liam!

Im sure I can sort a leather upper dash for you :-)

Fish,

Your leather looks quite good and I would expect a very good finish from a dye renovation.,

Nothing I can see in the pictures you have posted makes me think that the leather is past it

Personally I would be looking at a near factory/Factory finish .

Doorcards and armrest will need some correction in-between the dyeing process such as the wear and light scratches but the end result for the extra detailed work will be worth it.

Its difficult to see the difference in finish and shade with pictures on the web but I suspect (as you have confirmed) the front seats may have has some work, as they are matt and the rears have more of a gloss which leads me to think the gloss is a natural build up of buffed debris/silicones which have settled on the leather.

So for the rear bench I would recommend and renovation to remove all the deposits and help the leather pore breath, then renovate to a caramel Matt finish.

If I can get me hands and eyes on the leather ill be able to advise a little better.

If the phone has overspray on it (pet hate) then I suspect the front seats have been renovated whilst fitted, I would remove and strip everything to prevent this. 

Caramel is actually quite a light colour when applied in thin coats so you will use a little more.

Would you like us to supply the dye or offer to renovate?

Rear bench- rework any marks, deep clean and renovate caramel

All doorcards -rework any marks, deep clean and renovate caramel, check wear areas, reword again and renovate to finish

Armrest-rework any marks, deep clean and renovate caramel, check wear areas , rework medium wear again and renovate to finish

I would suspect there a multitude to shades throughout the interior which will down to about of use on a  given part

If you would like to discuss this please contact me on 0121 439 5633

Using Gliptone to care for the leather is perfect

Hope this has been of help to you

John

John,

That's a great help mate thanks and good to know it's not as bad as first thought. To be honest after looking at some of the other threads from people who have treated nasty looking seat's and total changes of colour, I think I would like to have a go myself to start with.

If possible could I try a 500ml kit with the cleaner and conditioner please. If you could PM me the details.

Also PM on its way anyway... other ideas as I type. :-P

Just to update this thread. I wanted to show some of the outstanding work that John has done for me, I have my project thread here:http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/96938-fish-my-carbon-black-e39-m5-leather-restoration-done/

But I felt it only fair I should put a few pictures in the Bespoke section just to show the quality of Johns work, and also the products he recommends,

The finish is superb, and also the effort and care put in by Bespoke deserves credit, I would happily recommend to anyone.

Here is a few pictures taken from my phone, which makes it look a little lighter than the Caramel really is. But hopefully John will add the links to his gallery once uploaded, so you can see the work involved and the finish achieved.

IMG_4122_zpsb74115fe.jpg

IMG_4121_zps765d83ec.jpg

IMG_4117_zps21171f30.jpg

IMG_4116_zpsedb9e066.jpg

IMG_4120_zps6fd04a39.jpg

Very happy! :razz:  :razz:

great job - I LOVE this interior even more than my champagne individuals. Its the doorcards and lower dash that do it for me.

Thank you pal, it's a real transformation from when I first got it!