RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

Today saw the replacement of the crank sensor in the Golden Nugget ...

We travelled down south yesterday for a friends birthday paintball event which was very enjoyable and some 388 miles later 

We stopped off for some  liquid gold at our local store ( the GN had performed faultless again)  and on return  The GN struggled to start ...

But finally after starting cut out three times on the last mile home and finally cut out safe outside BHQ.

This morning the GN would not start at all ... We guessed the crank sensor was at faulty 

So at 271,002 the GN's crank sensor finally went AWOL ... It was the original sensor as well ... yes that little retaining bolt was well rusted in  :D 

And with the new sensor fitted GN purred into life with half a turn of her key   Vonderbar  :D

Edited by Carl-e34

Lined the ashtray with 2mm neoprene (not very tidy, but it will stop my charger and cable rattling in there):

20190324_143356.thumb.jpg.3a378d246a8dfef411a0cfd2d1b4bfce.jpg

Replaced the footwell speakers (driver's side was a pain in the arse!):

20190324_142603.thumb.jpg.ff35d4eff621d20423aa5f700e07807e.jpg

And supervised a wash:

20190324_111526.thumb.jpg.eb1692b3bf26a714db74b64ef63d803d.jpg

Quick wash, need to wax it next time.

Also stuck some rubber to the base of the wiper to stop the thud sound when it hits the bonnet. Simple fix that works. 

3A8A1B78-0CE1-4946-9FCF-08CBF7F2AC0F.jpeg

2D6004EE-1EEE-4358-93A9-F09075AAF760.jpeg

Edited by Kit

When I saw the photo of the old girl I have to admit a tear or two came up but she looks real good,      Regrets  but glad she has a good home .  The memories in that old girl are numerous too many to ever forget her 

9 hours ago, RumRunner said:

When I saw the photo of the old girl I have to admit a tear or two came up but she looks real good,      Regrets  but glad she has a good home .  The memories in that old girl are numerous too many to ever forget her 

Guessing you are not talking about my car here and I missed another post previous to mine?!

5 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

^ you did, Bolf's 525i in post above yours used to be Bill's (rum runner) car.

Thought so! My touring was not well looked after, i’ve bought it back to life visually and mechanically over the past 2 years. 

I shed a tear when I got some of the bills!

Wo don't not even want to think what I spent on the old girl, but at least she has a good home.  It will always be my regret that I was unable to finish her.   Still it's life my grandkids are upset Ithat she has gone as the two oldest have memories in her.  Both the oldest  ones first trip from the hospital was in her.   Still I have the memories  

On 11/04/2019 at 21:55, Kit said:

Also stuck some rubber to the base of the wiper to stop the thud sound when it hits the bonnet. Simple fix that works. 

I like this. Mine hits on the bonnet too and no matter how low I put the wiper it looks broken and also still hits. I am also getting my bonnet resprayed in a few weeks so might have to do this to stop it getting damaged.

Edited by KitsonRis

On 13/04/2019 at 09:13, KitsonRis said:

I like this. Mine hits on the bonnet too and no matter how low I put the wiper it looks broken and also still hits. I am also getting my bonnet resprayed in a few weeks so might have to do this to stop it getting damaged.

I posted a link to the rubber I bought on eBay (£2!) on the wiper rack chat (currently the chat below this one on the forum list). I simply made a template from cardboard then cut the rubber. You maybe want to add some stronger glue but I’m giving it a go as is first. You can get 2 cut from the sq so I have one spare if need be.

Edited by Kit

Attached some foam pads to my wipers like @Kit has done.

Also washed it....but it was already clean....I am very sad :? although at least it is proper clean for the body shop next week, which I am very excited about.

23 hours ago, KitsonRis said:

Attached some foam pads to my wipers like @Kit has done.

Also washed it....but it was already clean....I am very sad :? although at least it is proper clean for the body shop next week, which I am very excited about.

Hope it does the trick. You may feel you need stonger glue if it starts to come away after a soaking but hopefully not.

On 11/04/2019 at 21:55, Kit said:

Quick wash, need to wax it next time.

3A8A1B78-0CE1-4946-9FCF-08CBF7F2AC0F.jpeg

Looking lovely :)

Organised the shed, ready for open sill surgery and mot before 27/05. Amazing what you find during a tidy up!

guys, no need to bodge the wipers with lumps of tat stuck on, alter the angle of the assembly by moving the motor upwards, may need to add a washer under the bracket, also play in the spindles will not help.

Started to remove the Differential But those  hex bolts stopped play ... Oiled and cleaned out and still a bugger :) 

So might drop the rear sub-frame from under the Nugget this Saturday and have a clean up while out of the way ...  

2 hours ago, USTBUTLER said:

Started to remove the Differential But those  hex bolts stopped play ... Oiled and cleaned out and still a bugger :) 

So might drop the rear sub-frame from under the Nugget this Saturday and have a clean up while out of the way ...  

Have they rounded off or just won't budge?!

2 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

Have they rounded off or just won't budge?!

Hi Marc, The one side has one rounded off hex and the other side won't budge The hex's were well soaked in oil too.

We had planned to swap the Nuggets original LSD with our spare low miles LSD as normally not that much trouble :ph34r:   

So will leave until the weekend I've at least been to compile a list of items in need of renewing mounts/links etc.