stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

The absolute prefect day for car washing at last. Warm enough, dry and complete cloud cover so I can take my time with waxing!

20210702_121701.jpg

5 hours ago, Johan said:

My turn to sort out the tin worms who took up residence in the sills:

IMG-20210701-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210701-WA0011.jpg

Good job. How much did it cost? Is this underneath the battery?

37 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Never seen a jacking point beneath the battery before! :wacko:

It is indeed bellow the jacking point. This one is curb side as mine is a LHD.

A friend of mine is doing the work. Can't really say anything about the price as its "special plice for my fliend" :D Also some additional rust removal and paint work will also be carried out. But put it this way everything together would buy me another complete e39, but I like this one as its been with me for over 14 years.

I'll pass the compliments on!

1 hour ago, Adrian1662 said:

No; it's the rear of the sill. The battery is further back and higher up :) 

1 hour ago, Pzero said:

The absolute prefect day for car washing at last. Warm enough, dry and complete cloud cover so I can take my time with waxing!

20210702_121701.jpg

Look great too. Really must have a go at mine!

Bonnet cable sorted though. Nothing broken, but I’ll order new cables anyway.

Wiper arms removed & resprayed now too!

QQ to all the touring owners. Whilst changing the battery I noticed some familiar ginger metal colour. It’s been rusting directly below battery but not from the battery I think that sits on an extra plate of metal. Below the extra metal plate there is a round small see through hole you can admire the tarmac from. Do you also have that hole and rust? Not sure if hole should let fluid out of the car on purpose?

50338552-7C80-4E7A-867D-EAE64894F2C9.jpeg

EE1A0A18-A141-467F-A7C0-6C2DD19AC6ED.jpeg

5ED85418-BE38-4EBA-8C76-F7B0540F07B3.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

QQ to all the touring owners. Whilst changing the battery I noticed some familiar ginger metal colour. It’s been rusting directly below battery but not from the battery I think that sits on an extra plate of metal. Below the extra metal plate there is a round small see through hole you can admire the tarmac from. Do you also have that hole and rust? Not sure if hole should let fluid out of the car on purpose?

Absolutely no rust in mine at all

But there is a vent in that area that you can access with the rear bumper off; the light seals can also fail and let water in

I'd say you've got water ingress somewhere and it's started that off

You'll want to treat that ASAP and get it nipped in the bud, hopefully it's just surface corrosion

I'd recommend a wire wheel/wire brush and this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bilt-Hamber-Hydrate-80-500ml/dp/B00672US20/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3HPB294XUOKKY&dchild=1&keywords=bilt+hamber+rust+converter&qid=1625237426&sprefix=bilt+hamber+rust%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-1

The primer and spray it :) 

2 hours ago, Adrian1662 said:

Mine is rust free in this area. I would say either battery been leaking acid at some time, or water getting in that pocket. By the way, make sure you have battery fixing bracket and that it's holding battery in place. If battery can slide forward/backward in that boot pocket, it will rub off paint and bare metal will rust. 

17 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Mine is rust free in this area. I would say either battery been leaking acid at some time, or water getting in that pocket. By the way, make sure you have battery fixing bracket and that it's holding battery in place. If battery can slide forward/backward in that boot pocket, it will rub off paint and bare metal will rust. 

What bracket? I bought it battery was loose… nowhere to screw it

18 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Absolutely no rust in mine at all

But there is a vent in that area that you can access with the rear bumper off; the light seals can also fail and let water in

I'd say you've got water ingress somewhere and it's started that off

You'll want to treat that ASAP and get it nipped in the bud, hopefully it's just surface corrosion

I'd recommend a wire wheel/wire brush and this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bilt-Hamber-Hydrate-80-500ml/dp/B00672US20/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3HPB294XUOKKY&dchild=1&keywords=bilt+hamber+rust+converter&qid=1625237426&sprefix=bilt+hamber+rust%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-1

The primer and spray it :) 

Thanks got a similar rust remover and metal brush.

but what about the hole underneath the chassis do you also have it?

18 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

What bracket? I bought it battery was loose… nowhere to screw it

As per: pic05.jpg

there’s a bracket that goes over the top and a clamp that holds the battery in place (green arrow)

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

As per: pic05.jpg

there’s a bracket that goes over the top and a clamp that holds the battery in place (green arrow)

That's the one, I already wanted to go out and make a picture, but Dan was faster.

Sometimes it might need some pakers to put in-between battery and bracket to keep it tight. All depends on battery dimensions I believe.

24 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

That's the one, I already wanted to go out and make a picture, but Dan was faster.

Sometimes it might need some pakers to put in-between battery and bracket to keep it tight. All depends on battery dimensions I believe.

