RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

1 hour ago, marshall1302 said:

That car has really got presence 

so cool - what colour is it ? 

If your referring to my photo she’s cosmos black with factory 540i bumper  :D

Yes, it looks great, thanks for sharing :D

Mine looked like this last time I took a photo, now its in the body shop being minted before hibernation 

E160019B-2077-43DC-A34F-229C1FE5861E.jpeg

43 minutes ago, marshall1302 said:

Yes, it looks great, thanks for sharing :D

Mine looked like this last time I took a photo, now its in the body shop being minted before hibernation 

E160019B-2077-43DC-A34F-229C1FE5861E.jpeg

Love seeing these old boxes saved 

I've been thinking of getting one of those myself.  I did offer 250 for a genuine one on eBay but when my offer was rejected I spotted the copies for around £70 and figured it might be worth a punt. I definitely wouldn't pay the 350 being asked of the genuine one.

I had put the E34 away in the garage but had a change of heart and figured I'd use it for work all week instead.  It's surprising how many positive remarks it seems to attract.

On 20/12/2021 at 07:40, Mark-535i-sport said:

I've been thinking of getting one of those myself.  I did offer 250 for a genuine one on eBay but when my offer was rejected I spotted the copies for around £70 and figured it might be worth a punt. I definitely wouldn't pay the 350 being asked of the genuine one.

I had put the E34 away in the garage but had a change of heart and figured I'd use it for work all week instead.  It's surprising how many positive remarks it seems to attract.

I was chatting to a guy before, about a year ago, who worked for BMW and he got one recently for his car through BMW, it was still available and I dont think it was that expensive either.....

As I've finally sorted my problem of uploading pictures to the forum today I thought I would share some pictures of a quick detail I had before a recent trip to Scotland.

Pleasingly fresh...

IMG_4421.jpeg.456a8d30a412b161ac7926cc83702da8.jpegIMG_4431.jpeg.856d54722ae8844b0ad059be79313184.jpegIMG_4426.jpeg.ee10fe10f5121aa9b0c9abcb5317ff45.jpegC50C4108-0437-44BF-932C-6D0412677B60_1_105_c.jpeg.c0cf5730479aff8800f5c13eb07a331e.jpeg6A3D1FE2-EFB1-4C5F-865E-2B81E06C962C_1_105_c.jpeg.8f7300083646a840dbe5fd676587ed05.jpegIMG_4419.jpeg.ca2c1da65ec22b476e3b3aeb9804497d.jpegIMG_4449.jpeg.0bea4f25de4be570360e135a30d32359.jpeg

Today I also updated my project thread Incase it’s of any interest to you -

Edited by Kit

Not quite today but plenty of time spent on it directly & indirectly over the last 12mths give or take and rather a lot over the last eight wks..

So.. where am I now with this car? After an eventful year, I’m pleased to say much much closer to the finish line. Various issues both unavoidable and of my own doing slowed down progress and the pandemic absolutely hasn’t helped at all.  In short we’ve had an complete engine change that turned out to only be partially successful (kinda my fault), ultimately neccessitating a fully overhauled and refreshed cylinder head assembly having to be fitted. I also took the opportunity to try another g/box I had, that I had acquired untested some time ago and also a replacement steering box, which upon other discoveries may possibly not have been needed..

The complete front suspension was on its last, so I bit the bullet and replaced virtually the lot. All control arms replaced, struts refurbished, new wheel bearings, top mounts, shims, ARB drop links, backplates, the lot, with upgraded components where necessary. Bilstein B8 were the dampers of choice this time, though I did retain the current road springs, though also fully refurbished. A 25mm front ARB was also fitted with new bushes and brackets. Two new track rods were installed also.

The front brake calipers were completely refinished and rebuilt inc new pistons & seals, to go with new brake discs and pads as a matter of course. 

Plenty to keep me busy… As usual, even during these strange times, I just find it difficult to find the time and admittedly sometimes the motivation to get on with things and additionally, when the (growing) family fleet also needs attention from time to time its easy to procrastinate.

