stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

2 minutes ago, Gte86 said:

Airbox out, power steering tank, remove idler pulley, electrics, alternator bolts, remove alternator, adjustable bushing, tensioner

Oh yeah, now I remember why I keep putting it off... 

18 minutes ago, Gte86 said:

Yes. Airbox out. Power steering tank moved. Remove idler pulley and top alternator bolt.

I just removed the Power lead to alternator and capped it off with bung to save resetting all electrics. Then lower alternator bolt and remove alternator. While it's out try to pull the adjustable bushing back the other way so it goes back on easier, oh and remove the compacted leaves from the Cooling duct.

I left the tensioner attached and just moved the whole unit forward. Lots of brake cleaner to get rid of the old oil. Grease on the new gasket and it's ready to go back together. 

I have reoccurring nightmares about the alternator bolts...   :shock:

14 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Oh yeah, now I remember why I keep putting it off... 

I'll do a simpler version. 

Undo 5 connectors 

1 Union

Undo 10 bolts

Old out new in

No leaky 

:)

2 minutes ago, CG172 said:

I have reoccurring nightmares about the alternator bolts...   :shock:

How come? 

Just now, Gte86 said:

How come? 

Several attempts to line them up, each failure meant I’d gone too far, and had to remove the alternator and start again.

I’d be the first to admit that my technique was probably questionable...

If you use the lower bolt and a long socket and washer you can pull the bushing backwards a few mm so you don't have to fight to get it in. 

32 minutes ago, Gte86 said:

If you use the lower bolt and a long socket and washer you can pull the bushing backwards a few mm so you don't have to fight to get it in. 

Ah. That would have made the job significantly easier...   :wacko:

Edited by CG172

1 hour ago, Gte86 said:

I'll do a simpler version. 

Undo 5 connectors 

1 Union

Undo 10 bolts

Old out new in

No leaky 

:)

It's not the number of things which need to be 'disturbed', it's the nature of them. In two years of owning this car, I've not had a single 'routine' job complete without something else breaking (thanks to BMW plastics, more often than not). As much as I love this car, I'm pretty convinced that it broke into some Egyptian Pharoes tomb at somepoint and was punished with a terrible curse. Belts and alternator are also particular omens for me, having had issues with both on my old E34 years ago, issues which were admittedly aggravated by me trying to resolve them.

Replacing the gasket itself concerns me not, getting to it in the first place is why I need to find a nice long time slot to do so, which what with work and kids is few and far between. Ironic, all I ever wanted was a house with a drive, garage, and ample space to do my wrenching. Now I've got them and never have the time to use them. 

I do it day in day out so finding time to do my own car and having motivation after a long day is a rarity. 

Good news is you don't need to remove the radiator cowling to access the alternator bolts. Mine snapped when I did my thermostat and water pump so I need to find a replacement. Only thing is all 2nd hand ones will be just as old :roll:

Edited by Gte86

Heh, ironically I'd rather have to remove the whole cooling system than mess about with belts and alternator, done cooling replacements on every E39 I've ever had!

I'm just praying the oil around the bellhousing has worked its way back and I don't need to do the rear main. My exhaust bolts and flanges are only just holding on so I don't want to even be near them until I can get a stainless upgrade 

5 hours ago, Pzero said:

Heh, ironically I'd rather have to remove the whole cooling system than mess about with belts and alternator, done cooling replacements on every E39 I've ever had!

What cooling elements did you replace in each of them?

QQ how often / miles do you change oil? Thought of doing it every two years with tiny mileage I do a year… <5k

2 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

What cooling elements did you replace in each of them?

Had three E39's so far, most had hoses, sensors, stat and stat housings done, two also had radiator replacement and one needed water pump done after it failed. My current one I had to strip out the rad etc to replace the transmission oil cooler last year as well. Oh yeah, and one of the older ones needed a new fan clutch too (or that might have been my last E34, can't remember!)

Every car i've ever owned since I got a license has had cooling issues at one point (often more than once for my old Fords), so always the area I've been most paranoid / proactive about!

