stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

41 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Two years ago I sprayed sills and every other hollow areas with cavity vax about week before MOT. At the first moment garage thought I had a fuel leak, because fuel tank is right next to rear end of sills. After explaining what's actually happening and it's not leaking diesel, old man at garage had a good laugh and even said few compliments about taking care of car and protecting from rust. 

But for future lesson learned - not to spray cavity wax few days before going to MOT testing.:D

Deffo won't be doing that. 

But because I'm slightly thick when it's hot... :lol: I forgot that our drive slopes downwards slightly, so as I'm spraying the Lanoguard into the sills, of course it's starting to run out the back end :roll::lol:

Holes taped up for now, should dry off in time for the new jack pads to be fitted

Hi my learned fellow owners.

I have had the issue of stretched bonnet cables, and in the obvious fight to get the bugger open, I’ve knackered my kidney grilles. 

I seem to remember that someone on here advised about which one to get and those to avoid.

The beast has been de-chromed from new, so an all black pair are necessary.

This despite there being rather dodgy chrome edge ones there before.

Please advise. Any and all info gratefully received.

Robert

On 7/2/2021 at 9:25 PM, Ray112 said:

I believe all tourings have the same bracket, so should fit.

Thanks job done. So far the easiest one here using bmw tools :) the top clamp however has space allowing battery to jump. Also have this side part left not sure how it can fit.

FCC74BB0-91CD-4BA6-A02A-EEAA67528379.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Thanks job done. So far the easiest one here using bmw tools :) the top clamp however has space allowing battery to jump. Also have this side part left not sure how it can fit.

Not sure, but that small part might be at the back of battery, attached to the floor. I don't have that fitted, but it looks like there is thread in boot pocket floor. If battery is still moving, you can put some cardboard or anything else in-between bracket to stop it moving. 

54 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

That piece next to the screwdriver should be pinning the battery down at the bottom of the rod that's at the end of the battery, by the neg cable

Undo that rod; slot it into the triangular metal bracket; that clamps onto the battery (should be a little 'foot' per se) and then screw that rod back into the hole at the end and that should be the battery clamped down.

Under the brass coloured bracket; I've a piece of dense foam glued to mine (from factory); if yours is missing; replicate with a piece of styrofoam or polystyrene etc

Take a look at this picture:

Screenshot_20210710-133926_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4a227f30175012ecd10cc37f471317a3.jpg

That small grey part is at the bottom of #15, it should be held there with a circlip or a small o ring. It clamps down the battery so it won't move. The top bar is an additional precaution. 

This was taken from realoem.com , enter your chassis no and you will get to see all the parts for your car.

7 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Under the brass coloured bracket; I've a piece of dense foam glued to mine (from factory); if yours is missing; replicate with a piece of styrofoam or polystyrene etc

Or a dish sponge... :D

Coolant… I tried to search the forum but either my search skills are that bad or can’t find anything about the brand. Mechanic wants to pour in Bluecol oe48. 

On ebay BMW concentrate 1L=£10, Comma G48 5L=£25.

Does it matter for 23 year old now?

Not sure How much 540i takes 10 Or 12 liters?

1 minute ago, Ray112 said:

Comma g48 is popular alternative to OEM coolant, correct specification, and not causing any problems. I'm using it for last 60+k miles.

Fine then. Decided to give expansion tank change to a mechanic, who can source it. I tried finding a tank with the red rod / level sensor but none have them, bizzare. I want the check coolant light to go away…

4 hours ago, Johan said:

Swapped out the reflector units in my facelift headlights.

reflector.jpg

I got the rebuild ones from a German company https://www.reflektorklinik.de/

Them old ones look shocking. And people keep changing bulbs and complain about poor light. What kind of light can be expected from reflectors like these. You will enjoy night driving now. Feels amazing when road is fully illuminated again.

2 hours ago, starbuck88 said:

Is that reflector from behind the glass xenon lens?

Yes that's the one behind xenon lens. Mines were nowhere near this bad, but light was very poor and with dark spots on the road. I can't imagine how bad these were on night driving.

29 minutes ago, AdamB said:

Took the touring fishing, found a friend…

I want their roof-box!

2967475F-DC33-4862-90E4-0CD5770135FA.png

939F2399-A130-4DE4-8BEA-38AE16AFC014.jpeg

404BD31B-C063-45A6-9189-AEED658DF59A.png

From the front touring looks much much better :)

I’ve put some fresh castrol juices and bosh fuel filter in

40 minutes ago, AdamB said:

Took the touring fishing, found a friend…

I want their roof-box!

2967475F-DC33-4862-90E4-0CD5770135FA.png

939F2399-A130-4DE4-8BEA-38AE16AFC014.jpeg

404BD31B-C063-45A6-9189-AEED658DF59A.png

You don't need the roof box, you have a Touring.  B)

20 minutes ago, RichardP said:

You don't need the roof box, you have a Touring.  B)

One of these is on my shopping list .. !

E39_Touring_Roof_Box.jpg?width=1920&heig

Sometimes extra space is needed!

Cheers, Dennis!

On 15/07/2021 at 13:10, Johan said:

Swapped out the reflector units in my facelift headlights.

reflector.jpg

I got the rebuild ones from a German company https://www.reflektorklinik.de/

How much were the re done reflectors mate? I get asked when I do light build if I could re do the oem ones but usually put a set of evo xr 2.0 in as I’ve never been able to find the oem ones and there not cheap to have re chromed!

On 16/07/2021 at 20:33, Ray112 said:

I can't imagine how bad these were on night driving.

Worse then stock e34 halogens. And they already have a bad reputation.

6 hours ago, e34m525i said:

How much were the re done reflectors mate? I get asked when I do light build if I could re do the oem ones but usually put a set of evo xr 2.0 in as I’ve never been able to find the oem ones and there not cheap to have re chromed!

120 euro but with a 100 core charge on my worn lenses.

I dont think the evo xr have the lhd rhd setting. Which makes life difucult when we go the UK. 

310 motorway miles in 30-31degC heat, so air con definitely working all the time, and cruise set at a steady 70 +10%+2mumble all the way.

Out of curiosity I had my ODB2 dongle plugged in most of the time, watching data on 'dashcommand' on iOs. I've set up a few gauges that show live data, and with high/low/long-term avg 'tell-tales' for all sorts of things  (from fuel trims via instantaneous hp/torque to charging voltage , coolant temperature, lambda on all four sensors & sim. It's a great value bit of software)

Anyway - cooling system never went above 105degC, and averaged103-104 on the motorway  - it's a V8 cooling system - so the Meyle rad I fitted a year ago & cooling system flush & check is doing its job just fine - as is the 'stat, right on it setpoint. : )

Edited by Huff