Jump to content
RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

Recommended Posts

On 9/26/2020 at 7:07 PM, coupe king said:

Another one of those very simple but very satisfying jobs done ☺️

ECD0DB78-CC91-4396-BC1D-CEC2D4E72792.png285430EB-EB40-4A27-A212-0FE73AF5A9C2.png4DC77F53-DFC6-47BE-8552-A84D262F1E01.pngDA1B52D2-DFE6-4835-BDAA-C86C1F8D4102.png

 

This looks great. 

 

I went the route of trying to salvage my existing ones (my seals look to have faired a bit better than yours) with some Gtechiq c4 trim restorer and was pleased with the results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lozmccall1 said:

 

This looks great. 

 

I went the route of trying to salvage my existing ones (my seals look to have faired a bit better than yours) with some Gtechiq c4 trim restorer and was pleased with the results. 


Yeah I absolutely love Gtechnic C4, best product I’ve ever used, use it on all our cars...... but yeah, these were literally crumbling!!! :mrgreen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/09/2020 at 20:19, Bumbaclut said:

S50 doesn't have the grunt to pull a lardy e34 imo neither does the S54.  S38 is the kiddy for this job especially 3.8

 

I'd argue that actually fitting a M50B25 isn't that much work and it makes a big difference.   The M50 is probably the best toughest engine BMW have ever made, they're good on fuel. You can build a stroker 3.0 which will get the torque up which you'll like more in the real world than the 7k RPM limit an S50 offers.  M50's turbo well  

this amused me, the E34 really isnt that heavy, a very brief google suggests they are 65 kilos lighter than an E36 M3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a few weeks back I fitted the Rc090 back on with two new tyres, fitted a track rod end and did the tracking.

 

taxed and insured it :shock:   

 

it hunts/surgesn on light throttle which I dont recall it doing when auto, swapped the TPS and no change, it has been sat 2 years + though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/09/2020 at 22:11, Kit said:


Angus BMW are only an hour away. Will see what they have to say. Thanks to all that have responded to my question, lots to digest.
 

Hopefully the trusty b20tu will get me back down south from the highlands safely, 700 mile drive coming up on Monday!

Angus Bucanan workshops used to be St Christopher's BMW the main dealer for North Essex / South Suffolk before Neep in Colchester. Run by two brothers who are characters! Loads of experience and parts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/09/2020 at 16:15, welshpug said:

this amused me, the E34 really isnt that heavy, a very brief google suggests they are 65 kilos lighter than an E36 M3.

 

 

thats rubbish! an M5 is 1700kgs odd, the E39 is a lighter car and the E60 is lighter than an E39.  Its only the lardy F1x series 5's that are heavier than E34s.  The lightest E34 is a 518i saloon. E34 is a lard pile, hence they need nice big engines and turbos to go quick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good question.

According to the reg my e39 525iA is 15kg heavier then my e34 525iA.

 

The f10 being heavier is no surprise. I think its similar in size then an e38.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, welshpug said:

how is an M5 250 kilos heavier than my diesel touring?

 It isn't, 525tds touring is 1635kg vs M5 1745kg so only 110kg difference. e36 M3 is only 1460kg so a lot lighter (options will make a small difference)

No way is an e34 65 kilos lighter than an E36 M3

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/

Edited by greenelekta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having actually weighed three E34 Tourings, all full of fuel and no passenger I can confirm E34's are pretty weighty.

 

5 speed M5 Touring, 1820kg

6 speed 540i Touring,  1860kg

Switch-Tronic B10 4.6 Touring, 1840kg.

 

The latter two cars had electric front seats, the M5 not and those figures suggest the weight difference between a 5 speed and 6 speed gearbox is not inconsiderable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sharkfan said:

Having actually weighed three E34 Tourings, all full of fuel and no passenger I can confirm E34's are pretty weighty.

 

5 speed M5 Touring, 1820kg

6 speed 540i Touring,  1860kg

Switch-Tronic B10 4.6 Touring, 1840kg.

 

The latter two cars had electric front seats, the M5 not and those figures suggest the weight difference between a 5 speed and 6 speed gearbox is not inconsiderable.


That’s quite a set of Tourings you had there mate. All yours?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All mine, I started with this one, a 1995 six speed manual with only 20k on a factory replacement engine; it was minty mcminty and had been used in two photo-shoots just before I bought it.

