jamesf

3T alarm won't stop, *sorted I think*

Hi folks, I need some urgent assistance. My tourer has a 3T sigma alarm, it keeps going off and I can't switch the damn thing off. If I disconnect the battery it stops obviously but reattach it and it carries on and the fob or locks won't shut it up. Please help as it is booked in for MOT tomorrow morning!

Edited by jamesf

Just checked battery voltage which is 12.5v. Reconnected after leaving five mins and it hasn't gone off yet! Still want to be sure it's not going to happen in the garage and upset the mechanic. My neighbours can't be to amused either!

Edited by jamesf

Morning update:

The alarm didn't go off overnight. Started car this morning and the alarm very very quietly chirps/ticks constantly. When I switch the car off the alarm goes off and the only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery.

After 5 minutes I reconnected battery and started the car again and the feint chirping starts again, this time I disconnected the battery with engine running thinking when the car is turned off all power will be cut and the alarm won't go off. When I disconnected with the engine running the chirping stopped. I reconnected and all seems normal, no chirping! Turned car off, alarm didn't go off! Started car, no chirping. Repeated a couple of times and all seems ok.

Anyone understand what is going on here?

Edited by jamesf

why do I think leaving the engine running with battery disconnected is a risky venture, am I wrong thinking the question is where is the alternator output actually going, say 14 volts and a load of amps etc -  perhaps I misread the post.

No you read right, when the car is running it will just draw what it needs. Disconnecting the battery just creates a dead end the same as when you turn something off.

Afternoon update:

So the alarm went nuts on the garage forecourt and my previous technique didn't work this time. In an act of desperation I dug the alarm control box from behind the rear fusebox and with the engine running and the alarm blaring I chose a plug to disconnect, it was like when you see someone in the movies defusing a bomb timer. I chose the red wire because it looked the easiest and most simple, I unplugged it and then there was silence apart from the engine ticking over! Lucky guess and I wasn't going to turn car off for fear that I had mucked up the immobiliser.

Got the car home and switched off the ignition, then back on and much to my surprise the car started no probs! Couple more tries and I am starting to feel quite chuffed, even more so when I try the fob and find I still have remote locking, result!

Now,  I've read somewhere that someone had removed this system and a week later the immobiliser started cutting in so I'm holding my breath now in the hope that its all ok.

For anyone interested here is the plug I disconnected

926C3B79-14B7-4C0F-87BE-0CE3369723A7_zps

Edited by jamesf

Good luck with the pulled wire  - if it ok you got the jackpot - hope you doing our lottery as well as your ticket may provide the £MMs.

That's the only luck I've had today, car emptied it's coolant last night because I hadn't done up a hose tight enough and the garage sent me home thinking I had the wrong exhaust to fit so no MOT today. They were wrong I have found out so car wont be getting MOT'd until next week now.

Regarding disconnecting the battery with the car running, yes it probably is dodgy but I wasn't caring by that point, you know what its like when you are panicking because your alarm wont switch off at 7 in the am!!

Yes Geoff, only the negative, in theory it shouldn't have done anything as the alternator was powering the car at this point but it stopped the alarm somehow. The idea was when I turned off the car all power to the alarm so I didn't wake the neighbours.

Hi man, really helpful stuff.

I have a 1995 520i and it has been doing the exact same thing. Can you show me exactly how to access this alarm module box and the location of the plug?

Holy thread revival Batman!!! 

It's mounted under the rear seat, passenger side, more or less behind your right foot if you sat in. The module pictured above is probably inside another metal box similar size.

Keliuss