stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Not exactly today but last week.  A fair bit of bodywork.  Rear wheel arch (n/s) plus jacking points both sides.  They were not actually that bad.  Just small plates welded in.  Had not been mentioned in MOT but i thought worth doing as the car is nearly 19 years old.

Also had the main tailgate completely resprayed.  I had kept a few rust bubbles at bay for a few years but time to do it properly.

Changed a load of trim as well.  Rear n/s front M entry trim (damged) and entry trim rear o/s.  Also changed both taligate rubbers and trim around bumper and taligate including the boot step and inner plastic, all of which was looking  split scuffed and tired after so long as a load lugger. Got a load of pics when i can dig them out.

Used a body shop near Gatwick recommended by loadmaster.

Edited by Dbcrd

7 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I no longer own that car; @GBS does and he's hardly on here any more, unfortunately.

But if it survived my wide 22 stone arse, it'll survive anything :lol: 

If the original bolsters have lasted this long, new ones will nigh on do the same and outlive your ownership probably 

Fair point! Found a place today willing to have a look at the seat, sounded like they knew what they were doing. 

23 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

If you ever decide to sell that car expect a bidding war.  The amount of tlc it gets.

Haha cheers

I've turned down a number of offers already this year; as I've said to a few folk, I've absolutely no idea what I'd replace it with and I'd only have to start all over again and do what I've done to my touring, to the replacement car etc :roll: 

The 530i may not be the fastest car around; but it's still a bloody good drive and it ticks a lot of boxes etc!

3 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Not exactly today but last week.  A fair bit of bodywork.  Rear wheel arch (n/s) plus jacking points both sides.  They were not actually that bad.  Just small plates welded in.  Had not been mentioned in MOT but i thought worth doing as the car is nearly 19 years old.

Also had the main tailgate completely resprayed.  I had kept a few rust bubbles at bay for a few years but time to do it properly.

Changed a load of trim as well.  Rear n/s front M entry trim (damged) and entry trim rear o/s.  Also changed both taligate rubbers and trim around bumper and taligate including the boot step and inner plastic, all of which was looking  split scuffed and tired after so long as a load lugger. Got a load of pics when i can dig them out.

Blimey, when did I do that?!

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Blimey, when did I do that?!

Your advice was much appreciated. I was not happy with the last body shop o used and ian spotted things that could have been done a bit better.  It's Ian and son Lewis. 

The answer to your question is a few times. Happy with the quality and service.

Edited by Dbcrd

5 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Haha cheers

I've turned down a number of offers already this year; as I've said to a few folk, I've absolutely no idea what I'd replace it with and I'd only have to start all over again and do what I've done to my touring, to the replacement car etc :roll: 

The 530i may not be the fastest car around; but it's still a bloody good drive and it ticks a lot of boxes etc!

In my view you've got the point exactly.  You're running a mint example of one of the best BMWs or maybe even best comparable cars ever made.  New 40 to 50k or so  They drive better than the new equivalent models from my experience in that you cam feel the hamdling and a bit of expense here and there comes nowhere near the deprecation of a newer car.  That is how i see it anyway

The only risk of ending up out of pocket is if it gets written off when the insurance payout may not be good enoigh. 

You're right.  What on earth could you replace it with?

Edited by Dbcrd

10 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

In my view you've got the point exactly.  You're running a mint example of one of the best BMWs or maybe even best comparable cars ever made.  New 40 to 50k or so  They drive better than the new equivalent models from my experience in that you cam feel the hamdling and a bit of expense here and there comes nowhere near the deprecation of a newer car.  That is how i see it anyway

The only risk of ending up out of pocket is if it gets written off when the insurance payout may not be good enoigh. 

You're right.  What on earth could you replace it with?

Fortunately I've got an agreed valuation :) 

Re it's replacement; like for like I'd struggle...

But I do think my next car could be something like an E63 750i, or an F01 750i... I do really want to try and get a V8 next time around, may even look at Mercs

But it's a long time coming really... 

My touring has just crossed 96k miles; it's still being run in ;):lol: 

Thought I’d have a poke around at my rear jacking points….going to need a bit of work I think! Still I’m not surprised by what I’ve found, it’s actually better than I thought it would be, at least at first inspection the internal structure appears fairly solid, and good metal isn’t too far up inside the inner sill. The fronts won’t be too far behind this I’m sure. 

03787752-5F4C-4A6C-BA7E-C470CF7DEB9C.jpeg

96999403-09CB-485B-B426-495A1DD27013.jpeg

4E67EE96-5B32-42D9-A0F9-F5AF7BC8D0CA.jpeg

6 hours ago, LukeH said:

Thought I’d have a poke around at my rear jacking points….going to need a bit of work I think! Still I’m not surprised by what I’ve found, it’s actually better than I thought it would be, at least at first inspection the internal structure appears fairly solid, and good metal isn’t too far up inside the inner sill. The fronts won’t be too far behind this I’m sure. 