 

file.php?id=1124

 

file.php?id=24576

 

file.php?id=24577

 

I needed it for the dogs...

 

file.php?id=1149

 

Truth be told I would still have that car today and probably no Alpina's if a sleepy taxi-driver hadn't gently rolled into it one New Years Eve...

 

file.php?id=21869

 

It may not look terminal but the front wheel is about an inch and a half back from where it should be, the bottom of the a-pillar is creased sufficiently to not let the door open and there was a crease in the roof just above the edge of the windscreen. The whole car had been shunted back about 10 or 12 feet.

 

So I needed another dog-wagen and the cheapest M5 Touring in Europe popped up for sale...

 

file.php?id=21885

 

file.php?id=24578

 

It was far from minty mcminty but it was blackity-black-black with black leather interior, black-headlining, hella black headlights and even Touring smoked rear lights. Alas, some years parked outside on the Cornish Atlantic coast had riddled the body with rot so when the 3.8 engine started knocking the whole thing was doomed -  it was sold for parts and broken to its bits.

 

It was a hoot while I had it but it showed me the chalk and cheese difference between the 3.8 and 4.0 engines; the ///M engine had seemingly no power until at least 3000rpm and then spooled up to be completely addictive from about 4700rpm to the redline - the V8 had masses of easy and immediate urge but ran out of energy about 5500rpm onwards -just when the ///M lump was in full playtime mode.

 

I still needed an estate so I bought an E39 Touring but whilst owning the 540i/6 and M5 Touring cars I had learnt about the E34 Alpina Tourings. There were no B10-BiTurbo Tourings or B10 3.5 Tourings ever made in lhd or rhd, and out of all the B10 3.0 AllRad's, The B10 4.0 and B10 4.6, 93 cars in total, just one right hand drive car was ever made...

 

It had never been pictured, spotted on posted about ever in the UK except for an obscure magazine article when it was delivered in 1995, but I made myself a promise that if it ever popped up for sale I would try and buy it. 

 

Alpina B10 4.6 Touring, number 16 of 19 made. 4.6 litre V8 engine, 340bhp and 354lb/ft - just 20 bhp and 30lb/ft short of the Alpina B10 BiTurbo.

 

30351_alpina_b10_87_1.jpg

 

30351_alpina_b10_129_small_1.jpg

 

30351_alpina_b10_115_1.jpg

 

I bought it from the first owner who told me the tale of how it ended up choosing an obscure but very expensive Alpina Touring. He had a friend who had an E34 B10 3.5 from Sytner and he lied the way it drove but needed an estate car; he had been considering a 525iX Touring but felt it lacked sufficient 'go' so an Alpina brochure was found and he shown the details of the Alpina B10 3.0 AllRad Touring. It  seemed to tick all the boxes - 4wd, Touring, more power, but... he turned over the page and saw the picture and details of the B10 4.6 Touring. He promptly forgot all about the 4wd stuff and sorted out his specification and then placed his order.

 

It was due to be delivered in full stripes and badges from the factory but  sometime between placing the order and the car being finished his friend in the be-striped B10 3.5 got car-jacked so he changed the order to forget the stripes just put the badges in the glove box.

 

He owned and ran the car just as an anonymous silver E34 Touring for 17 years but had started to neglect it a little so after it being spotted by an Alpina enthusiast was asked if he would consider selling it. He was pretty horrified by the first few enquiries from people who wanted to rip the engine out and drop it into an E30 or kit-car so when I called and said I simply wanted to restore it and run it as a family car he was happy to talk. I bought it unseen and took a one-way ticket to Dover and had a very nice lunch with him and his wife before I became its second owner and I drove it home. I've had it eight years now and whilst there have been situations where we were nearly forced to sell it I'm very please I still have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sharkfan said:

All mine, I started with this one, a 1995 six speed manual with only 20k on a factory replacement engine; it was minty mcminty and had been used in two photo-shoots just before I bought it.

 

file.php?id=1124

 

file.php?id=24576

 

file.php?id=24577

 

I needed it for the dogs...

 

file.php?id=1149

 

Truth be told I would still have that car today and probably no Alpina's if a sleepy taxi-driver hadn't gently rolled into it one New Years Eve...

 

file.php?id=21869

 

It may not look terminal but the front wheel is about an inch and a half back from where it should be, the bottom of the a-pillar is creased sufficiently to not let the door open and there was a crease in the roof just above the edge of the windscreen. The whole car had been shunted back about 10 or 12 feet.

