stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

New OEM BMW car mats fitted and also fitted new tailgate number plate light covers (seals as they're called) as the OEM ones were horrible...

Day off today so took a trip to the bodyshop to discuss some work that I'd like done.

The bottom edge of the top tailgate is scabby. Perfectly salvageable at the mo , but wanted to address this before it gets any worse. The guys are going to remove the glass so that nothing gets missed, which will give a sound frame to mount this to......

20210819_095424.thumb.jpg.95ad8e80f50d125d9e3f93868003e0c0.jpg

20210819_095414.thumb.jpg.c528c5c81685a609cd7d526d25bb1683.jpg

I've always fancied a tailgate spoiler .I'd given up on finding an OEM item a while ago and reviews on the Latvian copies aren't particularly complimentary regarding quality or fit.

About a year ago I came across a thread on bimmerforums . A guy in the US had used an OEM spoiler to take moulds and make replicas out of fibreglass. After initial teething problems his product looked to fit well, be of good quality and have many satisfied punters. I took the plunge and ordered one.  Delivery took several months due to Covid and it finally arrived at the beginning of the year.

Annoyingly , even though the box was extremely well packed, the spoiler was damaged. A dent in the box suggested some mindless pillock had completely ignored the "fragile" sticker.:-x

20210819_095322.thumb.jpg.be128d7d6e60d31297ae4d23689324bc.jpg

The seller was great and offered to replace it, whilst also raising a claim with the courier as the package was fully insured. 

I decided to keep the damaged item however . It is not as bad as it looks, having split along the join of the 2 moulded sections and the bodyshop will outsource the repair to a boat builder to effect a fibreglass repair before they work their magic.

They are very busy though - the car is booked in for mid October. Great for them but it means I need to be patient ! Not a strong point according to the missus:o

Still , "all good things..." as the saying goes.;)

Edited by Hippy

6 hours ago, Hippy said:

Day off today so took a trip to the bodyshop to discuss some work that I'd like done.

The bottom edge of the top tailgate is scabby. Perfectly salvageable at the mo , but wanted to address this before it gets any worse. The guys are going to remove the glass so that nothing gets missed, which will give a sound frame to mount this to......

20210819_095424.thumb.jpg.95ad8e80f50d125d9e3f93868003e0c0.jpg

20210819_095414.thumb.jpg.c528c5c81685a609cd7d526d25bb1683.jpg

I've always fancied a tailgate spoiler .I'd given up on finding an OEM item a while ago and reviews on the Latvian copies aren't particularly complimentary regarding quality or fit.

About a year ago I came across a thread on bimmerforums . A guy in the US had used an OEM spoiler to take moulds and make replicas out of fibreglass. After initial teething problems his product looked to fit well, be of good quality and have many satisfied punters. I took the plunge and ordered one.  Delivery took several months due to Covid and it finally arrived at the beginning of the year.

Annoyingly , even though the box was extremely well packed, the spoiler was damaged. A dent in the box suggested some mindless pillock had completely ignored the "fragile" sticker.:-x

20210819_095322.thumb.jpg.be128d7d6e60d31297ae4d23689324bc.jpg

The seller was great and offered to replace it, whilst also raising a claim with the courier as the package was fully insured. 

I decided to keep the damaged item however . It is not as bad as it looks, having split along the join of the 2 moulded sections and the bodyshop will outsource the repair to a boat builder to effect a fibreglass repair before they work their magic.

They are very busy though - the car is booked in for mid October. Great for them but it means I need to be patient ! Not a strong point according to the missus:o

Still , "all good things..." as the saying goes.;)

Taking rear glass out is definitely the only way how to fight rust completely. Everything else is just short term band aid. 

All I'm wondering is how glass is attached to boot lid frame, is it bonded like windscreen or anything else, because to me it looks like there's some kind of gasket/seal in-between glass and frame, not bonding mastic.

