cad42

Thoughts on this 550?

Hey,

A friend needs a new car after his was rear ended and written off. He likes my e39 540 but wants something more modern. So I found this just a few miles away:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401171107614/sort/pricedesc/make/BMW/model/5%20SERIES/postcode/br33ej/radius/1500/engine-size-cars/4l_to_4-9l/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-to/13000/body-type/saloon/fuel-type/petrol/advert-type/featured-listing/dealer/780/usedcars?logcode=flp

Do you think an se will be much harder to shift on than a sport?

Potential problems I guess will be similar to my car ie coolant system, gearbox, suspension wear and all the electronics. Is there a lot more to go wrong compared to the old e39 540?

Cheers.

Jonathan.

Seems light on spec. No heated seats or xenons. I wouldn't want an SE unless it was fully loaded to the brim and that one isn't. Throw in the large petrol engine, nearly £500 annual road tax and it could be up for a sale for a while.

The description made me laugh! "Achievs over 39mpg" that's got to be a joke? That thing would be lucky to see mid 20's. Seems very over priced as well. Not having heated seats is not really a deal breaker though, the fact it's not a sport is worse in my opinion.

Yeah, apart from the sunroof n pro nav that one is poverty specced, it has nothin else that isn't big standard. People who buy these types of big engine cars usually want all the toys to come with so this one I'd not bother with.

That 550i in SE has a strange appeal. Big power and very subtle. Id prob have an LSD fitted and have a very nice Q car.

Agree though, rather lacking in kit.

The over 39mpg is the dealer looking the official figures of 39.2. Yes we all know they are difficult to achieve..

I can't see why you'd have the top of the range engine with so little spec. All i can imagine the previous owner was all about the engine and nothing else. Should have bought a Caterham

being patient is the key in car buying , just took me 8 weeks to find a car for a pal but in the end it was a cracking deal !!!

and or a lot of luck. i found mine in less than a week, ok a bit over budget but i like to think i got a goodun

Thanks guys. Tend to agree a few more toys would be good on a 550. Looks like the cheapest facelift on autotrader though. Andy did spot today that the bonnet shutline looks a bit off!

Any thoughts on running costs? A lot worse than an e39 540? The mpg claim made us chuckle, too!

The bonnet shut line is more than likely due to a frozen bonnet catch (the culprit on mine - remove, clean, hey presto) or the adjustment being out (wind down the bonnet hoop attached to the bonnet).

Would love that engine in mine, but as said, I'd be expecting quite a bit more spec-wise.

I'd say a good combination of patience and luck. I wasn't even looking for my 535d at the time, I was going to go for either the Merc C-class, Alfa 159, or Audi S3…then saw this and I had to have it! Usual things - thermostats need changing. Dealer has promised to rectify that but dragging his heels!

Thanks guys. Tend to agree a few more toys would be good on a 550. Looks like the cheapest facelift on autotrader though. Andy did spot today that the bonnet shutline looks a bit off!

Any thoughts on running costs? A lot worse than an e39 540? The mpg claim made us chuckle, too!

I noticed that too but it can mean many things.

One of the catches might be adjusted a little too tightly so when you drop the bonnet it needs a bit more of a push.. mine does this, no big deal :) once its clicks into place the shutlines are fine. 

Looks nice enough but

Not a sport

Not highly specced

A lot of money

Keep looking mate

That's the best bit of buying a new car !!

Hi,

What do people think to pre vs. post faclift on a 550? Normally I'd be inclined to hold out for a facelift if you're looking around that age. I know the enginge did not change for the facelift, what about the gearbox? Have read that the earlier v8 boxs can be a bit rough.

snrbrtsn, that's a nice car! Maybe I could be the next next owner once my e39 has serverd it's time, and the price has dropped a little more!

Cheers.

Jon.

P.S. Andy went to see the car I originally linked to and was amazed (predictably) but there's an engine warning on top of everything else people have pointed out so I don't think he'll be having that one. He's in no rush.

Edited by cad42