stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1 hour ago, AdamB said:

So theoretically I might be able to get to the stinky bit and spray some of the ac cleaning foam at it? 

sorry, I kind of meant evaporator instead of heater matrix anyway.

Yes, you can, and there's somewhere a thread about where to drill a hole, so you can spray the cleaning stuff in. 

Looks like you have already found that thread and commented on it. There's pictures showing all the thing and description explaining everything. 

Edited by Ray112

On 18/10/2021 at 17:38, AdamB said:

Genuine?

Sadly not - I gave up looking for one of those a long time ago .

I'd always hesitated about buying a copy as I'd heard many were a very poor fit, especially those advertised on Evilbay.

However a while ago I came across a thread on bimmerforums. A guy had made it his mission to have good quality fibreglass copies made. He initially had some supplier problems, but ultimately ended up with a good product with positive feedback from those who had purchased from him.

I took the plunge and ordered one. Sadly mine was damaged in transit through no fault of the seller ( his packaging was excellent ). He was happy for me to return the damaged item and send another, but after some thought I decided to keep the original and have it repaired. 

The fit to the body is excellent and I'm really pleased with the end result:D

Front anti roll bar bushes. 

It's amazing how horrible these can feel when they are worn. I've had them for a while but I was working late and decided to throw them on while I was waiting for a car to be collected. 

The old ones were genuine and rather oval. 

New febi items fitted 

20211019_203801.jpg

20211019_203817.jpg

20211019_204401.jpg

20211019_210107.jpg

20211019_210101.jpg

20211019_204525.jpg

20211019_204357.jpg

20211019_204424.jpg

Temperature question. Was driving through town for a about an hour in a slow pace London traffic. Temp measure outside was slowly increasing until it reached 23.5 C. Is this normal? Once I got going it dropped to 20.5 and stayed there although outside was only 18 max. Engine temp was spot on bang in the middle all the way. Thanks for responding. 

I'd not worry about that - the external air temp sensor is a convenience, and embedded in the  driver-side front of the front bumper / undertray. It has nothing to do with coolant temps - nor cabin temp/ the internal cabin temp regulation, either.

if you are static/crawling in traffic yes, this readout does get affected a little by the downwash from your own engine fan, and the higher temps there from cars in front/around. You'll see the same effect on really bright /hot summer days when the air temp might be in the high twenties C but the tarmac is a lot hotter ... and the OBC will say something like >35degC you don't quite believe either.

This is all normal; don't worry about it; and remember the engine management measures intake air temps at the MAF - which is often very, very close to ambient.

ETA:

I once managed to scrape the front undertray over a kerb my last e39 just (lightly) enough to have ground through this sensor/its wire before the connector. Drove around with 'outside air temp' reading c. -40degC as a result for about a week before the replacement arrived: I can confirm all systems are utterly unaffected by that state of affairs!

Edited by Huff

10 hours ago, Huff said:

I'd not worry about that - the external air temp sensor is a convenience, and embedded in the  driver-side front of the front bumper / undertray. It has nothing to do with coolant temps - nor cabin temp/ the internal cabin temp regulation, either.

if you are static/crawling in traffic yes, this readout does get affected a little by the downwash from your own engine fan, and the higher temps there from cars in front/around. You'll see the same effect on really bright /hot summer days when the air temp might be in the high twenties C but the tarmac is a lot hotter ... and the OBC will say something like >35degC you don't quite believe either.

This is all normal; don't worry about it; and remember the engine management measures intake air temps at the MAF - which is often very, very close to ambient.

ETA:

I once managed to scrape the front undertray over a kerb my last e39 just (lightly) enough to have ground through this sensor/its wire before the connector. Drove around with 'outside air temp' reading c. -40degC as a result for about a week before the replacement arrived: I can confirm all systems are utterly unaffected by that state of affairs!

Thanks, thought so and maybe not paid attention earlier on but rising temp as I go along was interesting from 17 to 23.5 :)

Airbag recall day today...

Not a great success.  The airbag is fine and does not need replacement but the main dealer carrying out the work managed to release the car with the airbag warning light on which, it transpired, was actually due to them not properly connecting the airbag after checking it. I cannot for the life of me work out how they managed to do that without noticing.  Perhaps they were preoccupied by trying to cover up the mess that they made of my airbag cover or the scratches that they managed to add to the hard plastic surround on my steering wheel.

