stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Quick question - are saloon and touring handbrake shoes and fitting kit the same on touring and saloon? I know that back plates are different, and actual brake shoes sit different position on tourings compared to saloons but are actual parts the same on both?

1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

Quick question - are saloon and touring handbrake shoes and fitting kit the same on touring and saloon? I know that back plates are different, and actual brake shoes sit different position on tourings compared to saloons but are actual parts the same on both?

Have you checked RealOEM for the relevant part numbers?

**Edit: part numbers are the same FYI; comparing 53i saloon vs touring

This is the kit I've used on my saloons & touring: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393386719171?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&epid=248823183&hash=item5b97acf7c3:g:VkcAAOSwgDpgwIld

Edited by d_a_n1979

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Have you checked RealOEM for the relevant part numbers?

**Edit: part numbers are the same FYI; comparing 53i saloon vs touring

This is the kit I've used on my saloons & touring: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393386719171?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&epid=248823183&hash=item5b97acf7c3:g:VkcAAOSwgDpgwIld

No mate, didn't checked yet, thanks for doing that. Thanks for link.

4 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Replaced the rear dampers on an E39 saloon. I'd forgotten what a miserable, long winded bastard of a job this is. A pity BMW didn't apply an iota of common sense - it was designed with utter disregard to anyone repairing it. 

Tourings are much easier.  Probably more by luck than BMW design.

Drove my cat to the emergency vets in it twice today.

03:00 - Parked nose in and bumped a stupid foot high bollard which, like a stealth bomber, avoided PDC. Chipped the bumper. Crap.

17:00 - Reversed in alongside a gent in some kind of SUV thing with his window down, presumably waiting for someone inside the vets. Warned me when I was about to hit a stupid foot high bollard, so I didn't this time. Then he said he had to appreciate the condition of my car. Best thing which happened all day, depressingly enough.

I will be driving it back to vets tomorrow to pick up said moggy, and be faced with a bill for him higher than the amount I paid for this car, I fear.

19 minutes ago, Pzero said:

I will be driving it back to vets tomorrow to pick up said moggy, and be faced with a bill for him higher than the amount I paid for this car, I fear.

Hope the cat’s ok mate.

Was it an emergency of his / her own making?

13 hours ago, Pzero said:

Drove my cat to the emergency vets in it twice today.

03:00 - Parked nose in and bumped a stupid foot high bollard which, like a stealth bomber, avoided PDC. Chipped the bumper. Crap.

17:00 - Reversed in alongside a gent in some kind of SUV thing with his window down, presumably waiting for someone inside the vets. Warned me when I was about to hit a stupid foot high bollard, so I didn't this time. Then he said he had to appreciate the condition of my car. Best thing which happened all day, depressingly enough.

Hope the mogs ok pal; ours has been a bit expensive over the last few months... Decided to keep picking up various viruses and he even got a cold :lol: :mad: 

Fortunately we took him in the Racing Jazz :mrgreen:

14 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Tourings are much easier.  Probably more by luck than BMW design.

Agree; touring rear dampers are hilariously easy

But I personally never thought the saloon ones were that difficult; just a PITA re all the rear interior having to come out

However, I had it down to a 10min job in the end; more so on both previous saloons with fitting coilovers etc

2 hours ago, Huff said:

Scraped the bugs off and washed it; went for a drive; at the first break, then counted splattered bugs!*

* https://www.buglife.org.uk/get-involved/surveys/bugs-matter/

IMG_6920_600px.jpg

IMG_6923_600px.jpg

Just saw this on PFM pal ;)

Need to get one of them bug splat thing's myself. Short journey last night out for tea after washing the touring yesterday afternoon and it looks like I hit a few swarms on the country roads :lol:

interesting thing overall to me today is, after c. 210-ish mile round trip (a great drive) - the first 90miles as reported found the 24 ickle bugmarks on the numberplate;

But

- by the time I got home mid-afternoon - that plate count hadn't markedly changed - yet-also, on the windscreen, I'd picked-up (amongst several other large  grease spots and misc strikes) 3, monstrous, '2-3" x 1/2"wide +'  long streaks of flouro yellow-green goop. :o

2 hours ago, Huff said:

interesting thing overall to me today is, after c. 210-ish mile round trip (a great drive) - the first 90miles as reported found the 24 ickle bugmarks on the numberplate;

But

- by the time I got home mid-afternoon - that plate count hadn't markedly changed - yet-also, on the windscreen, I'd picked-up (amongst several other large  grease spots and misc strikes) 3, monstrous, '2-3" x 1/2"wide +'  long streaks of flouro yellow-green goop. :o

We drove down the the Loire Valley a few years ago...

