RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

Ive found a storage net on fleabay for the passenger footwell but its listed as e36 and z3, anybody know if this will fit an e34? cant ask the seller which isn't helpful.

Yes it will-I have one fitted in my iX. I have a spare NOS net for £9 inc post if you want it, but you'd need to get the clips from BMW (They're pennies.)

Still awaiting the return of the Tea Bg Lady ...  I hear ...  China's not happy   :razz:

Carl come on know rules by now... pictures..! Have you been to see progress or getting updates..?

Hi Simon, I was called back to the welding firm on the Friday, The week TBL had been taken in ... The drivers footwell had been cut out also the jacking point and part of the inner sill ... The welder wanted to order four new inner jacking points. I know these only come with the BMW full side repair panel. So the welder will make the inner points himself.

The welder did say, he would keep a look out for anymore  rust/rot I might have missed ... Gulp Gulp  :razz:

I might make time to pop over tomorrow and take some pictures,and see the state of play.   

Ordered some trim and sun blind parts from BMW Classic website and bulked at the brake disc and pad costs

Front pads 97euro delivered, I paid £35 for Jurid JAS (un badged OE part) a couple of years ago from Motormec.

C3BMW have Jurid pads listed on their website for £24 but I think they are the lesser d type - have emailed to check

C3bmw have updated their website now so they list the OEM spec JAS front pads. They are also updating the website to include an iX (longer) front pad wear sensor

http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/Page.asp?CategoryID=355

Caught out again today.

Started fine this morning as usual,took it into work to sort an oil leak,usual sump and timing case bolts loose again (need a nip up every few years)

Encountered a no start situation for the first time since forever. Turns out the fuel pump cried enough,just like that. Not a whisper of an warning.

FP relay lives in the e box so with a quick bridge between terminal 30 & 87 and no response with fuel at the rail and with plenty of spark at the plugs,confirmed it. Luckily i had one at home so with that retrieved and fitted,normal service was resumed. Seems a little perkier also.

post-32500-0-66954200-1426369137_thumb.j

Strangely,of the two spare pumps i had,the one that came off the car was slightly smaller in overall size and the plumbing and wiring arrangement simpler. It appears there are two different pump unit set ups for e34.

I usually travel with a spare pump ECU and various other small bits, if i'm journeying in europe or far from home,but it may have been a problem anyway due to the differences,in any case.

Had a good look at the sills too, a job that is now imminent. I've decided to do this repair at work as i'm not quite able to do it at home at the moment due to various reasons. I'd be able to really take my time with it at home but doing it over a couple weekends at graft will get it done faster. The o/s/r is really irking me now.

post-32500-0-03773100-1426369234_thumb.j

Were already almost at the end of the first quarter of the year and it'll be over and Xmas before you blink. Time to get on it.

Tried to start one of the "lurkers" but all of the various batteries I had were too lame, and jump-start off a tractor didn't have enough poke either :sad:

The clutch had seized too, so I cleaned off the cobwebs, evicted the field vole than was living in a plastic tub in the boot, and put on a proper car cover in place of the tarpaulin, and did something else! (e34 535i by the way).

What I should have done is found the parts and put my passenger window back on its rails in the e34 525i Touring, but where's the fun in doing the essential jobs!

(editied to sort out my hasty...bad...typing...)

Edited by bulletproofbomb

Today at last a update to the project of the old girl.  Wiring is nearly all done for the dash to be refitted to the car 

want pictures go here http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/83534-updated-project-rumrunner-e34-525i-updated-febuary-2015/page-9

Thinking why the rear bumper trim will not fit the bumper :/

9bf4b61147944af8784ba4ae30b031e7.jpg

759d5867beeb0f7101386416388c4453.jpg

b0b62132a733360ea903ce8fb9a37222.jpg

Anyone with any ideas :( I don't want to cut it.

S,butler

97b5292e7c7238fd84e5271b0647ac82.jpg

46398d7c051f30a5fe4b8de7ba3d6b43.jpg

5e1b54c37d9c4a380e3a08a795a84793.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ustbutler

^^^^ Push the side trims further around and then there should be space.

I filled my E34 with spanking new 20" x 245/40 and 275/35 Michelin tyres to take to the wheel refurbishers - try doing that in a saloon and still having three seats free......

Stefan, you haven't pushed the side trims fully forward into the bumper, there's two tabs each side that need to engage fully.

Am sending off my 530i DME to Enda at End Tuning for an upgrade, should give the car more ge ge's.

Today I fit new scuttle panels to my e34 as the originals were snapped and rattling at (cough!) 70mph new clips too and looking good if its not too sad getting excited about scuttle panels :D

Stephm loving the wheels btw ...looks great

Ustbutler.. I had the same problem with my trim when I sprayed it up... Grease the side trims(prongs) and they will slide straight up to the end no probs then the middle will fit no probs.

Today I fit new scuttle panels to my e34 as the originals were snapped and rattling at (cough!) 70mph new clips too and looking good if its not too sad getting excited about scuttle panels :D

Stephm loving the wheels btw ...looks great

Ustbutler.. I had the same problem with my trim when I sprayed it up... Grease the side trims(prongs) and they will slide straight up to the end no probs then the middle will fit no probs.

Jimmy, glad to hear you adhere to the speed limits.  Clean, black scuttle panels look great, light grey, cloudy ones look horrible so good move as far as I am concerned.

Two steps forward, one step back... Drove the '89 520i 800 miles from London to south of France in a day on Wednesday and it didn't miss a beat. Turbine smooth M20 engine, very comfortable but very slow going up steep hills.Then the left hand indicators refused to work this morning. Not a blown bulb or fuse; mystified. Maybe a stalk connection problem? Turned to 525iX touring and changed LKM module; yay no more false bulb blown alerts when lights on and braking... Until ping, licence plate light alert came up. On investigation the bulb had indeed blown. Result! Now I just have to go through the tortuous process of registering them in France...

Two steps forward, one step back... Drove the '89 520i 800 miles from London to south of France in a day on Wednesday and it didn't miss a beat. Turbine smooth M20 engine, very comfortable but very slow going up steep hills.Then the left hand indicators refused to work this morning. Not a blown bulb or fuse; mystified. Maybe a stalk connection problem? Turned to 525iX touring and changed LKM module; yay no more false bulb blown alerts when lights on and braking... Until ping, licence plate light alert came up. On investigation the bulb had indeed blown. Result! Now I just have to go through the tortuous process of registering them in France...

Lol, I've literally just got back from S. France myself as it goes! Whats the chances eh? Unfortunately not in a E34 though :(

And yes a 2.0 is a bit gutless for the terrain over there, been there lol ;)

I would get insurance quotes before you even consider getting the car registered over there...... It's a LOT more expensive to insure cars over there, personally I would just roll with the UK plates myself......