stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

On 10/27/2021 at 6:06 PM, Ray112 said:

May I ask what approximately it cost these days to fully respray E39 size car? I know it still will varie depending on condition and what need to be done etc.

If we take out any repairs (rust/dents/etc) and it’s just a respray, I’d say it would start at around £1500 for a crappy job and go to around £5000 for a really good one, so I’d guesstimate around £3000 for an average job. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule as I’ve seen terrible and expensive jobs and cheap yet incredible jobs, you just need to spend a lot of time researching and visiting body shops. I have 3 that I use, one for cheap jobs on small items(mirror covers, trims, etc), one that I use when I need a decent finish on a whole panel and one that I use when I need concourse quality paintwork and for example a bumper respray (if already off the car) would be £100 at the first place, £200 at the second and £350 at the third.

After making the decision to keep the 530i as the daily and sell the 540i(I say that but I’ve been meaning to sell one of them for the past 6 months and yet they both remain:mrgreen:), I’ve spent the last week perfecting the 540i by replacing valve covers, detailing the engine bay and having the front bumper and wings repainted(and playing with my new camera for the ‘artsy’ photos haha).

2F2CA8BE-8851-44F3-82AA-6BF378FC2CF0.jpeg

E3DAD80F-EF5A-4EB6-B50F-EA59B6DFBD20.jpeg

4793D133-B315-4E8D-ABBD-780661A9FBFC.jpeg

CB33F23B-6091-4D73-B64E-C7C2B45ECD4F.jpeg

6F8EB841-F0FC-496E-AB30-699EF2957230.jpeg

905781A0-93EC-4CA4-8929-2E0975B49C27.jpeg

CB02F77D-7431-4747-995A-AE004808D1E9.jpeg

A07E4CC5-4EA7-42B1-A8A7-375C5F91316A.jpeg

3A7DD9B4-3416-4FC2-827F-93A28EE31FD2.jpeg

On 25/10/2021 at 20:51, greenelekta said:

I’ve watched these, and others, but they don’t seem to help!

I’ve clearly got a bastard of a car!

Behind the rad grilles is cowling that channel air into the radiator etc, so have had to cut some of it away. I’ve even bought a pry bar set to give me leverage access.

However, it would seem that the underside of the catch doesn’t allow access to the cable ends/operating levers so I can operate the lock externally.

I’m beginning to dislike the beast!

Are you sure it’s broken and not stuck?

have someone hold the release handle in the car up (or wedge it with something)

then go and push down on bonnet before pulling it up.

if it’s stuck, then this should release it

On 25/10/2021 at 20:51, greenelekta said:

How I wish this beast had the bonnet cable as per the us models!

That would be dead easy!

As it is, access is very restricted on the dvr side. See the photos.

#1 is the passenger (near side)

#2 is the dvr side. Aargh!!!!!!

17B1B3EB-37A7-49B5-B2DE-A8DF384060C6.jpeg

487C5BD1-2099-4019-98BB-B70DAC1262E0.jpeg

Well it’s open now, but W hat a fight that was!

I’m so glad I did it myself though. God alone knows what it would have cost in a garage, no matter how friendly!!!

It would seem that one of the cables has stretched. The one that goes from the link to the dvr side catch.

I think I’d best replace all 3 though. If one is stretched, then they all will be!

still, if I can secure the intermediate cable to deal with the stretch, that’ll do as a temp measure. 

Finally replaced the remote fob batteries in both keys. They died years ago, for the time it took to replace the batteries, I really should have done it sooner.  I didn't like having to glue the key cases back together but I can live with it vs the cost of two brand new keys.

Edited by slam

The 535i failed its mot yesterday, 3tyres and a blown hard line on the brakes, thank god its NS front and not above the petrol tank.

Wasn't expecting that!

Started being charged £12.5 for a shopping trip due to ULEZ so decided to sell. Anyone knows people interested? Priced adequately for it's condition.

C1391D49-C594-4CD8-AFEA-25A7B114071B.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Started being charged £12.5 for a shopping trip due to ULEZ so decided to sell. Anyone knows people interested? Priced adequately for it's condition.