It was just south of Le Mans that we entered “bug country” - it was genocide. We had the wipers on almost constantly trying to cope with the ever thickening layer of insect protein that seemed to instantly bake itself onto the windscreen. :shock:

On 5/29/2021 at 8:48 PM, Ray112 said:

Not necessarily, my rears were about the same as yours, maybe little less rotten, but fronts didn't need anything to do. One side front had tiny bit of surface rust to clean up and paint, other side didn't have anything wrong with it at all. So I would say front jacking points are less prone to rust issues than rear ones. And it's good that internal structure is still in good condition, a lot less to do.

That looks reallly serious, I’ve had these only and costed a fair bit to repair.

7110B5EE-8ED6-4724-B5AF-E8B8F9A17CBE.jpeg

523E8356-8040-4380-A469-6F7D3587A7DD.jpeg

On 6/7/2021 at 11:06 AM, CG172 said:

What a difference! Looks great. :D

How does it feel, still like real leather ? Does it colour clothes? 

Starting to drive me mad… shows “check your coolant level on dash each time” but level seems to be fine… broken sensor? Engine temp is spot on.

190F9F36-BE9D-499B-B74D-0686D503EE4C.jpeg

DD3DBC4B-C035-45FE-9A98-F65AE511B234.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Starting to drive me mad… shows “check your coolant level on dash each time” but level seems to be fine… broken sensor? Engine temp is spot on.

190F9F36-BE9D-499B-B74D-0686D503EE4C.jpeg

DD3DBC4B-C035-45FE-9A98-F65AE511B234.jpeg

Sounds like a failed sensor...

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Sounds like a failed sensor...

Would that be the one one the underside of the expansion tank? I was confused when I did my system refresh and didn’t have one - is it an option that comes with the High OBC or MID?

51 minutes ago, CG172 said:

Would that be the one one the underside of the expansion tank? I was confused when I did my system refresh and didn’t have one - is it an option that comes with the High OBC or MID?

Hmmm... Not sure

Did the new stuff you fitted not have the sensor; or was there not one wired in there already?

There is a sensor in the base of the tank to activate the low coolant warning. Iirc it's like an E46 one and fits into a dry chamber so no coolant comes out when you remove it. Sensors are buttons from ECP etc BUT it may well be the magnetic level sender in the tank. They can stick or break loose and the sensor can't read it. If you need a new tank, buy one from BMW. I got pissed off with 'quality' aftermarket tanks years ago. 

Discovered that the drivers side front control arm bush is squeaking/groaning... More so over small humps (ie on/off the drive) and turning slowly...

That'll be another part to order and have fitted on 23rd :lol: 

Intake manifold gaskets changed today. Manifold itself was quite clean inside, due to been cleaned by myself when did swirl flap delete three years ago, but on  that time I didn't clean all black deposits from cylinder head intake ports. While I was there, did a good clean on them as well this time. The size of top ports now  are definitely increased by good 5mm at least on each side. Should be better air flow now. 

And replaced fuel filter as well. 

After all car feels little quicker, especially at higher rev range. Maybe placebo effect, who knows :D

IMG_20210613_111659.jpg

Edited by Ray112

Got the car booked in for a few things and decided to get the gearbox serviced while it’s in. 

should give me some peace of mind. 

On 6/13/2021 at 12:17 PM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

There is a sensor in the base of the tank to activate the low coolant warning. Iirc it's like an E46 one and fits into a dry chamber so no coolant comes out when you remove it. Sensors are buttons from ECP etc BUT it may well be the magnetic level sender in the tank. They can stick or break loose and the sensor can't read it. If you need a new tank, buy one from BMW. I got pissed off with 'quality' aftermarket tanks years ago. 

So you recommend replacing expansion tank which comes with the magnetic level sender? Is this a tricky job?