So I turned up with a safe car, left with an unroadworthy one, and now have a safe one again after their second attempt but in aesthetically worse condition than when I first turned up.

Can't help but wonder why main dealers get so much stick?!

4 hours ago, JonJon said:

Airbag recall day today...

Not a great success.  The airbag is fine and does not need replacement but the main dealer carrying out the work managed to release the car with the airbag warning light on which, it transpired, was actually due to them not properly connecting the airbag after checking it. I cannot for the life of me work out how they managed to do that without noticing.  Perhaps they were preoccupied by trying to cover up the mess that they made of my airbag cover or the scratches that they managed to add to the hard plastic surround on my steering wheel.

So I turned up with a safe car, left with an unroadworthy one, and now have a safe one again after their second attempt but in aesthetically worse condition than when I first turned up.

Can't help but wonder why main dealers get so much stick?!

After all it would be nice to know the number on the airbag sticker to be sure if they even did the job right.

Interesting as they’ve replaced airbags in both of my e39’s.

tbh though from the sounds of it they didn’t know how to remove the airbag.

id be going back and complaining, getting them to fit a new airbag for good measure AND a new trim piece to the steering wheel.

I have already been contacted by a very red faced workshop manager, who was spitting feathers at whomever had worked on it. Copying my email of complaint to BMW UK may have had something to do with that…

Has anyone looked into the original BMW flashlight? Mines not charging. Looked incise and I’ve got two wires hanging where it supposed to connected to main charge cable. I also have a cable hanging with two wires in it which could be a match but both show same voltage so one cannot be neutral. Ideas?

65887F4D-AB05-4E20-9481-45E94225DDFC.jpeg

20 hours ago, JonJon said:

I have already been contacted by a very red faced workshop manager, who was spitting feathers at whomever had worked on it. Copying my email of complaint to BMW UK may have had something to do with that…

Nice

17 hours ago, Ray112 said:

People are complaining about how useless e39 cupholders are. Actually they can do more things than just hold your drink. For example quite good phone holder, at least for iPhone mini:D

IMG_20211024_145418.jpg

That looks good.

Btw in my view the reason people complain is that they try and use them for what they were not designed.  They are for 330ml soft drink cans and work perectly.  Cups of coffee are another matter.  

Have you seen on you tube how easy it is to put wireless charging underneath the tray (connect to cig lighter and cheap components from Amazon c£50 all in)? YouTube it

2 hours ago, Adrian1662 said:

Have you seen on you tube how easy it is to put wireless charging underneath the tray (connect to cig lighter and cheap components from Amazon c£50 all in)? YouTube it

Great idea.  Thanks.  I just saw these videos and am going to attempt this.  £13 on ebay.

Edited by Dbcrd

F***ing Bonnet cable is caput!!!

Any ideas about how the **** I can get the offside catch released before I resort to drastic measures which will require a new bonnet?

Robert

49 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Any ideas about how the **** I can get the offside catch released before I resort to drastic measures which will require a new bonnet?

Robert

There will be some more in here...

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/search/?q=bonnet cable&type=forums_topic&nodes=64&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

5 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Robert

The years of being outside and a daily driver/work wagon have taken a toll on my E39 but it all (chocolate E39 cooling system aside) still works perfectly so a friend introduced me to a friend of a friend who does paintwork/resprays. When I asked if I could see some of his work he pulled back a door and showed me an immaculate Ferrari 330GT he just finished putting back together - I think my car is in good hands :rolleyes:  - it's all booked for a re-spray in mid November.

32 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

The years of being outside and a daily driver/work wagon have taken a toll on my E39 but it all (chocolate E39 cooling system aside) still works perfectly so a friend introduced me to a friend of a friend who does paintwork/resprays. When I asked if I could see some of his work he pulled back a door and showed me an immaculate Ferrari 330GT he just finished putting back together - I think my car is in good hands :rolleyes:  - it's all booked for a re-spray in mid November.

May I ask what approximately it cost these days to fully respray E39 size car? I know it still will varie depending on condition and what need to be done etc.

It will very much depend where you are in the country and exactly how much they need to do - mine has blisters of rust around the rear arches, ends of sills, rear lights and a few other blisters/blemishes, and I am buying a new OEM front wing rather than make do with some blister repairs there. There is also the fact that I am in the South East which is a multipler as well - suffice to say its's fairly well into four figures but quite a way from five.