RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

Fitted new battery, bit of a faff re tight space and waggle to get front edge under rear seat lip, needed to bend the lip up a bit to squeeze it right into position twice, once for battery to go back fully and then reverse bend so weird clamp system could be reconnected (insecure battery re MoT inspection now = failure), all done and car run  for two lots of 20 mins to get rid of damp as it not been started since December last.

glad that over and done with - very cold working in the field where this was one hidden - was sunny and dry though !!

Edited by urquattro

Fitted the new Bilstein B8 rear shocks and Eibach springs with all new associated parts (apart from the bump stops)

c1a319ceef114ec2927ae929730b490c.jpg

fa081d81bfb85953a32023edf040897c.jpg

98c0dcd741bdb0a29498b45326876f69.jpg

df144191689574c424116d44be2a074c.jpg

The car now has all the parts of a B12 kit. Will give it a little test and settling in drive once rush hour has been and gone :-)

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Fitted new battery, bit of a faff re tight space and waggle to get front edge under rear seat lip, needed to bend the lip up a bit to squeeze it right into position twice, once for battery to go back fully and then reverse bend so weird clamp system could be reconnected (insecure battery re MoT inspection now = failure), all done and car run  for two lots of 20 mins to get rid of damp as it not been started since December last.

glad that over and done with - very cold working in the field where this was one hidden - was sunny and dry though !!

Not that you wouldn't bolt it down, but can a tester remove the back seats to check the security ? and yes i agree its an arse trying to get the bigger battery in.

This battery you guys are struggling with, what size is it? I thought they were supposed to take a type 019 but if I'm going to have to bend stuff to get it in I'll get a smaller one.

I bought a battery from BMW and its made by Exide ( Length: 278 mm, Width: 175 mm, Height: 175 mm)

http://ows-cdn.tecdoc.net/exide/home.jsp?server=2&time=12/2/2016-12:44:48#73b7fd6597330b0a60c63e415ffd4c90

EXIDE Starter Battery PREMIUM ***

Trade numbers: 096TE

Voltage: 12 V, Battery Capacity: 72 Ah, Cold-test Current, EN: 730 A, Length: 278 mm, Width: 175 mm, Height: 175 mm, Terminal Placement: 0, Terminal Type: EN, Hold-down: B13, Cold-test Current, EN: 720 A

And they do a standard one too:

EXIDE Starter Battery EXCELL **

Trade numbers: 096SE

Voltage: 12 V, Battery Capacity: 71 Ah, Cold-test Current, EN: 670 A, Length: 278 mm, Width: 175 mm, Height: 175 mm, Terminal Placement: 0, Terminal Type: EN, Hold-down: B13

M5 battery is a very tight fit under back seat and up against front of rear seat frame, with a slip under ledge for front profile and a raised block at rear to fit inside,  this is drilled with a threaded insert for attaching the base retaining strap ( two pieces) the second piece then meet the lip of the seat frame and is secured at that point.

plus edc wiring and plugs in way as well. My garage will test the battery securing issue re any MoT, totally sure of that hence the need to do it properly.

Maybe the new the battery case is just a touch bigger than the old/original re some EU standard now, so it was grunt/groan/moan and bum in the air time for a while to manoeuvre it properly in for strap to fit - took a removal and second placement to waggle it home after the lip bending task re overall height now just touching the underside of seat base. Its important to make front edge of battery slide into the front retaining shape in floor - that was the key in my car.

needs to be a high amp/starting load to bang to 3.8 into full start mode in colder times.

Edited by urquattro

Ah an M5 specific complication then.

