Jump to content
stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, AdamB said:

Earlier this week I sent my ABS module off to ECUTesting (due to intermittent heat-soak related issues)

 

Due to a massive f*ck-up by DHL, it only arrived there on Friday.
 

Hopefully, they’ll have it diagnosed and repaired either today or tomorrow.

 

I’ve not wanted to drive the car (or even turn the ignition on) whilst the module isn’t fitted.

 

Whilst I had the opportunity I thought I’d look into why my steering wheel airbag has always sat wonky. So much so the horn would only work when it was pressed in a specific direction. Someone suggested it probably just needed removing and re-seating.

 

I removed the airbag earlier in the week and checked everything, all seemed ok generally, but the spring clip bracket seemed to have issues… it seemed slightly bent, and one of the spring clips was very stiff/stuck. On refitting the airbag, the issue was still present.

 

I found another used bracket on eBay, that arrived speedily. After fitting this my airbag is now central with a decent gap all the way around it. (Maybe not perfect, but good enough for me for now.)

 

it appears, as I’ve read in a certain service bulletin that if the airbag has operated, you’re meant to change the entire steering wheel…

 

this is apparently because bmw never supplied the bracket separately!
 

so for anyone looking to fit the facelift wheel (as the PO had done with my car), this is something to be aware of as if you buy a wheel from a crash damaged car, the bracket might be bent.

 

My ABS module decided to not work the other week; sent it to ECU Testing also; all sorted and fixed for £200. Took a week all in and would highly recommend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

Blimey.  Hope you manage to match it with something as good.  If such exists.

 

Well; will see what's out there.

 

I've a few that I'm looking at, but need to get some test drives in & take it from there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

So what's the plan next, V8 7 series? 

 

And is next owner a member of here or if not, possibly planning to join the place? 

 

I've advised Matt to join here; he's already on the PH forums, which is how he came to learn of mine etc

 

Re next; I'd love a V8, but deffo not an F01 due to the horror stories (out of budget too) but there is one E65 750i that's local'ish to me, which looks great and it's had all the engine/gaskets work done etc

 

But there are a few F01 730Ds that I'm interested in and I've found a few later E61 530Ds that interest me too; but wondering if I want to do down the touring route again...

 

Unfortunately the F11 tourings are too expensive still and I want nothing to do with a 4 pot derv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

I've advised Matt to join here; he's already on the PH forums, which is how he came to learn of mine etc

 

Re next; I'd love a V8, but deffo not an F01 due to the horror stories (out of budget too) but there is one E65 750i that's local'ish to me, which looks great and it's had all the engine/gaskets work done etc

 

But there are a few F01 730Ds that I'm interested in and I've found a few later E61 530Ds that interest me too; but wondering if I want to do down the touring route again...

 

Unfortunately the F11 tourings are too expensive still and I want nothing to do with a 4 pot derv

535d might be an option if you are considering e61/f11, thought they will be with higher price tag than 530d but usually they are very well equipped cars plus more powerful. But for the miles you are doing, V8 could bring more smiles. Choices are never easy. Anyway, knowing your attitude to every detail, bringing everything to perfection, it will be interesting to see what comes next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

I've advised Matt to join here; he's already on the PH forums, which is how he came to learn of mine etc

 

Re next; I'd love a V8, but deffo not an F01 due to the horror stories (out of budget too) but there is one E65 750i that's local'ish to me, which looks great and it's had all the engine/gaskets work done etc

 

But there are a few F01 730Ds that I'm interested in and I've found a few later E61 530Ds that interest me too; but wondering if I want to do down the touring route again...

 

Unfortunately the F11 tourings are too expensive still and I want nothing to do with a 4 pot derv

 

The early production F11 525Ds are 6 cylinders too, they changed the 525d to a 4 cylinder in late 2011. Basically the same engine as the 530d, can be tuned to similar levels if desired. Might be worth a look if those are in range. F11 is a very different car than an E39 though, it feels twice the size and it's nothing alike to drive. Not that it's bad, it's just nothing like an E39. E60s are much closer to the E39.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

535d might be an option if you are considering e61/f11, thought they will be with higher price tag than 530d but usually they are very well equipped cars plus more powerful. But for the miles you are doing, V8 could bring more smiles. Choices are never easy. Anyway, knowing your attitude to every detail, bringing everything to perfection, it will be interesting to see what comes next.