Oil and filter change - I went to National at Brislington, Bristol:  nice people who do it mess-free for little more than the cost of the Mann Filter and Valvoline 5/30 LL04-approved fully synthetic. They also let me spend the time wandering around underneath taking photos and a really close look at all the bits I can't reach on-street in central Bath.... all hoses full length - fuel and brake; sills and jacking points for corrosion (none! - must get some Bilt Hamber in/on there soon to preserve this state of affairs); the exhaust, the driveshaft guibo, all the potential drivetrain/gearbox/diff seals for evidence of leaks (none found!), wiring and connectors etc. It's really very clean.

V glad to find 'alles in ordnung.' Now to keep it that way; might order a set or drop links, the boots on left front were looking a bit ropey.

I'll drop in the new set of plugs and air filters this weekend, then reset service reminder with INPA. Good to go.

ETA: one more thing - the oil consumption of this thing is shocking after running an Alpina B10 3.3 manual; I'm just over 25K miles into this 535 in which time between changes I've added 2.2 litres (last checked 500 miles , none required) Of course I mean 'shocking' in a good way...

Tried AutoGlym Polar Blast snow foam for the first time today, and I have to say it is the best "Foam" I have used so far. Really good coverage and leaves the car gleaming. Pictures for attention and I have not put any polish or treatment on the c ar at this stage. Also tried there leather cleaner on the front seats, came up pretty good I think.

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

2 hours ago, jimboe39 said:

Tried AutoGlym Polar Blast snow foam for the first time today, and I have to say it is the best "Foam" I have used so far. Really good coverage and leaves the car gleaming. Pictures for attention and I have not put any polish or treatment on the c ar at this stage. Also tried there leather cleaner on the front seats, came up pretty good I think.

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

Thats come up superbly 

Did you wash it with Polar Blast or did you use another shampoo? 

It's a superb snowfoam, I'm using Bilt Hamber currently and I know folk rave about it, but it's not that good IMO 

I'll be going back to Polar Blast once its run out 

Washed with the polar blast Dan. No other shampoo. Will be using this stuff again. Cheers buddy.

40 minutes ago, jimboe39 said:

Washed with the polar blast Dan. No other shampoo. Will be using this stuff again. Cheers buddy.

No worries; it's decent stuff

But I'd still recommend using a dedicated car shampoo after you've snow foamed

The idea behind the snowfoam is for that to dwell and lift/loosen grime, which you then rinse off fully and then wash again; to stave off doing damage to the paintwork (micro-scratches etc)

I do a contactless wash with snowfoam over winter and simply rinse and then towel dry the windows; but over spring/summer/autumn it's a full wash after the snowfoam

I have been using AGs Ultimate Shampoo and it's been superb: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Ultra-High-Definition-Shampoo/dp/B071JNV85S/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Autoglym+Ultra+High+Definition+Shampoo&qid=1630161377&s=automotive&sr=1-4

I've nearly run out & wanted to try something different; so have gone with Autobrite this time around:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autobrite-Direct-Banana-Gloss-Shampoo/dp/B06XRPZGCT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=autobrite+car+shampoo&qid=1630161411&s=automotive&sr=1-4

Will report back on that when I've had chance to use it

One other product I've been really impressed with is AGs Polar Seal:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-945107165-Polar-Seal-1LT/dp/B07N4B5XFL/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=polar+seal&qid=1630161446&s=automotive&sr=1-4

Once you've washed & rinsed the car; you apply this via the snowfoam cannon and then rinse off then towel dry; it lasts really well (better than Aquawax) and the paintwork beads superbly. Would highly recommend it 

Got to use the factory jack for the first time, actually it was the first time I’ve ever had the pleasure of changing a wheel at the side of the road, nice day, nice lay-by what’s not like?!

JHcSFU4.jpg

Not sure my daughter agreed!

890TVOf.jpg

Sweets always help with kids!

pNbMzzv.jpg

The grown ups will need a few sweets to get over the destroyed tyre that’s done less than 1000 miles. Hopefully the alloy is ok, looked ok on a quick roadside check. 

