RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

3 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

fuck sake no! 

If it's any consolation, I washed mine on Saturday then used it on Sunday to take my son and his friend to Brooklands to look at (and hear) some nice cars.  Didn't spot any other E34s there, sadly.

4 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

fuck sake no! 

1 hour ago, greenelekta said:

Yes! Other cars to drive. And the keep this special one safe!

I'm with Si on this; the comparison is having a beautiful wife and not having sex with her as you want to keep her pristine for when you divorce her :P

So at the weekend I did :-

Vinyl wrapped the side chrome thingys

Re-dyed the drivers seat bolsters 

Minor repair to bonnet corner

adjusted rear box of the Fritz’s system

fitted an afr meter.

then drove it 400 miles as part of the run in following engine rebuild.

40743619-B197-4413-A223-1867405229F1.jpeg

26A633BE-0D13-4E45-B56F-91793125F4E4.jpeg

2054CB58-FFAC-48EF-82CA-20CD4AA480FF.jpeg

222EB0E1-FFE9-4AE8-B2AD-962C1457C3C1.jpeg

F0CD0BAC-CA0D-4E3B-AB30-4E7A585ED3F2.jpeg

Edited by M635uk

15 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

have you run it in on mineral oil for 400 miles then or something?

Yes, will go to 1000 miles then an oil change.  

Its getting close to that now, seems all good and has been up to 5500 rpm.

Got rid of the dreadful window radio aerial. Replaced it with a proper bolted through the roof job. 100%improvement in radio reception.

38 minutes ago, simufly said:

Got rid of the dreadful window radio aerial. Replaced it with a proper bolted through the roof job. 100%improvement in radio reception.

I think i need to do the same, my reception is terrible

Replaced the HVAC fan.  Quite a tight fit would be an understatement.  You have to get the fan in between the engine and scuttle.  This is the old one I took out after putting most of the bits back.

48472951666_a067526773_b.jpg

The worst bit was getting the bolts that hold the closing panel on, the three at the bottom were very tight.  Recessed into the foam so you could not get a spanner on them and close enough to the engine that getting a ratchet on was near impossible.  Combine that with the panel having a foam gasket that needed compressing before the screws would bite resulted in significant swearing and grazed knuckles.

Pretty dirty in there too.

48473341266_9c8e388dc7_b.jpg

Edited by RichardP

Also had a new windscreen fitted and had the wipers and surrounding grills painted. Feels satisfyingly fresh again.

E3852CDE-1697-4F67-B5F2-F941B3CAE68D.jpeg

A57D033B-78E3-404E-97F7-F6E5633C6E83.jpeg

Edited by Kit

Ticked a few jobs off the winter progress list I have...

* Treated and cleaned the leather

* Cleaned the door cards and interior

* Hand polished the bumpers as they were looking a little flat compared to the rest of the body work

* Removed the mud flaps (which are for sale....)

* Failed at getting the wipers off to re-paint them

Edited by KitsonRis

This weekend I finally did my gearbox oil change on the 6speed, used a german oil, Ravenol MTF-2 75W80 which meets BMW MTL1 and 2 specifications. The label on the gearbox says ATF, but my mates 6spd gearbox says MTL1. Shifts do feel a bit smoother, but I'll have to drive the car before I can be sure.

I also adjusted the steering play, its quite a job on the V8s, got it done in about 2 hours. Steering is much better but there is still a little play, think the box is a bit beyond saving.

41 minutes ago, Benji__ said:

I also adjusted the steering play, its quite a job on the V8s, got it done in about 2 hours. Steering is much better but there is still a little play, think the box is a bit beyond saving.

I have this on mine too, I tried adjusting it, and I could only get rid of the play if the steering got stiff everywhere else, I guess a new or refurbished steering box is in order.

Cleaned the engine bay a bit, looks a bit smarter now. I would love to have it spotless under there and a painted engine but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Couldn't help but think if it would be ruined or improved with a set of throttle bodies.... If improved it would be the absolute last thing I do on it after all the other things I want doing. I would not be doing it for the power, just the looks and noise created.

A bit of a running report on this one.

20190801-191322.jpg

20190801-191114.jpg

Early august saw it in for MOT which was successful. Having said that, I would have expected a pass since (to my shame) the mileage travelled since the previous test amounted to a big fat '0'

But prior to that, I had started on a very necessary rear end rebuild. Although the (rear) suspension was just about adequate for immediate use it really did require refreshing. Most bushes were shot, CV boots perished and the wheel bearings were awful. It really was time for a full rebuild.

20190514-175847.jpg

The objective was to build up a complete refreshed rear end and, whilst fitting it, complete/tidy various areas left over from the saga of the rebuilding of the sills/jacking points, particularly the area behind the 'beer cans' which is inaccessible with the rear axle in place.

I also decided to upgrade and modify the axle to 'M5+' spec with the axle being fully adjustable for toe and camber angles, along with a few other choice upgrades.  

Massive update on this soon. I'll do a full write up if folks are interested in such things and I can find the time......

20190514-175631.jpg

Finished giving the tailgate a bit of a make over. Cut out a couple of bits that had rusted through from the inside, and replaced the very lumpy spoiler. Didn't fancy paying £350 for an original spoiler only for the mild steel inside the rubber to rust again. Bought a well made copy that's plastic and is also a bit larger, fits perfectly and was £115 inc p&p from the Ukraine.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg