RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

4 hours ago, Benji__ said:

That looks really great, care to share your secrets?

A good clean with rubbing alcohol, then some sandpapers from about 400 grit through 600, 800 to 1000. You can use a slightly damp cloth to raise any loose fibres then sand them down. Dabbed on some black leather dye and applied some rub on leather finishing lacquer. 

Keliuss

Only a little job, but changed the rear dogbones, or torque arms or whatever they’re actually called. The old ones were pretty mullered... also took the opportunity whilst fiddling with the car to nip up the steering pitman arm - wasn’t loose, but there was still scope to tighten it. I don’t know if that has really made any difference but changing the dogbones has stopped the arse of the car squirming and has removed a rather annoying clonk on takeoff.

Also thought of one way my E34 beats my E39: I can heel and toe in the E34 but for some reason cannot in the E39!

E734BB13-8B20-424D-87AD-2FAD821E2333.jpeg

DD726A56-B543-415A-95B0-A312CDC63FCC.jpeg

63AB5030-2069-4099-8620-26C644AD3E2A.jpeg

Edited by The Spooner

finally got around to getting the sunroof panels off, stared at the mechanism for ages, poked and prodded, realised how it was meant to work and figured which bit was seized, broke the plastic off the end of the right hand cable, pulled the front tube assembly off.

found that the cable had rusted solid and actually expanded and split the guide tube  4 inches from the end, sent a cutting disc through the tube either side of the bulge and out came the cable from the remains.

found a cable on a german website for half the dealer price delivered, and about £10 cheaper than ebay, i'll have to find some suitable tube to weld back in when the new cable arrives whenever it does!

had the sunroof open and close with the buttons :D

still a little stiff in some areas and I do need to replace the front guide tube set, and I need a fill set of headliners or have mine repaired.

Taxed it. Checked the tyre pressures. Drove it. Remembered how nice it is to drive. Was the first proper drive I have done since January in and the first since fitting the Z3 shifter, makesd a nice difference. Little notchy going from 1st to 2nd but the remaining gear changes are spot on. Would recommend to anyone thinking of this upgrade.

Fitted B8 bilstein inserts to the front with new top mounts.   Had to sleeve the mounts as they were supplied as 16mm diameter, but the bilstein are 14mm.  
What a massive improvement, yes the original boge shocks were knackered but the front end feels much better now.  I will either slot the top mounts or buy some camber plates to get a bit more camber as turn in is not that sharp.

Also fitted a small rear boot lip spoiler all the way from Lithuania.  Cheap at £25 and I am really pleased with the results, suits a white car well.  Cheers for now.  Ian 

866123DC-4A52-4E85-B6FD-A428ADEF6351.jpeg

1BF35526-2349-445E-BC9D-5CD354FFD19B.jpeg

Went to Birmingham to pick up two front doors as mine are rusting from the inside. My cars twin has clearly had a hard life, but thankfully is extending the life of others...

908996E0-4A3E-4E7F-BC92-0BF31FA4DB60.jpeg

Edited by Kit

17 minutes ago, Kit said:

Also treated myself to the 1995 UK brochure which arrived today.

Got one of these myself lately. Lovely to have.

Keliuss

The best bit is the options price list! Somebody else paid a butt load for the things that occasionally work on my car!

59 minutes ago, Flandy said:

The best bit is the options price list! Somebody else paid a butt load for the things that occasionally work on my car!

I took my E34 out for the first time in about six weeks today due to major driveway lock-in - all the options the factory and then I fitted all still work, including fabulous ice-cold AC :D

Edit; there's a thread for new E34 car cost and options costs...

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/8357-how-much-when-new/

Edited by sharkfan