RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

1 hour ago, Flandy said:

Having seen plenty of Russian dash cam videos, I'd be having mixed feelings about sending such a gorgeous car there! :lol:

Its going into storage as part of a private collection

41 minutes ago, Bumbaclut said:

= (     How did the Russian Mafia find it?!

They work in mysterious ways ! An enthusiast with a car collection bought it.

Edited by greenelekta

Got my E34 back and fixed again by the brilliant Lee Shannon out at Farnham - a small splash of red oil in the drip tray in the garage was traced  to two small leaks at the gearbox selector shaft seal and the wiring harness plug - as it requires the gearbox sump off to get at them the gearbox has had a full clean, new filter and oil and the leaks fixed. He also traced a brake pad lining warning to a damaged part of the loom and we've managed (between us) to re-synchronise the keys to the remote central locking.

It's going back into him next year for some other remedial/precautionary work but it's lovely to have it back without leaks and driving beautifully again, the engine noise is addictive - I need to drive it more this next year!

He's also had my B12 for a hefty amount of work and some other Alpina's  in there too.

E34 washed and tucked away in the garage again.

E34 passed it's MoT today with a a couple of advisories on front bushes - I already knew about them and will be getting the entire front end of steering links and suspension arms replaced and set up fairly soon. It's still driving beautifully and the exhaust note is delicious but I must use it more, just a shamefully low 850 miles this past eighteen months.

During the year I have replaced the links and connectors on the headlights after a few ball joints became loose and a couple of the adjusters were embrittled through time and heat and broke,  a persistent brake-pad warning alarm  was traced to a break in the loom and fixed, and there was a recent gearbox weep which necessitated a full gearbox service, and I have played around with a few interior bits and pieces to get it nice. Two new michelins recently replaced the well worn and slightly leaking previous michelins (one was found to have a well worn down screw wearing it's way through) - I have stayed with the 18 inch wheels and use the same tyre pressures as the M5 Touring used on the 18 inch M-Para's. 

When I got the car the previous (first) owner had just been dismayed at the cost of replacing the SLS shocks so had got them cheaply replaced with non-SLS shocks and springs which left it sitting too low on the year; I managed to get the shocks and springs changed to get a decent ride height but have never felt fully satisfied that it was 'right'. I've narrowed my options down to a few costly methods;

1. See if Alpina still have the SLS springs and shocks available and re-instate the SLS system. If the Alpina stuff is NLA then,

2. Fit 540i SLS springs and shocks and re-instate the SLS system. If the SLS system can't be re-instated then,

3. See if Alpina still have the B10 3.5 non-SLS springs and shocks available, but if this is NLA then,

4. See if there is some kind of height adjustable after-market option to fit on the rear; I know Bilstein do not make a B14 kit for the E34 so maybe something like KW Varient coil-overs etc.

Nothing will be cheap but I think it is one of the few areas I didn't get quite right when I did the initial quite costly restoration of the car immediately after buying it.

The rest of the car is in good nick - I have ordered both bonnet and rear glass tailgate shocks as they are starting to soften and aside from a sticky-when-cold nearside front door lock actuator  everything else works especially the essential AC and electric windows/mirrors/seats etc.

Otherwise it's just wash it and use it more - a good E34 is still a very involving drivers car and increasingly rare on the road these days as they get added to collections and never driven again.

18 hours ago, sharkfan said:

4. See if there is some kind of height adjustable after-market option to fit on the rear; I know Bilstein do not make a B14 kit for the E34 so maybe something like KW Varient coil-overs etc

Sure I saw a SLS option when I was buying my Bilsteins, took me ages to figure out why there was a price difference between what looked like two identical products. Or was it the B14's you were specifically after? I think it was the B12 kit is what I was looking at/have on mine.

I can't even find the website I bought mine from to check, mainly to see if I was going mad! Europerformance or something if I remember correct. I first saw SLS and was like no, I don't want them for a Mercedes SLS I have a BMW.

It is shocking when people don't do proper repairs on things because of cost. I know some people over look that fact, but it is really no excuse at times. Same when putting budget tyres on performance cars.

If you can get some used shocks Nagengast can rebuild them. Suppose it depends how much of the SLS system is missing.  

https://nagengast.pl/en/kategoria-produktu/bmw-en/bmw-5-en/bmw-5-e34-en/?wmc-currency=EUR

22 hours ago, greenelekta said:

If you can get some used shocks Nagengast can rebuild them. Suppose it depends how much of the SLS system is missing.  

https://nagengast.pl/en/kategoria-produktu/bmw-en/bmw-5-en/bmw-5-e34-en/?wmc-currency=EUR

Yes and some of it is NLA like the levelling valve on the back that you adjust the rear ride height with is, pipework is.  I've deleted mine as a load of it was missing.  This is fairly tricky as you need non SLS PAS pump ideally 

theres only one type of SLS shock listed now brand new its the same for 525i touring to a Bi turbo saloon and everything imbertween  535s M5s 540s etc its all the same part number     

I don't know why i'm bothering after your toys out the pram moment the other week Kevin.   All the bilstein stuff is non adjust.  KV only make variant 1s now for e34s which is ride height adjustment only and you need to send 2 front struts off for them to build you a set. The rest of the coilover market is cheaper budget stuff.  H&R make spring kits for the M5 that is for SLS cars. 540i also. Pretty sure Eibach still do aswell.  

Good E34 suspension stuff is limited now compared to a few years ago as i guess the market is tiny as the cars have died off

According to the US BMW forum, the E38 SLS valve is interchangeable if you carry over one bracket from old to new.

I bought some refurbed SLS struts from Nagengast - i needed new spheres and adjoining hoses.  

Fitted with -10mm HR M5 springs, matched with eibach -25mm springs and SACHS up front .

After some episodes of fluid overflow from the CHFS reservoir, its now settled and seems to be working just fine.  

23 hours ago, cornershop said:

After some episodes of fluid overflow from the CHFS reservoir, its now settled and seems to be working just fine.  

Did you leave it be and settle or take it to David at CMD in the end? 

40 minutes ago, stevenc3828 said:

Did you leave it be and settle or take it to David at CMD in the end? 

Just let it settle - most internet reading suggested it should be 10mm or so above the gauze.  Speaking to David Olias from ClassicMD and with his E34 M5 SLS knowledge, he confirmed it should be just below the gauze.  Which is precisely where mine is.  

That looks great. Really want some touring specific roof bars like those for mine but they're like hens teeth. I've got a pair of BMW rain gutter mounted ones at the moment that work fine but would much rather the set that integrate into the roof rails.