The battery in my 525i has spent most of the past two years flat as a pancake, I'll be upgrading to a bigger one as 68aH is a bit borderline.

my M5 has a 95ah bosch S4 badboy, needs it that big 6. Alot of engine to turn over! Its a very tight fit also

I bought a battery from BMW and its made by Exide ( Length: 278 mm, Width: 175 mm, Height: 175 mm)

http://ows-cdn.tecdoc.net/exide/home.jsp?server=2&time=12/2/2016-12:44:48#73b7fd6597330b0a60c63e415ffd4c90

EXIDE Starter Battery PREMIUM ***

Trade numbers: 096TE

Voltage: 12 V, Battery Capacity: 72 Ah, Cold-test Current, EN: 730 A, Length: 278 mm, Width: 175 mm, Height: 175 mm, Terminal Placement: 0, Terminal Type: EN, Hold-down: B13, Cold-test Current, EN: 720 A

And they do a standard one too:

EXIDE Starter Battery EXCELL **

Trade numbers: 096SE

Voltage: 12 V, Battery Capacity: 71 Ah, Cold-test Current, EN: 670 A, Length: 278 mm, Width: 175 mm, Height: 175 mm, Terminal Placement: 0, Terminal Type: EN, Hold-down: B13

Thank you for you're help with the steering box people going to attempt it this weekend. I have just fitted this battery it was from halfords £120 it's a monster but fitted without any bending of metal at all

M5 battery is a very tight fit under back seat and up against front of rear seat frame, with a slip under ledge for front profile and a raised block at rear to fit inside, this is drilled with a threaded insert for attaching the base retaining strap ( two pieces) the second piece then meet the lip of the seat frame and is secured at that point.

plus edc wiring and plugs in way as well. My garage will test the battery securing issue re any MoT, totally sure of that hence the need to do it properly.

Maybe the new the battery case is just a touch bigger than the old/original re some EU standard now, so it was grunt/groan/moan and bum in the air time for a while to manoeuvre it properly in for strap to fit - took a removal and second placement to waggle it home after the lip bending task re overall height now just touching the underside of seat base. Its important to make front edge of battery slide into the front retaining shape in floor - that was the key in my car.

needs to be a high amp/starting load to bang to 3.8 into full start mode in colder times.

Ah an M5 specific complication then.

The battery in my 525i has spent most of the past two years flat as a pancake, I'll be upgrading to a bigger one as 68aH is a bit borderline.

my M5 has a 95ah bosch S4 badboy, needs it that big 6. Alot of engine to turn over! Its a very tight fit also

I have the Bosch S5 013 100ah Battery in mine (E39 M5 spec apparently) and it's a snug fit... This is also known as the 019.

8da130507dbb5c3a1ac01c788bbc75c0.jpg

5058724633bdaaca67cf40d95c9f5b38.jpg

Edited by Spice-Boy

Today I removed my B-pillars as the material had come loose and took it to a local car upholstery company and they were kind enough to sort them out for me :-)

fa6684a8087cf72dd2574c3526dfae25.jpg

28542021b00a95b2c1a7bfcda3d6416c.jpg

aebee58767e2f6592d3d918b2d192b86.jpg

More stuff done today... M5 seat belts fitted, one of the newly repaired B-pillars fitted, strut bar fitted (dunno if I'm keeping it yet though) and more rattle hunting (failed too)...

c3fc9c3dea9147cc7cde500d7f627e6d.jpg

3a4808ae7fd188230bdbe6ed6cdfa5a6.jpg

I am a very happy camper today aftger the engine not starting for close to a year.  Put a new battery in and turned over for  secs she fired and ran.  Slight ticking from the tappets other wise sounded good gives me the motivation to get the car finished. It did bring a big smile to my face to hear the engine running took it all the way up to running temps and all was good oil temp, oil pressure and voltmeter was good as was the coolant temp

So today is the start of getting the car prepped for MOT retest. My polybushes arrived from Poland (shout out to StrongFlex, super quick delivery! Only 4 days!!). So I started polybush bushing the front thrust arms, and front & rear roll bars. haven't tackled the lower control arms just yet, because my NSF one is steel, where as the OSF is aluminium, so going to sort that out soon. 

24506406963_08177b53e0_z_d.jpg

Also ripped out the back seat, as I'm going to be fitting some new 60/40 lowering springs I picked up for a bargin £21!! (They were on sale). 

Still got loads to do, such as rear sub-frame bushes, trailing arm bushes, fitting a new steering lock, and then change my OSR wheel bearing. The finally I'll be able to then replace the handbrake mechanisms. 

Edited by BkS

520 touring panel donor dragged back to storage. Time to invest in metal shears me thinks