RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

On 25/02/2021 at 15:22, Benji__ said:

Installed H&R front springs with F30 brembo front calipers. The ride is still good and the brakes are now excellent

IMG_20210123_133720.jpg

IMG_20210124_112130.jpg

IMG_20210124_114808.jpg

Love this. We’re the callipers a straight fit, no Master Cylinder upgrade required?

7 hours ago, Benji__ said:

Calipers and disks were a straight fit with the angryass spacer kit (literally just 2 aluminium spacers and longer bolts)

Link to buying the kit please?

https://www.angryasssolutions.com/parts/stage-1-bbk

Not affiliated or anything. Its a bit pricey for what you get and you could easily get a machine shop to make you a set, but they offer awesome service and make great parts for our aging cars, so I figured Id supported them. Basically 4 x caliper bolts and 4 x spacers (about 35mm diameter x 10mm thick I'd estimate)

Got my car back again after a steering/control/anti-roll bar bits all-kinds-of-links refresh as well as a diff oil change and rear axle bush replacement. It feels altogether tighter and more focussed and is once again lovely to drive.

13 hours ago, sharkfan said:

Got my car back again after a steering/control/anti-roll bar bits all-kinds-of-links refresh as well as a diff oil change and rear axle bush replacement. It feels altogether tighter and more focussed and is once again lovely to drive.

When I got my ARB bushes changed for Powerflex ones recently it was like driving a new car again. I probably should look at doing the other brushes too for it at some point.

I have had quite a pile of car trouble recently - November through January saw every car I own break in some way and it's cost a small fortune to put them right but I've taken the view that the work I've had done will see them through the next ten years at least and I have reasons to get out there and drive them all a bit more from now on.

The E34 has cost a bit over the last two years - one complication is that the engine parts are now unobtainable and it was fitted with the so-called 'organic' headgaskets - in reality this is metall rings around the combustion chambers and pretty much cardboard everywhere else. So I took the decision to do what a loot of M60B46 owners have done and replaced the gaskets with E39 M5 headgaskets - much more substantial and a lot better made around the combustion chamber, water and oil channels. It seemed a lot to spend on a car that was running perfectly but the engine may well have been written off if something had happened with the older frail gaskets.

Soon after that the water pump failed - and could I shift the bolts - nope, so back it went to 'The Man' - he managed it without damaging or breaking anything and thinks it was the original pump.

Then I had a silly little gearbox oil leak - only from the selector shaft and electronic connector but again - the gearbox is unobtainium from Alpina so I took the decision to have a full service, clean and flush while it was being fixed.

While that was being dome the rear axle carrier bushes were found to be shot so I've just had them done, the rear track control arms, front control and brake reaction arms,anti-roll bars links all round, steering centre link, idler bush and track rods and for a partridge in a pear tree changed the diff oil.

It does drive beautifully now - probably the nicest it has done since I bought it.

If I'm not working I will be taking one of the nice cars and leaving the E39 work 'van' just for work.

There are so few E34's and E32's on the road now - I know of one school mum who uses a somewhat battered 520i but I can't remember seeing another for years. I am curious though about a collector in the next village - he has a brand new Audi on the drive but also two E34's and a E32 730i lurking behind hedges on his drive. As lock down eases I might introduce myself.

Edited by sharkfan

@sharkfan - in case of need, can you confirm who your ‘the man’ is please?  

I’m in Horsell, Woking, and just use a local generalist garage - they have actually been very good to date, but an alternative would be useful for more complex jobs.

Agree you don’t see many e34s on the road anymore - I’ve not seen any since purchase last summer (maybe for obvious reasons!); they do get some appreciative looks from onlookers.

I use Lee Shannon - he's out at Bentley just beyond Farnham. It may seem like a bit of a hike but his work is simply outstanding. For me he is also pretty good at understanding older cars as he was at BMW until about 2003/4-ish before setting up on his own. His reputation is pretty far reaching as he has customers bring him cars from Central London through down to Portsmouth. I would stay with your local guys if you're happy with them but like you say, for complex work he might be worth a call. He has re-fettled several E39 B10 V8 engines with regard to vanos and timing chains and changed the headgaskets on my E34 as well as replacing all the brake, fuel and hydraulic lines on my E38.

I'm just south of you at Ripley.

Done nowt my self but the suspension on the old  530i has been renewed. New springs, dampers, control arms, top mounts.... it should handle like it it in 1988. I get it back tomorrow. Also wiring under the back  seat has been renewed which resolved a battery drain issue. 

Next up a new exhuast (probably fritz system and manifold) new headlining and a re spray. By the end of the year it should look and drive like a new car. 

All work done my local garage. He brings his bike to me to have fixed, i give him my car to fix. Small difference in the respective bills though  

After owning multiple E34’s in my life and after selling my last 525i Sport two years ago I couldn’t self hurting myself and bought another one! Glacier blue 525i, manual from 1992. Will start a new thread about it. Needs  sills all jacking points, drivers side floor and rear wheel arches doing. Most likely full respray as well.

