RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

5 hours ago, cornershop said:

Genuine parts fitted:

New wipers - made by bosch and alas only a blank circle where the old ones had a BMW logo - disappointing 

New oil cap

New expansion tank cap

New rear bumper plastics

How much were the bumper plastics if you don't mind me asking?

3 minutes ago, Bumbaclut said:

Thanks not to mental. It is but its not!

Quality of them isn’t great though, some areas where the paint is not quite even. Some fine scratches too. Saying that the paintwork isn’t great on mine so they don’t look too new if that makes sense.

Finally got the rear glass gas-struts replaced and the wiper working. You’ll see why things didn’t move or open by the picture of the original wiring. My mechanic got a repair section of loom from Germany and soldered it all in - it fixed all manner of things in one. Just sorting the rear washer and one of the fog lamp holders out and everything that makes it a touring will finally work for the first time in don’t know how many years!

EE77E594-7061-4217-A4D5-D2813425DDB3.png

ECBEA8A2-673F-4606-B330-986D514E6C85.jpeg

Edited by Kit

Did you get new OEM gas struts? When I replaced mine with new OEM struts the ends popped off the ball joints. I had to tighten the sockets up a bit by knocking the edges  over with a small hammer.

11 minutes ago, RichardP said:

Did you get new OEM gas struts? When I replaced mine with new OEM struts the ends popped off the ball joints. I had to tighten the sockets up a bit by knocking the edges  over with a small hammer.

They came from Germany too, I believe they are oem yes. They seem to have gone in fine and open steadily and smoothly. 

3 hours ago, RichardP said:

Mine did too, then randomly popped off.

To be clear do these tend to pop off once fitted and used for a while?

Maybe you got a bad batch? I swapped mine in march with OEM stabilus and they've been fine since then.

7 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

i need a pair for my wagon but i won't be going to the main dealer if i can help it

Yeah I didn't. For those, the bonnet struts, or the main tailgate ones, If you look at the old ones and input the stabilus part number, you'll be able to find the right ones at a much reduced price

7 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

i need a pair for my wagon but i won't be going to the main dealer if i can help it

I’ll find out what was fitted. Never seen it work so keen to get it back next week. It’s the simple stuff that makes all the difference. 

2 hours ago, sharkfan said:

^^^^ Thanks for the video; I knew what it did but had never seen it action before.

I do wonder how many of these things still work for other owners, I find I spend a bit of money getting stuff like this sorted but it’s very satisfying. Comes up and down thanks to water pressure, got to love German engineering. 

Edited by Kit

I think my nozzle is blocked. It goes up and down but nothing comes out.    No idea what's wrong with my rear screen wash though.......   :D

38 minutes ago, Flandy said:

I think my nozzle is blocked. It goes up and down but nothing comes out.    No idea what's wrong with my rear screen wash though.......   :D

Guessing you know it has its own water reservoir, easy fix if that’s empty! I have cut a strand off a sweeping brush before and used that to clean washer nozzles, can work a treat (as long as the brush is clean too!).

Edited by Kit

2 hours ago, Kit said:

Guessing you know it has its own water reservoir, easy fix if that’s empty! I have cut a strand off a sweeping brush before and used that to clean washer nozzles, can work a treat (as long as the brush is clean too!).

Yeah that's been out and de-scummed. More nozzle poking required I guess.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:15 AM, boiliebasher said:

Fitted new coolant radiator to the 540i  with a lot of faff, no thanks to incompetence of dickhead Nissens UK after sales rep. Wish I would of listened to my instincts and bought solid ally rad now. Oh well, never mind.

What dramas?

Fitted some oem roof bars. Worry a little bit about the rust on the retaining screws but it all seems solid enough now it’s in. Any idea where to get replacement nuts let me know!

E0EFF0C9-D695-410C-B3C7-1CF5C11EB0BA.jpeg

8FBECAC0-2A6B-4120-AA99-253FBC09BB46.jpeg

374DDBDF-D0A0-4C42-863C-07618D086A06.jpeg

B9800832-CD04-4F60-B2FB-8BC222B8746E.jpeg

Edited by Kit

Its been a couple weeks but I got the aircon back up an running.

Last year I swapped the condenser and electric fan as it was hissing from that area when the system was pressurized ith nitrogen. After a failed filling attempt I left it for winter. Then the head gasket failed and everything went on hold.

Anyway I knew it was still leaking so back to the nitrogen at the local garage:

e34-airco-1.jpg

It lost slight pressure. So the o-rings where the first suspected. Decided to change the dryer as I had it along with the o-rings:

e34-airco-2.jpg

No a luxury I think.

After chaning the dryer it kept pressure for 30-60 minutes. So decided to go though the filling process. Drove it for 30 minutes with a big smile and cool air on my face. Then at home I decided to mount the cover behind the headlight and was greeted by this mess:

e34-airco-3.jpg

Back to the garage to empty the system again. Lost about 40g of gas. Replaced 2 compressor o-rings...and all has been fine for a couple of weeks now.

e34-aug-2020.jpg

Pretty happy with a working aircon here in France :D

On 28/09/2018 at 09:45, cableguy said:

Re stereo, my e34 has the Dealer fit Blaupunkt which still works a treat and the amber matches the instruments, however I've been thinking of changing my stereo in the Pork which also has the same amber lighting and came across this little beauty which offers modern tech all wrapped up in a retro design: https://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/updated-blaupunkt-bremen-sqr46-coming-2018

C.

Now available https://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/products/car-multimedia/car-radio/products/single/19059/