 

So I needed another dog-wagen and the cheapest M5 Touring in Europe popped up for sale...

 

file.php?id=21885

 

file.php?id=24578

 

It was far from minty mcminty but it was blackity-black-black with black leather interior, black-headlining, hella black headlights and even Touring smoked rear lights. Alas, some years parked outside on the Cornish Atlantic coast had riddled the body with rot so when the 3.8 engine started knocking the whole thing was doomed -  it was sold for parts and broken to its bits.

 

It was a hoot while I had it but it showed me the chalk and cheese difference between the 3.8 and 4.0 engines; the ///M engine had seemingly no power until at least 3000rpm and then spooled up to be completely addictive from about 4700rpm to the redline - the V8 had masses of easy and immediate urge but ran out of energy about 5500rpm onwards -just when the ///M lump was in full playtime mode.

 

I still needed an estate so I bought an E39 Touring but whilst owning the 540i/6 and M5 Touring cars I had learnt about the E34 Alpina Tourings. There were no B10-BiTurbo Tourings or B10 3.5 Tourings ever made in lhd or rhd, and out of all the B10 3.0 AllRad's, The B10 4.0 and B10 4.6, 93 cars in total, just one right hand drive car was ever made...

 

It had never been pictured, spotted on posted about ever in the UK except for an obscure magazine article when it was delivered in 1995, but I made myself a promise that if it ever popped up for sale I would try and buy it. 

 

Alpina B10 4.6 Touring, number 16 of 19 made. 4.6 litre V8 engine, 340bhp and 354lb/ft - just 20 bhp and 30lb/ft short of the Alpina B10 BiTurbo.

 

30351_alpina_b10_87_1.jpg

 

30351_alpina_b10_129_small_1.jpg

 

30351_alpina_b10_115_1.jpg

 

I bought it from the first owner who told me the tale of how it ended up choosing an obscure but very expensive Alpina Touring. He had a friend who had an E34 B10 3.5 from Sytner and he lied the way it drove but needed an estate car; he had been considering a 525iX Touring but felt it lacked sufficient 'go' so an Alpina brochure was found and he shown the details of the Alpina B10 3.0 AllRad Touring. It  seemed to tick all the boxes - 4wd, Touring, more power, but... he turned over the page and saw the picture and details of the B10 4.6 Touring. He promptly forgot all about the 4wd stuff and sorted out his specification and then placed his order.

 

It was due to be delivered in full stripes and badges from the factory but  sometime between placing the order and the car being finished his friend in the be-striped B10 3.5 got car-jacked so he changed the order to forget the stripes just put the badges in the glove box.

 

He owned and ran the car just as an anonymous silver E34 Touring for 17 years but had started to neglect it a little so after it being spotted by an Alpina enthusiast was asked if he would consider selling it. He was pretty horrified by the first few enquiries from people who wanted to rip the engine out and drop it into an E30 or kit-car so when I called and said I simply wanted to restore it and run it as a family car he was happy to talk. I bought it unseen and took a one-way ticket to Dover and had a very nice lunch with him and his wife before I became its second owner and I drove it home. I've had it eight years now and whilst there have been situations where we were nearly forced to sell it I'm very please I still have it.


I’m glad I asked! Great stuff. Very sorry about minty, what a way to start a new year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

It was sad about minty but I ended up in a very nice Alpina E34 - this is parked next to probably an even quicker E34 Touring...

 

30351_super_1_2.jpg

I assume that's the supercharged 540i.

 

There is a similar colour LHD one that has a turbo M60 V8 kicking out about 800bhp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, The owner and I drove the cars back to back and although marginal we think the supercharged car had the edge on the top end. We think it was running high 300's in bhp in comparison to the Alpina's 340bhp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MOT showed up that my left side rear fog light wasn't working.  Fortunately only one rear light is required so it still passed.

 

Investigating the cause found that the new inner cluster on the tailgate had a dry joint where the wire that goes to the bulb joins the connector block.  A few minutes with a soldering iron soon fixed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collected the car from BMS Surrey after some significant expenditure mainly fitting the refurbished rear SLS struts from Nagengast, m5 spec -10mm H&R springs, spheres and new fluid.

It feels and drives great, especially after refurbed injectors, fuel filter, 5w40 oil and a few vacuum pipes.

 

 

 

 

E0072BB6-C10E-4EC8-B132-08CAD59BAF61.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×