04-F26-B4-C-D21-D-4-AEA-885-C-CC4-BEE849
EEFB1339-02-CF-4-CAA-BC44-E21-E8-E6-D517

872-DC816-7299-48-C8-AF3-A-079263682265.

Edited by Zackpl

13 hours ago, Zackpl said:

After owning multiple E34’s in my life and after selling my last 525i Sport two years ago I couldn’t self hurting myself and bought another one! Glacier blue 525i, manual from 1992. Will start a new thread about it. Needs  sills all jacking points, drivers side floor and rear wheel arches doing. Most likely full respray as well.

Very nice! Exactly the same interior as mine. Been searching for replacement rear door cards (that aren’t knackered) for 4 years, hens teeth. Grown to love the blue, nice to have a wee change from black.

I like a blue interior - I first fell for an M5 Touring silver and ultramarine Elekta combination...

dsc00380-jpg.24532

...then I was fortunate enough to buy an Alpina with almost the same interior...

30351_alpina_b10_129_small_1.jpg

Nice purchase Zackpl - it looks very tidy indeed.

cut out a big chunk of the rear of the drivers side sill, far from the worst I have seen posted here, but still a fair old chunk!

I do have a sill panel to chop a piece out of however the middle of the jacking point support needs repair also, as well as the inner sill and the closing panel in the wheelarch onto the end of the sill.

Edited by welshpug

On 20/03/2021 at 21:46, Zackpl said:

Very nice - I love Glacier blue. 

3 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

A pity there are so few E34's left now. 

Haven’t seen an e34 / e32 around Aberdeen for a long time, only maybe 2 or 3 e36’s in the last year.

So here’s my freshly washed 520.... never know, might even get my e36 back on the road in the next year.....

35919369-BBBD-4294-8776-174BDB17939C.jpeg

Bit the bullet and removed the m tech sill covers. Held breath as the final clips released and.......... pretty good actually!:D

Some surface rust on the jacking points to sort out but overall excellent for a 26 year old car, original paint has held up well and after a clean and polish the sills look good. Will clean up the jacking points and paint the bottom section with Kruust and stone chip paint before refitting the covers 

4C106388-4692-42DA-9C4F-5759565C5C99.jpeg

D0FB3CA5-6907-4CFC-98C4-ECADED04F98F.jpeg

7B642036-9605-4B81-87FC-BED19900E5C0.jpeg

D4EE6F93-A60F-4311-B95E-62EF4F830D33.jpeg

697DB8C1-BF7B-496C-9FEA-3930FF0A4FE3.jpeg

7FD8C2E9-5A89-4A02-910B-CE0D83899918.jpeg

794D60B6-BDC0-4446-B97E-0FF5853E1183.jpeg

1 hour ago, marshall1302 said:

Bit the bullet and removed the m tech sill covers. Held breath as the final clips released and.......... pretty good actually!:D

Some surface rust on the jacking points to sort out but overall excellent for a 26 year old car, original paint has held up well and after a clean and polish the sills look good. Will clean up the jacking points and paint the bottom section with Kruust and stone chip paint before refitting the covers 

That's a very nice reveal. Wish mine had turned out like that. Next question is do you have a sunroof? If no, then great, carry on. If yes, then inside the sills won't be pretty but there are some mods you can do to preserve them.

Keliuss

14 minutes ago, Keliuss said:

That's a very nice reveal. Wish mine had turned out like that. Next question is do you have a sunroof? If no, then great, carry on. If yes, then inside the sills won't be pretty but there are some mods you can do to preserve them.

Keliuss

No sunroof, thankfully so hopefully OK. I did wonder about the inside of the sills, was thinking of removing the kick plates and spraying wax oil in there 

40 minutes ago, marshall1302 said:

No sunroof, thankfully so hopefully OK. I did wonder about the inside of the sills, was thinking of removing the kick plates and spraying wax oil in there 

I reckon it would be a little time and money well spent. There are stories on here of non-sunroof models with really bad sills, so it'd pay to keep yours decent.

Keliuss

Took my E34 out for a run yesterday - simply glorious noise from the V8 but also the E34 driving experience seems so much more raw and connected than the E39 daily driver.

I was out for about an hour around Surrey and used the Switch-Tronic the whole time except the last five minutes in a train of cars getting home. I can well remember the entertainment factor of the manual boxes in the 540i and M5 E34's but the engines were chalk and cheese - massive low range shove in the V8 but trailing off over 5k compared to the where-is-the-power nothingness of the S38 until you get to 3.5k and then pure screaming banshee to 6.5k. The 4.6 Alpina lump has the best of both worlds - even more torque than the 4.0 and just as much high revs power as the straight six. 

I understand why the PO kept the car so long now - it's 26 years old and has only had two owners and is only ever likely to.

Fixed the blowing exhaust.

Basically the exhaust I had made up is sleeved onto the header down tubes and there was some gases coming out one of the joins. So I got a thin sheet of metal, wrapped it around the sleeved joint on each tube with some exhaust paste and then clamped it above and below the join. Perfect! So it is basically a sleeve for the sleeve.

Was a right pain trying to do it led under it, kept getting stuck when trying to crawl back out lol.