 

Agree re the E61s, but the F11 535Ds are way out of budget and not many about

 

The E61 535Ds that are available out there feel quite expensive and TBH for that money I'd rather have an F01 7'er as that 7 series build quality, IMO, is heads n tails above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Carlton said:

 

The early production F11 525Ds are 6 cylinders too, they changed the 525d to a 4 cylinder in late 2011. Basically the same engine as the 530d, can be tuned to similar levels if desired. Might be worth a look if those are in range. F11 is a very different car than an E39 though, it feels twice the size and it's nothing alike to drive. Not that it's bad, it's just nothing like an E39. E60s are much closer to the E39.

 

 

 

 

Yes; I've seen a few F11 525Ds with the 6 pot engine; none available currently though for the budget I want to spend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2021 at 7:35 AM, AdamB said:

Earlier this week I sent my ABS module off to ECUTesting (due to intermittent heat-soak related issues)

 

Due to a massive f*ck-up by DHL, it only arrived there on Friday.
 

Hopefully, they’ll have it diagnosed and repaired either today or tomorrow.

 

I’ve not wanted to drive the car (or even turn the ignition on) whilst the module isn’t fitted.

 

Whilst I had the opportunity I thought I’d look into why my steering wheel airbag has always sat wonky. So much so the horn would only work when it was pressed in a specific direction. Someone suggested it probably just needed removing and re-seating.

 

I removed the airbag earlier in the week and checked everything, all seemed ok generally, but the spring clip bracket seemed to have issues… it seemed slightly bent, and one of the spring clips was very stiff/stuck. On refitting the airbag, the issue was still present.

 

I found another used bracket on eBay, that arrived speedily. After fitting this my airbag is now central with a decent gap all the way around it. (Maybe not perfect, but good enough for me for now.)

 

it appears, as I’ve read in a certain service bulletin that if the airbag has operated, you’re meant to change the entire steering wheel…

 

this is apparently because bmw never supplied the bracket separately!
 

so for anyone looking to fit the facelift wheel (as the PO had done with my car), this is something to be aware of as if you buy a wheel from a crash damaged car, the bracket might be bent.

No luck with my abs module.

 

ecutesting have had it and found no faults…

 

im a bit lost now, there’s definitely an issue somewhere, could it really be the pump module ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the guibo, centre support bearing, and transmission mounts replaced. No more vibration when I floor it in 1st and 2nd gear. The guibo wasn't bad, but the centre support bearing was absolutely shot! Came out in two pieces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sten said:

Technically yesterday, picked up my 530i Touring and enjoyed the drive home. The car is a real credit to @Andyrt200
he went above and beyond even post sale.

 

You've got a cracking Touring ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sten said:

Technically yesterday, picked up my 530i Touring and enjoyed the drive home. The car is a real credit to @Andyrt200
he went above and beyond even post sale.


Glad you enjoyed the drive, the new properly fitted windscreen seemed to make a big difference just on the A roads round here. Hopefully there wasn’t any wind noise on the motorway home for you? 

Do keep tagging me occasionally, I will still be on here but mostly over on the G30/G31 pages now so could miss your updates. I’ll be interested to see what you do to it. There’s always room for improvement, just look at @d_a_n1979s project page for his! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys ‘n’ gals,

 

Well life has a nasty way of kicking back at you, and it’s done so to me!

Ive done my back in rather badly, so my project aka The Beast won’t be getting the love it deserves now.

it’ll be going up for sale real soon, even with its faults now.

tSo thought I’d give you guys first dibs, since you’re all aficionados of the marque.

Its a 1998 540i touring with all the original docs from new.

Double glazing, uprated ‘M’ sport suspension. M sport seats, uprated brakes, overhauled gearbox, new fe yep pump, new power steering pump.