Its amazing how well the car drove with a tyre in that state, I only pulled over to check as it felt a bit odd! 

No idea what caused it to go down either didn’t notice it hitting any potholes or anything & couldn’t see any screws in the tyre. The pressure was perfect a few days ago & they have never lost any pressure in years. 

Trouble with 19s is they hardly look flat from the outside but a little negative camber & the inside is just melted rubber, as I found when putting my hand round the back to check if it would maybe just pump back up…

Just glad we weren’t in one of our other BMs they don’t have spare wheels :(

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

Got to use the factory jack for the first time, actually it was the first time I’ve ever had the pleasure of changing a wheel at the side of the road, nice day, nice lay-by what’s not like?!

JHcSFU4.jpg

Not sure my daughter agreed!

890TVOf.jpg

Sweets always help with kids!

pNbMzzv.jpg

The grown ups will need a few sweets to get over the destroyed tyre that’s done less than 1000 miles. Hopefully the alloy is ok, looked ok on a quick roadside check. 

Its amazing how well the car drove with a tyre in that state, I only pulled over to check as it felt a bit odd! 

No idea what caused it to go down either didn’t notice it hitting any potholes or anything & couldn’t see any screws in the tyre. The pressure was perfect a few days ago & they have never lost any pressure in years. 

Trouble with 19s is they hardly look flat from the outside but a little negative camber & the inside is just melted rubber, as I found when putting my hand round the back to check if it would maybe just pump back up…

Just glad we weren’t in one of our other BMs they don’t have spare wheels :(

Bloody hell Andy

Hope all is OK pal! 

12 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Bloody hell Andy

Hope all is OK pal! 

As long a the alloy is ok it will be fine, just watch out for the dodgy Anglesey roads ;)

I’ve had sudden punctures before but had always known what caused it, was a case of hitting the crap on the road or the cars on either side of me. Think this must have be something smaller that came out & let it go down slowly. 

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

As long a the alloy is ok it will be fine, just watch out for the dodgy Anglesey roads ;)

I’ve had sudden punctures before but had always known what caused it, was a case of hitting the crap on the road or the cars on either side of me. Think this must have be something smaller that came out & let it go down slowly. 

Haha; well glad you're ok pal.

We're going in the Racing Jazz; it never gets run, so it's time to do that and give it a solid run etc :) 

Plus it does 45MPG :lol: 

5 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

We're going in the Racing Jazz; it never gets run, so it's time to do that and give it a solid run etc :) 

Damn. I wish the Beast did that!

13.7 MPG around town, and that’s with a light foot!

5 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Be careful doing that you may get used to 45mpg & never come back to big petrol engines! 

I just looked at the rim again, it is cracked :( you can actually see the crack at about 2 o’clock on the picture of the inside of the rim. 

Think thats what let the air out. Kids & or my better half were in the back the whole time & non of us felt any big bumps or pot holes. The roads here on Anglesey are actually quite good compared to some Scottish ones. No idea what caused the crack. Those wheels have done well over 30k miles on the E39 & were still in excellent condition :rolleyes:

Just glad it was the E39 with the real spare wheel in the boot, non of the newer BMs have any spare at all, a cracked rim would really ruin your holiday without a spare. My friend has a company G30 with 20”s he’s cracked two rims so far, the hassle he has had each time is crazy. 

With few hours of head scratching, thinking, even reinstalling windows and hoping for wonders to happen, I finally managed to get INPA running on new laptop, since old one gave up after 10 years, so again E39 is having diagnostic ability if something happens. Thanks to @jimmyfor sending USB driver to get my old cable running again. 

Great use of car forums. Happy Friday:rolleyes:

Edited by Ray112

Managed that trick of changing this head light adjuster without cutting or taking it apart.

S3AeTSd.jpg

Fiddly is an understatement! Didn’t help that I spent 15mins trying to get the new adjuster back in the wrong way up!