03787752-5F4C-4A6C-BA7E-C470CF7DEB9C.jpeg

96999403-09CB-485B-B426-495A1DD27013.jpeg

4E67EE96-5B32-42D9-A0F9-F5AF7BC8D0CA.jpeg

Not necessarily, my rears were about the same as yours, maybe little less rotten, but fronts didn't need anything to do. One side front had tiny bit of surface rust to clean up and paint, other side didn't have anything wrong with it at all. So I would say front jacking points are less prone to rust issues than rear ones. And it's good that internal structure is still in good condition, a lot less to do.

Edited by Ray112

50 minutes ago, 740mick said:

Still stunning as to be expected Dave.

Thanks Mick. Planning on putting some miles on it in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, greenelekta said:

My Alpina V8s Touring out of storage today, into the sunshine!

low mp.jpg

Stunning!! :wub:

1 hour ago, greenelekta said:

Man... That's beautiful.

Question though - Had a quick google after looking at yours and noticing the lack of roof rails. Wasn't sure if the Alpinas didn't have them by default, but see quite a lot of pics of some which do. Did yours come without rails, or did you carry out (or have someone carry out) removal for them? Nice clean look, considering losing the ones currently on my non-Alpina touring.

Speaking of which... Been a while since I had more exciting to report than I cleaned it, but I did. Again. Gave it a damn good polish too.

Or maybe I just got a mural of a Karcher and a human leg painted on the side to look like I did. 

20210601_133701.thumb.jpg.bdfc335f3c11b41ad1a0fdcdaaa037ce.jpg

On 5/27/2021 at 6:30 PM, Dbcrd said:

Mind sharing the wisdom? I'm close to Gatwick, and although am not in critical need of body work right now, there are a few bits which might need attention in the future!

Thanks in advance :)

9 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Man... That's beautiful.

Question though - Had a quick google after looking at yours and noticing the lack of roof rails. Wasn't sure if the Alpinas didn't have them by default, but see quite a lot of pics of some which do. Did yours come without rails, or did you carry out (or have someone carry out) removal for them? Nice clean look, considering losing the ones currently on my non-Alpina touring.

Not an Alpina thing. The first owner (I'm second) ordered without roof rails. Agreed it a clean look.

2 hours ago, greenelekta said:

low mp.jpg

Gorgeous touring as always pal :cool: 

On 22/05/2021 at 21:41, d_a_n1979 said:

It just pops off…

If it’s really stuck, try using very hot water to see if it’ll help soften the plastic or expand the metal bracket 

Thanks! Tried again over the weekend as it was warmer (didn't use water). It just won't budge and I'm very concerned applying more force and breaking the arm or damaging something. Might see this weekend with some water...

On 02/06/2021 at 03:47, Dbcrd said:

I'll hop on here and thank you (and Loadmaster). I'm looking at having quite a few defects and dents repaired on my Slate green E39 and might get in touch with Ian if he comes recommended. I'm usually so wary of bodyshops I just avoid them altogether! Looking at getting the car back to fresh factory look and know it won't be cheap so really need someone I can trust will do a long-lasting job.

Finally got round to doing the seats with this 

https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/car-interior-care-products/leather-colourant-kit-1

PHbL2Au.jpg

2YuyVZH.jpg

UVRoPAW.jpg

Y1RMsiX.jpg

The only problem is the more things you fix the worse the few bits left look, like that M sill trim! 

11 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

Finally got round to doing the seats with this 

https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/car-interior-care-products/leather-colourant-kit-1

PHbL2Au.jpg

2YuyVZH.jpg

UVRoPAW.jpg

Y1RMsiX.jpg

The only problem is the more things you fix the worse the few bits left look, like that M sill trim! 

What a difference! Looks great. :D

Looks good.

I really want to do something with my leather interior to keep it looking good.

It’s black and generally in great condition already. I think it could just  do with a decent clean and condition.

I think I’m still a few years/miles away from a re-dye.

On 6/7/2021 at 12:03 AM, Andyrt200 said:

Aaaaand now I've got another job which I didn't know I wanted to do added to my list! Massive improvement!

58 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Aaaaand now I've got another job which I didn't know I wanted to do added to my list! Massive improvement!

Ha, sorry! That kit is probably best, they also do one with just sponges to apply the stuff, you can away with that, though the air brush is fun. I spent ages getting the airbrush connected to my compressor as I’d used up the can the kit comes with last time (on a different car) but couldn’t find the correct pressure to make it work reliably so resorted to just small sponges, with the pictured results.
My build sheet said it was Montana black so I ordered that but they said really black is black & it would be fine to use on the Dakota black in my 335i too (the difference is in the finish). The E39 finish is probably somewhere the slightly more matt side of satin. I had just used the satin in the pictures, after a short amount of use the finish soon blends together anyway. The seats were quite a high gloss till & cleaned then up properly before starting!