Summer & winter tyres in 2 sets of wheels, 

refurbished wiper arms too

Bad bits: reversing lights don’t work. It’s a gearbox switch. CD player doesn’t auto change all the time. Remote locking has just died although both keys work manually. Very occasionally it won’t start in park. It’s not the gearbox controller though, it’s been checked, and the dash is pixelated as usual.

Still, most if not all the 286 horses are still in the paddock, and the servicing is up to date as is the mot. Next March it’s due.

I just physically can’t get under the car now!

Any idea what I should ask for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got excited today: after a year long restoration/rebuild and nearly three years since I first decided to take it off the road, the M5 is taxed and tested and is looking, sounding and (I'm told) driving like new.  Just some final polishing, new shadowline trim and a few replacement stickers to be added in the bodyshop and she'll be done.  I've never been so pleased to pay my road fund licence before :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Left side SLS airbag replaced today, other side was done around Christmas last year. Easy enough, everything went to plan. While spare wheel was out, found battery end bracket partly slipped under compressor housing. I always thought I don't have it, never noticed it hiding there over 3 year ownership. So now battery has fixed with both brackets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New tyres this morning. Previously ContiSports all the way round, now Bridgestone Turanzas and my god the drop in road noise difference is night a day. Genuinely impressed.

 

But also annoyed, as now the droning on A roads is so much less, I can hear wind noise from windscreen which I previously couldn't. Oh well, stereo volume offset up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pzero said:

I can hear wind noise from windscreen which I previously couldn't. Oh well, stereo volume offset up!


With my old screen I put clear RTV silicone in the slight gap at the top where the screen had dropped it made a big difference. But the new properly fitted screen it really made a difference again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got round to fitting my Mstyle front bumper. 

All went smoothly. Was sent a bumper without headlight washers by mistake but I think I'll remove the washers as I prefer the cleaner look without. I'll also remove the intensive wash bottle as my pump is split and fit e60 washer. 

Also fitted my eBay special arch liners. They aren't great but better than what was left of the old ones 

I will fit my number plate but not with the holder 

20210924_160258.jpg

20210924_160304.jpg

20210924_173045.jpg

20210924_184214.jpg

20210924_184807.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just taken delivery of a pair of 9J style 66's, courtesy of  @e34m525i - thanks Darren - top man to deal with!

 

20210925_125529.thumb.jpg.a8b4ff7861c6ae247cc5276c7cb8f428.jpg

 

Will get them refurbed with fresh boots - I think they'll look good on the Touring now that it's been lowered.:D

 

Quick question - I use 15mm spacers with my 8Js. What thickness of spacer would I need to use with these to achieve the same stance on the rear?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hippy said:

Just taken delivery of a pair of 9J style 66's, courtesy of  @e34m525i - thanks Darren - top man to deal with!

 

20210925_125529.thumb.jpg.a8b4ff7861c6ae247cc5276c7cb8f428.jpg

 

Will get them refurbed with fresh boots - I think they'll look good on the Touring now that it's been lowered.:D

 

Quick question - I use 15mm spacers with my 8Js. What thickness of spacer would I need to use with these to achieve the same stance on the rear?

 

 

 

You should be OK with the 15s still, as long as its not too low. 

 

15s really the smallest you can go on the E39 due to the hub lip, but 5mm hubcentric shims work fine etc... 

 

Try the 15s first 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

You should be OK with the 15s still, as long as its not too low. 

 

15s really the smallest you can go on the E39 due to the hub lip, but 5mm hubcentric shims work fine etc... 

 

Try the 15s first 

 

Cheers Dan. Mine sits on the same Eibach springs up front  as your old Touring. I lowered the rear by 10mm as well . It's subtle rather than extreme, so hopefully the 15s will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gte86 said:

Finally got round to fitting my Mstyle front bumper. 

 

Looking good. Genuine or copy, may I ask?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copy. From Mstyle.   Not a bad fit. The pdc sensors don't fit in the trims tho so I had to improvise. Will there is also no where to join the brake ducts to the grill so will need to sort that at a later date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×