MANDER

535d Which tyres?

For those with the vredesteins, I take it they are the non-rft versions?

I bought the rfts and would have imagined the compound is the same-ish but they are ridiculous in temps below 7-8 degrees. I know this is winter tyre weather but I've never experienced such bad behaviour from other summer tyres. They just have zero grip.

Under medium/heavy breaking the front can momentarily lock up, and under moderate acceleration the rear light up. With traction control on you get a yoyoing effect as the tc kicks in and out. If you turn tc off you end up bouncing off the Rev limiter.

Much less grip than the continentals that came off and a lot less progressive in their break away.

As for the options, if I were not worried about keeping rfts and wanted maximum performance, I would go with Eagle f1s hands down. The best tyre I have ever driven on. In the wet they grip like a normal average tyre does in the dry.

On second pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2  

Wears good

Dry grip amazing

Wet Grip actually really good

Road noise..   Not alot

My favourite tyres !

Christ, is this your second set since Feb?

Mine have been on since Feb 2014 and done 20k miles are still look mint.  I don't hand about in the car and it's done a track session at Silverstone as well.

Christ, is this your second set since Feb?

Mine have been on since Feb 2014 and done 20k miles are still look mint.  I don't hand about in the car and it's done a track session at Silverstone as well.

Yeah just stuck second set 4 last week,   other set fronts got worn due to bad  alignment and rears got uneven tyre wear rims kept leaking so always put in extra air....   Thats why i got a new set of rims  Gen 19s spider like before

Do not, I repeat, do not but Dunlop sport maxx.

I had them on my E46 330ci fronts for 30k and couldn't wear them enough to justify replacing.

Great you say?

Nope. Rock hard sidewalls makes the ride horrific, an inch bigger would be even worse.

I thought I had problems with the car at first.

Might be exaggerating a bit as I didn't get annoyed enough to change them but still, read reviews

Hi all been a member on here for a while but this is my first post. Looking for some help in making a decision on some tyres for my 530d with 19" Spiders. Before reading this thread I had narrowed myself down to Mich PSS of which I can get a set for £590, Vred Sessantas or Nexen N8000 which have all been reviewed by the e60 owners in the link below. I am now also looking at Vred vortis or the Kuhmo KU39s on the basis of what I have read above. However the 2 latter tyres aren't on shown on the list in the link.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/BMW/530d.htm

All help will be appreciated, as soon as I make a decision I can book the car in to get the alloys refurbed!

I haven't had Vreds for a while, purely because the local dealer doesn't do them. When I did have them, the pattern seemed to pick up stones (a lot around me) and cut them too easily.

Currently got KU39s because they come with a warranty and I get a lot of punctures. But also recently had Conti Sport 5s which are better, but more expensive. I don't hoon around in the e61 so KU39s are fine for me and traction control light doesn't go mad.

Thanks Saint

Just comparing the tread patterns of the Vortis and KU39 and there very similar. Will probably one of these which o go for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that is literally nothing. My budget primewells have a great rim protector but that's about the best thing about them. Wonder what the protector size the Vred Vortis have.

How you finding them? The Sessantas have been around a while and have great reviews, the Vortis are supposedly the replacements but most websites still sell the Sessantas for more £. What the rim protector like on the Sessantas? Sounds silly I know but that's one of the things which is going to sway my decision and the primewell side walls have saved my rears many times.

Just have Vredestein Vorti's fitted to my 530D in 245-35 R19 and 275-30 R19 sizes, (standard sizes on spiders.  Very quiet and have a large rim protector so rim is set well back from the tyre edge, (unlike the Kumho).  We have older Sessanta's on our S-Max and both seem great so far.

Thanks Sarah

I went for the Vred Vorti's in the end. Had my wheels refurbed and tyres fitted at the same time, had them on a week now and they are a brilliant tyre £440 delivered. The difference in grip and feel is different class and as Glos Lar said they have an inch of rim protection which is great! They also look really nice when dressed as the tyre wall design good.

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti - is that a non directional tyre unlike the Sessanta which has a wierd directional pattern ? Big rim protector sounds appealing... will keep Vorti in mind come time to change tyres :D.

Edited by andy-e60

Andy correct it's an asymmetric tread pattern so looks similar to the Mich PSS and Goodyear Asymmetric 2. I bought the front and tears from 2 different suppliers and saved about £50

Just have Vredestein Vorti's fitted to my 530D in 245-35 R19 and 275-30 R19 sizes, (standard sizes on spiders.  Very quiet and have a large rim protector so rim is set well back from the tyre edge, (unlike the Kumho).  We have older Sessanta's on our S-Max and both seem great so far.

any pics of the tyres showing rim protection please ?

i know the standard sizes are  245-35 R19 front  and 275-30 R19 rear

but has any one tried to fit   245-40 R19 and 275-35 R19    on the spiders ?   what are the pros and cons of doing that?  pictures would be great if any one has done that

Edited by Bmw124

Cheers for the pic Stokie ...looks great.

@ bmw124 - I really like my front 245/40/19 and rear 275/35/19 and have used this size over the stock size since ditching the runflats forever couple of tyre changes ago.

I wanted the extra meat on the side walls in preference over the stock sizes. Advantages for me are better ride quality, reduced chance of cracking the alloys, more filled arches as overall tyre diameter is tad bigger. No real negative but theoretically the speedo is meant to read a tad under but when I've checked my speed using gps, the speedo is absolutely spot on.