MANDER

535d Which tyres?

I've had very good results with vredestein ultrac sessanta, good wear and grip and reasonably priced. When my winters come off I'll be looking at having them in 275-35-19 on the rear to give a little more tyre wall to protect the rim and save a little money too.... 

I my rear 275/30/19 replaced 6 months ago with Michelin pilot super sport. Excellent grip, very but VERY quiet compared to the OEM Continentals but....

- rim protection is quite narrow and very soft. There is actually no protection whatsoever, even if you slowly touch the curb of a sidewalk

- side wall is very soft. I noticed that before the tyres were fitted, because inflated tyres can fool you

Very good tyre overall.

Two months before that I had my front replaced with Bridgestones, but they were quite noisy. That was the reason I didn't go with Bridgestones at the rear. Sidewall of the Bridgestone is tougher.

I would NOT recommend Pirellis. Had some very bad experiences in the past.

I know it's personal preference, but I have never got on with Dunlop.

Samuk - funny what you say about the Conti5s. I put some on, before they were destroyed by potholes, and they didn't seem any better than the Kumho KU39s

Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas - excellent tyre - quietest noise rated tyre available.  Swapped from Kumho KU31's on wifey's S-Max to Sessantas - much quieter. Even though the KU31's are pretty quiet!

Saint...

Have run Kumhos previously - KU31's and KU39's - (currently have KU31's on the front of the E60) - for the money excellent tyre!

Glos, I couldn't get on with the KU31s. I have always got on with Vredies, but my local place doesn't do them, so stick to KU39s, which I find perfectly good. 

Saint,

KU31's a little more noisy than KU39's, due to KU31's directions tread vs asymmetric with KU39's.  Theoretically KU39's replace KU31's but plenty still seem available and are still listed on Kumho's website.  Since fitting Sessantas to the S-Max I'm pretty sold on them.  However I'm guessing that in time they will be discontinued for the Vorti.  Looking at the manufacturing data the Vorti is a noisier tyre than the Sessantas. 

What I like about this forum is that people seem to be very open about tyres and don't just poo-poo certain makes because they aren't considered premium. I am of the belief that premium tyres, while better than some ditch finders, aren't noticeably better in normal/most driving conditions than the non-premium ones. I don't want to use the word budget, as that to me is the base level which I wouldn't use myself. Anyway, I digress....the problem I had with the KU31 was one of grip - maybe it was just that they couldn't handle the torque from the 535d. I was a little reticent to put on KU39s, but the number of punctures I got made me think about how much I was spending and whether the premium tyres really were worth the premium price. I looked at the KU39s wet braking rating, and thought that their A rating was good enough for me. 

As a total aside, I have some Falken Wild Peak A/T tyres on my Navara and am very impressed with them. Significantly better than the ditch finders that were in it when I bought the truck - Dunlop Grandtrek AT20. When it comes to change the KU39s, might investigate Falken and what they have to offer. 

I've just fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (275/30/19) to my 530d.  Got them from Camskills and are very good, especially in the wet.  I've used these tyres before on other cars so knew what to expect.  My first choice would have been the Michelin Pilot Sport which I currently use on my Evo but these was over £100 more expensive then the F1's!

I did managed to find these cheaper after I had placed my order with Camskills from tyreleader.co.uk - who are getting very good reviews on other forums.

Sorry for the minor hi-jack, but i noticed recently the E61 has less room than the E60 when it comes to tyre/wheel width. What is the general limit for width on an E61 rear

Sorry for the minor hi-jack, but i noticed recently the E61 has less room than the E60 when it comes to tyre/wheel width. What is the general limit for width on an E61 rear

What ever the front is IIRC? E61's have the front size all round on 19's from BM due to the width of the load bay, 8.5 wide I think?

Ended up buying the goodyears and they seem like really good tyres and still not even bed in.

James ma man, tricks are goood mate   what about yourself?

On second pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2  

Wears good

Dry grip amazing

Wet Grip actually really good

Road noise..   Not alot

My favourite tyres !

Got me some near new super sports 285/30/20 with rim protection...not fitted yet..

My brother had some unioyals on the rear of his 535...wet grip is awesome, even from standstill

I've just fitted a set of ku39s and can't fault them, had a brand new set on last car also on 19s and good grip, good in wet and decent pricex

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Yes I agree.. The boyfriend did this within a week of me buying my brand new wheels and tyres ...

e0725f3971051ba1cb97ebc33381043a.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Edited by SarahS23