C1391D49-C594-4CD8-AFEA-25A7B114071B.jpeg

Pay £10 to become a Gold member on here & get it advertised :) 

The 540i touring is still a wanted car

good 535i news to help offset captain beaky's above!

Minor works and MOT time; had the front droplinks replaced, the tracking checked and reset, and MOT done.

Clean bill of health for next 12 months and no surprises - so - next to progress the wishlist items : )

Edited by Huff

B10 V8 Touring number 12/1 MoT passed today with no advisories :D New front OEM offside wing has arrived and some fittings ordered (with Dan's advice - thank you) and booked in for a re-spray on Monday - hopefully to get it looking back to its best again...

snakepass+meet+(3).JPG

Another year. Another MOT. 

Passed without issue. Was a little worried as hadn’t chance to check handbrake over and has a slight rattle (drop links maybe)

Going to need some sprucing up though. Looking a little tired. 

Drop links would have been picked-up on the MOT - mine actually failed this year because  the boot on one end of one front droplink had torn, though it was entirely play-free. (but replacing these is cheap and easy)

The rattle will be ... something annoying simple but hard to pin down : )  - exhaust heat shield or similar? Good luck with a fix - do please tell us when you find it!

Its more clonky than a heat shield and as if something is loose in that its not related to bumps or loading. Noticable at low speed not at speed. Its frustrating as i have replaced everything on the front end at least once!

Bearings, dampers and hubs 13k ago

ARB bushes 16k ago

Upper and lower TCA's 19k ago

Top mounts 26k ago

drop links 30k ago

Hence thinking as they are cheap and easy i'd start there.

Don't really want to a full front end rebuild as the car is at a cross roads with me but will do whats needed.

37 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Its more clonky than a heat shield and as if something is loose in that its not related to bumps or loading. Noticable at low speed not at speed. Its frustrating as i have replaced everything on the front end at least once!

Bearings, dampers and hubs 13k ago

ARB bushes 16k ago

Upper and lower TCA's 19k ago

Top mounts 26k ago

drop links 30k ago

Hence thinking as they are cheap and easy i'd start there.

Don't really want to a full front end rebuild as the car is at a cross roads with me but will do whats needed.

I had similar rattle, only below 40mph, stopped when applying brakes, and I couldn't find cause of it for over 6 months. In the end replaced track rod end+ steering knuckle and upper wishbone and it's all quiet again. None of parts had noticeable movement in ball joint neither on car testing with pry bar or when inspecting after removal. Possibility load when driving makes them move.

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Another year. Another MOT. 

Passed without issue. Was a little worried as hadn’t chance to check handbrake over and has a slight rattle (drop links maybe)

Going to need some sprucing up though. Looking a little tired. 

Drop links; or inner tie rods/track rod ends...

Hard to suss even on an MOT; but swap them out as they're cheap (Moog, Meyle or Lemforder) and it should be sorted

As i say its not a heavy sound but not a rattling shield either.

I'm glad it passsed for obvious reasons but had it failed i would have been happy becasue it would identify an issue!

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

As i say its not a heavy sound but not a rattling shield either.

I'm glad it passsed for obvious reasons but had it failed i would have been happy becasue it would identify an issue!

Can you only hear the noise with windows open or is it audible inside?

Brake anti rattle springs?

Had that with my nephew's car a few years ago. He's had the pads changed and they hadn't fitted the springs back correctly, as they weren't there!

We took it on rough roads so we could hear it as the car drove past.

Took us ages to track down, changed loads of parts before we spotted it!  It was so 'in your face' that we couldn't see it!

New 'anti rattle spring' and hey presto, nice and silent car!

Worth checking at least.

I fitted a new screenwash reservoir and fill pipe yesterday. Old one was leaking. All nice and clean and can hold it's water now!

20211119_231531.thumb.jpg.847e043736ffdc362e2ba90b8e7ea503.jpg

It was a second hand reservoir, but I went to town on cleaning it up, it came up almost like new. Shame it's hidden from view on the car!

11 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Unlikley to be the track rods as last thing i did!

Don't be so sure; these things can fail even when new...

But I'd still stand by the drop links; can soon be taken off & checked 

Of course though I can’t say I’ve ever replaced a track rod because it’s worn. Only to make alignment easier. 

I’ll check of course but it’s not high on the list.