I've had my 525i se for four years now and on the whole it's been pretty reliable.

Gasket cover leak being only issue so far,but car only has 55 thousand miles on clock so is hardly run in.lol.

Steering knuckles, track rod ends, upper control arm on driver's side replaced ( other side was done couple months ago), new front tyres over the weekend. And old girl at 242k miles is running absolutely quiet again, giving nice road feel. Definitely drives like different car now. So front end feels ready for MOT next month. Handbrake left to replace at some point before test, thought it's still holding car, I remember it being better some time ago.

23 hours ago, Pzero said:

Had three E39's so far, most had hoses, sensors, stat and stat housings done, two also had radiator replacement and one needed water pump done after it failed. My current one I had to strip out the rad etc to replace the transmission oil cooler last year as well. Oh yeah, and one of the older ones needed a new fan clutch too (or that might have been my last E34, can't remember!)

Every car i've ever owned since I got a license has had cooling issues at one point (often more than once for my old Fords), so always the area I've been most paranoid / proactive about!

Never had a cooling problem with any car I owned… :) wired 

Refreshed / upgraded the rear suspension a few years ago and had always planned to do the same to the front soon afterwards.

It's taken me 2 years or so and a few curve balls to finally get all the parts together!

Parts include Bilstein B6's, Eibach shorter springs, top mounts, wishbones, drop links and powerflex bushes for the wishbones and ARB.

20210630_174853.thumb.jpg.d4c36c8816a61b6b25eb6e99befdad33.jpg

Really looking forward to getting this done !:D

On 27/06/2021 at 19:09, Wagbo said:

I've had my 525i se for four years now and on the whole it's been pretty reliable.

Gasket cover leak being only issue so far,but car only has 55 thousand miles on clock so is hardly run in.lol.

My 540i touring, (1998 aka the beast),  is still going strong after 185k, and I’m looking forward to doing the suspension bushes next after it’s successful mot in March but!

On checking the oil I noted that it could do with topping up, so off to get the right grade I approached the beast clutching a litre.

Went to pop the lids, and………nothing!!!!

Got the grills off (I’ll replace them in due course), and the offside popped too.

Do you think I can get the screws side open? Not a chance. The stealers advised ‘perseverance, it’s what we’d have to do’. No help there then!

Any of you learned people know of a ‘knack’ to pop the bugger open?

R

Edited by eleanorsskipper

15 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

My 540i touring, (1998 aka the beast),  is still going strong after 185k, and I’m looking forward to doing the suspension bushes next after it’s successful mot in March but!

On checking the oil I noted that it could do with topping up, so off to get the right grade I approached the beast clutching a litre.

Got the grills off (I’ll replace them in due course), and the offside popped too.

Do you think I can get the screws side open? Not a chance. The stealers advised ‘perseverance, it’s what we’d have to do’. No help there then!

R

'lids'? 'screws side'? 'offside popped too'?

Maybe I'm just getting old but I'm struggling to understand exactly what you are describing and therefore how to offer any help.

Good luck.

18 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

R

I presume you mean the bonnet won’t open?

have you had someone hold the release handle up (or wedge it up) whilst you wiggle the bonnet?

this worked for me when one side was catching.

4 hours ago, Johan said:

My turn to sort out the tin worms who took up residence in the sills:

IMG-20210701-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210701-WA0011.jpg

Nice to see a decent looking repair, I’ve seen a lot on Facebook recently that are terrible!

44 minutes ago, AdamB said:

Nice to see a decent looking repair, I’ve seen a lot on Facebook recently that are terrible!

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has thought that.  I appreciate that some people are just doing a patch up job rather than trying to eradicate the rot but from what I've seen it's going to become increasingly important for anyone buying an E39 that is said to have had the "sills done" to look at and find out how it has been done.

Just now, JonJon said:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has thought that.  I appreciate that some people are just doing a patch up job rather than trying to eradicate the rot but from what I've seen it's going to become increasingly important for anyone buying an E39 that is said to have had the "sills done" to look at and find out how it has been done.

Think they used mine as a reference… lol!