Anyways, enough of moaning…Here’s a few shots..

The cylinder head……Almost fully built up here, just waiting for new exhaust studs. Major works included valve guides on the EX side, all valves & seats cut, ports fully decarbonised and the casting itself pressure tested and lightly skimmed.

20211115_211750.jpg

Front & rear suspension, built up ready to go on the car. I decided not to go for full rose joint or poly uppers, it is after all primarily a street car. I settled on e34 M5 control bushes as against the previous 750 bushes I had previously fitted. The M5 bushes being much more substantial than the 750’s. The original engine is hiding in disgrace under the sheets…. It will live to fight another day…..

20210607-194046.jpg

Front calipers with new pistons. 540 spec in this case.. proper epoxy finish not powder.

20210819-232316.jpg

Rear struts fitted..

20210609-174953.jpg

Front strut assembly in place. E31 lower arms fitted, removing more rubber from the front end. I have heard the lower arms are NLA aftermarket, only BMW.

20211103-175708.jpg

After the suspension was all fitted i decided to set up some basic alignment angles. Unfortunately the relatively basic (but accurate) equipment I had available was not compatible with the e34 rear arch shape quirk, requiring that the car be slightly supported to be able to get the equipment to fit in place on the tyre and not foul the arch..…

20211214_195506.jpg

As on any car with adjustable rear suspension, this must be set to centreline spec before the front is adjusted. So basically in this case everything is set to parallel, just until I can take it for a full four wheel alignment where the measuring heads are attached directly to the outer face of the wheel.

20211214_205855.jpg

….and finally the front 

20211214_212727.jpg

So not far to go now. At this very moment all the headlights and grills are off the car for cleaning, treating and new hardware including all new adjusters. Then some minor repairs to the rear silencer, refit some external trim and the rear seat squab.

I’ll have to paint it at some point to have it really nice though. All this time knocking about has taken its toll with various dings, marks, damaged lacquer and other issues. Frustrating but…

20191116-090541.jpg

And finally, when everything else is done, fit the fully refurbed wheels & tyres, then an MOT (pretty much a formality I’d imagine) then it’s ready for a shake down. It’s begging for some mileage. Been way too long now.

Drove my E34 up to the Bicester Scramble then back again - it was spotless when I left, pretty grubby when I got there and filthy by the time I got home so it had a wash before I put it back in the garage - next outing for it is Tuesday for the MoT.

6380978_TwoAlpinas6.thumb.JPG.9fd020e70d449fcc473eaa398e89f1b8.JPG

MoT passed again with no advisories - happy days.

It's 27 years old this year and drives very well indeed for its 167k miles. I've had it since late in 2011 and I'm the second owner of this fabulous and rare car. It pulls just as well as it's younger E39 B10 V8 brethren and everything electric and electronic still works like clocks, windows, seats, PDC, ACC. 340bhp and so much available torque makes it an easy daily driver when its needed and the Switch-Tronic gearbox, whilst a bit slower to respond than the E39's, still works really well and is trouble free.

If I was picky about anything its the boring wood trim; it was scratched and dull when I got it so I've repaired and polished it up but it's still something and nothing compared to the dark wood trims of the Sports models or the brighter stand out woods found in some of the Individual M5's or B10 BiTurbos. I bought a set of trims a few years ago for buttons and only recently unwrapped them - I'm caught between a high gloss black wrap, an alcantara wrap or getting my local spray shop to sort them out with a black or blue metallic sparkle trim.

Current thinking is black alcantara? Any opinions?

Edit: Or black ash wood wrap like similar to the OEM black wood trim I have in my E39?

Edited by sharkfan

If you have a full spare set of wood trims, why not strip them back, stain them to something similar the the E39 and lacquer them.  

Not a fan of wrapped trims, they usually look a bit naf.

The trims aren't in good enough condition Richard, a few edges with small chips and a crack across one - I didn't care when I bought them as I only paid about £20 delivered IIRC.

I'll be keeping the original trims safe but I just fancy a change for a while.