Then I remembered the pictures I took when doing the older style ones that will come apart: 

7ro7Dxw.jpg

I got a bit too exited that the bits came out relatively easily I forgot to make a mental not how they fitted!

I had previously changed all the adjusters but then swapped out the whole head light to a later one…

Earlier this week I sent my ABS module off to ECUTesting (due to intermittent heat-soak related issues)

Due to a massive f*ck-up by DHL, it only arrived there on Friday.

Hopefully, they’ll have it diagnosed and repaired either today or tomorrow.

I’ve not wanted to drive the car (or even turn the ignition on) whilst the module isn’t fitted.

Whilst I had the opportunity I thought I’d look into why my steering wheel airbag has always sat wonky. So much so the horn would only work when it was pressed in a specific direction. Someone suggested it probably just needed removing and re-seating.

I removed the airbag earlier in the week and checked everything, all seemed ok generally, but the spring clip bracket seemed to have issues… it seemed slightly bent, and one of the spring clips was very stiff/stuck. On refitting the airbag, the issue was still present.

I found another used bracket on eBay, that arrived speedily. After fitting this my airbag is now central with a decent gap all the way around it. (Maybe not perfect, but good enough for me for now.)

it appears, as I’ve read in a certain service bulletin that if the airbag has operated, you’re meant to change the entire steering wheel…

this is apparently because bmw never supplied the bracket separately!

so for anyone looking to fit the facelift wheel (as the PO had done with my car), this is something to be aware of as if you buy a wheel from a crash damaged car, the bracket might be bent.

1 hour ago, AdamB said:

Earlier this week I sent my ABS module off to ECUTesting (due to intermittent heat-soak related issues)

Due to a massive f*ck-up by DHL, it only arrived there on Friday.

Hopefully, they’ll have it diagnosed and repaired either today or tomorrow.

I’ve not wanted to drive the car (or even turn the ignition on) whilst the module isn’t fitted.

Whilst I had the opportunity I thought I’d look into why my steering wheel airbag has always sat wonky. So much so the horn would only work when it was pressed in a specific direction. Someone suggested it probably just needed removing and re-seating.

I removed the airbag earlier in the week and checked everything, all seemed ok generally, but the spring clip bracket seemed to have issues… it seemed slightly bent, and one of the spring clips was very stiff/stuck. On refitting the airbag, the issue was still present.

I found another used bracket on eBay, that arrived speedily. After fitting this my airbag is now central with a decent gap all the way around it. (Maybe not perfect, but good enough for me for now.)

it appears, as I’ve read in a certain service bulletin that if the airbag has operated, you’re meant to change the entire steering wheel…

this is apparently because bmw never supplied the bracket separately!

so for anyone looking to fit the facelift wheel (as the PO had done with my car), this is something to be aware of as if you buy a wheel from a crash damaged car, the bracket might be bent.

Good choice re. ECU testing in my view.  I had the same problem with the DSC module a month or so ago and looked into this a lot and these people came up as the best i could find.  Lots of bad stories about some if the others.  In my case the module had already been repaired before so i decided to fit a new one in the end.

1 hour ago, Dbcrd said:

Good choice re. ECU testing in my view.  I had the same problem with the DSC module a month or so ago and looked into this a lot and these people came up as the best i could find.  Lots of bad stories about some if the others.  In my case the module had already been repaired before so i decided to fit a new one in the end.

That can’t have been cheap!?

6 hours ago, AdamB said:

That can’t have been cheap!?

I was lucky.  New old stock from an ebay seller.  Bit of a risk, i guess.  Anyway as far as i could tell the real deal.  Never used and in its original box.  Same part number as my old one.  £449.  I had to code it and reset the steering angle.  Not as hard as i thought and i practiced on the aircon panel i had replaced that needed coding as it was throwing an alarm having come from a diesel.

Still working fine after 3 weeks so hoping for the best.