Thanks much appreciated. Where can I get the clamp from?

found a bracket, would it fit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-Battery-Clamp-Bracket-Estate-with-Bolt-and-Nut-530d-Touring-/304031275451?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

6 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

I believe all tourings have the same bracket, so should fit.

@Andyrt200 Regarding that leather re-colouring you carried out recently, I can't resist. Looking at the site now, I see that the 'large' size is meant to be right for a full set of car seats, can you confirm?

Cheers in advance :)

On 03/07/2021 at 07:53, Pzero said:

@Andyrt200 Regarding that leather re-colouring you carried out recently, I can't resist. Looking at the site now, I see that the 'large' size is meant to be right for a full set of car seats, can you confirm?

Cheers in advance :)

Good to hear!

I had bits left from the last time I did a different car so just got the black colour its self, that came in a 250ml bottle & there is loads left. Unless your actually wanting to do a complete colour change you don’t really need that much for just repairing the scuffs. 

Started the underseal application

I've gone with Lanoguard: https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/collections/moto 

So front wheel arch liners out; all areas scrubbed with ACP and a detailing brush; rinsed; dried with an electric fan heater & then Lanoguard applied:

underseal1.jpg

underseal2.jpg

underseal3.jpg

underseal4.jpg

underseal5.jpg

underseal6.jpg

underseal7.jpg

underseal8.jpg

underseal9.jpg

Will get on with the rears as soon as I can, as well as doing the sills and I'll see what I can protect on the tailgate area too :) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

6 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Started the underseal application

I've gone with Lanoguard: https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/collections/moto 

So front wheel arch liners out; all areas scrubbed with ACP and a detailing brush; rinsed; dried with an electric fan heater & then Lanoguard applied:

underseal1.jpg

underseal2.jpg

underseal3.jpg

underseal4.jpg

underseal5.jpg

underseal6.jpg

underseal7.jpg

underseal8.jpg

underseal9.jpg

Will get on with the rears as soon as I can, as well as doing the sills and I'll see what I can protect on the tailgate area too :) 

That looking good. Definitely well worth doing to protect body from salt used on roads. Are you planning to use some cavity wax to protect inside of sills and similar hallowed areas?

21 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

That looking good. Definitely well worth doing to protect body from salt used on roads. Are you planning to use some cavity wax to protect inside of sills and similar hallowed areas?

As per the bottom sentence; I'll be doing the insides of the sills when I've got time ;) 

The Lanoguard kit comes with a long reach nozzle, to get into those areas etc

So rear arches first, then I'll do the sills :) 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

As per the bottom sentence; I'll be doing the insides of the sills when I've got time ;) 

The Lanoguard kit comes with a long reach nozzle, to get into those areas etc

So rear arches first, then I'll do the sills :) 

Must have missed that part of text when read first time, been a long day :D

Jack pads removed (all 4 snapped on the tabs that slot it into place, so 4 new ones ordered from BMW) :roll: 

⁠Sills thoroughly sealed; I've sprayed the Lanoguard in everywhere I can reach with the long nozzle until it started to flow out.

⁠Jack point holes taped over, for now; should give it time to dry off as much as it does before the new pads land with me :) 

31 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Jack pads removed (all 4 snapped on the tabs that slot it into place, so 4 new ones ordered from BMW) :roll: 

⁠Sills thoroughly sealed; I've sprayed the Lanoguard in everywhere I can reach with the long nozzle until it started to flow out.

⁠Jack point holes taped over, for now; should give it time to dry off as much as it does before the new pads land with me :) 

When rebuilding the rear areas on mine, I've not reinstated the jacking pads yet. I'm in 2 minds tbh. I have a small hydraulic jack in the boot with a rubber pad on it incase of a flat. I have zinc primered and dynaxed the interior of the sills and done zinc primer with POR15 for the exterior. 

I plan to keep the car long term so I know without jacking pads it's not OEM.

59 minutes ago, starbuck88 said:

When rebuilding the rear areas on mine, I've not reinstated the jacking pads yet. I'm in 2 minds tbh. I have a small hydraulic jack in the boot with a rubber pad on it incase of a flat. I have zinc primered and dynaxed the interior of the sills and done zinc primer with POR15 for the exterior. 

I plan to keep the car long term so I know without jacking pads it's not OEM.

I'll be replacing them, they've just cost me £60 :lol: 

But the areas are spotless with no corrosion; just a bit of paint scuffing etc

8 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Two years ago I sprayed sills and every other hollow areas with cavity vax about week before MOT. At the first moment garage thought I had a fuel leak, because fuel tank is right next to rear end of sills. After explaining what's actually happening and it's not leaking diesel, old man at garage had a good laugh and even said few compliments about taking care of car and protecting from rust. 

But for future lesson learned - not to spray cavity wax few days before going to MOT testing.:D