stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

8 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

That's exactly what i recently put in my car.  Seems to be that or Bosch.

Never heared of Lion but has got Good reviews, Will give it a try

Headlight aim and fitted some blue/white dipped beams and yellow high beams. The yellows are really good but the dipped don't seem very bright. I'll see how I get on but may look into hids for the dipped beams 

20210514_172145.jpg

20210514_172148.jpg

Aren't aftermarket HIDs an automatic MOT failure now?

Best just to fit OEM xenon ballasts, D2S xenon bulbs and D2S to H7 adapters; all OEM then and won't fail an MOT :)

I may or may not be an mot tester :P

I had hids in my previous car with projector headlights and they had a nice crisp beam image so may get the same set 

Sold my saloon, watched it drive away, and said goodbye to an old friend...

it’s been in the family since new, sad to see it go, happy it’s gone to someone who’s gonna give it some love, happier to have some money back to put into the touring!

Saw the car in person this weekend for the first time in six months as the bodywork stage of restoration draws to a close and attention moves to the engine, drivetrain and chassis. The new paint is better than I had hoped and I am getting increasingly excited about getting the car back when all of the work is completed.

It’s not a completed exercise yet but here are a couple of teasers. I’ll post some up when it’s all finished but keep in mind that the moment it hasn’t been polished, hasn’t got brakes, exhaust or half the drivetrain fitted so the stance is rather strange, and the model badge is going to be repositioned. However, the wheels are intentionally and will be staying silver as I have never personally thought that shadow chrome works against Oxford Green (although to my eyes it does against other dark colours. It‘s just a green thing!). Jon

BFAC01D9-EA5A-4026-A4D6-A9C1983645D1.jpeg

301458DE-70AC-4107-BB75-EBF52C225D31.jpeg

1BD3F8D0-3BA4-4F78-A57A-FE1129B8F153.jpeg

2FFB50A4-270A-484A-AD5C-B2C0C42D5025.jpeg

D8B718B2-803C-4402-9830-935530A062A0.jpeg

Very nice - I like the green with tan combo. And agree totally about the wheel colour. Looking very smart.

And without the quad exhaust in it looks like an EV conversion! :D

Splendid stuff!

I've much love for Oxfordgreen on the E34/ E39; really works with the discreetly -handsome, well-resolved body design. My old e34 540, in avatar was the same - I strongly agree with classic BMW wheels in silver (mine were M5 Throwing stars, with the wide 9J rear and a nice deep dish like yours ) - works a treat overall.

Edited by Huff

In tank fuel pump replaced on my 525d touring. Inside was still original pump (factory hose clamp still on everywhere and both sides had some kind of label stickers over big rings on top of fuel tank). Inside was VDO pump, not bad to last 19 years and 238k miles. Replaced for the same VDO one, £59 from eurocarparts.

IMG_20210518_120122.jpg

IMG_20210518_120146.jpg

IMG_20210518_131734.jpg

26 minutes ago, ger said:

That's a good price I'd say, for an original! Going to look for one myself now!

That's of course after applying their discount code, but that's kind of stuff everyone knows these days.

Couldn't find mine for a reasonable price :-( (for the e61)..

Edited by ger

FItted a 330i intake hose on my 530i, as I noticed a couple of small splits whilst taking it out to access the oil filter housing seal. Turns out the old was was wrapped in copious amounts of black electrical tape in an attempt to seal up some fairly large holes.

I’m all for thrift, but honestly - who bodges a £15 part?  :shock:

Resonator is gone now too, as a bonus. No idea if it sounds any better unfortunately, as the cooling system is still in many pieces...

4 hours ago, CG172 said:

FItted a 330i intake hose on my 530i, as I noticed a couple of small splits whilst taking it out to access the oil filter housing seal. Turns out the old was was wrapped in copious amounts of black electrical tape in an attempt to seal up some fairly large holes.

I’m all for thrift, but honestly - who bodges a £15 part?  :shock:

Resonator is gone now too, as a bonus. No idea if it sounds any better unfortunately, as the cooling system is still in many pieces...

It's a job I always recommend folk do to their 530i ASAP:

clean2.jpg

As said, it's a £15 part (well; for that section); the sections further back are more expensive; but not by much :) 

37 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

It's a job I always recommend folk do to their 530i ASAP:

clean2.jpg

As said, it's a £15 part (well; for that section); the sections further back are more expensive; but not by much :) 

What is the difference to the 530i hose and are there any particular gains?

9 hours ago, Gte86 said:

What is the difference to the 530i hose and are there any particular gains?

It removes the resonator from the air intake system.

Opinions vary as to whether this is a good thing or not, but as far as I’m concerned it simplifies the intake path and removes an unnecessary complication and component from the engine bay. However most importantly (for me anyway) it apparently *slightly* increases the induction noise...  :D

The E46 330i the part comes from is rated at the same power as the E39 530i, so the resonator can only be there for the purpose of making the ‘5 more refined than the ‘3. I used a Febi part, listed on eBay as “Febi 46034 intake hose air filter”.

2 hours ago, CG172 said:

It removes the resonator from the air intake system.

Opinions vary as to whether this is a good thing or not, but as far as I’m concerned it simplifies the intake path and removes an unnecessary complication and component from the engine bay. However most importantly (for me anyway) it apparently *slightly* increases the induction noise...  :D

The E46 330i the part comes from is rated at the same power as the E39 530i, so the resonator can only be there for the purpose of making the ‘5 more refined than the ‘3. I used a Febi part, listed on eBay as “Febi 46034 intake hose air filter”.

^^^ This

But also the section around the resonator can split and let air in after the MAF; it's hard to see unless you physically remove it and look for it.

So it's another item to replace to make life easier when it comes to any potential issues IMO

Got the gearbox fluid and filter changed. The stuff that came out was not nice!

“Sealed for life” Mmmmm I don’t think so.

Today:

Reassembled the remaining parts of the coolant system.

Refilled the system with 50:50 coolant / deionised water and followed the bleed procedure.

Appears to have gone ok - started engine and brought up to temperature and the needle stayed where it should.

So that means the front end of the engine has now had:

- radiator

- thermostat

- water pump

- expansion tank

- fan shroud

While It was in bits I also did the oil filter housing seal and the air intake hose.

I *will* go back in when funds allow and change the belts and tensioners, and put fresh radiator hoses on too. The aim for the time being was to get it rolling under it’s own power so it can go away to a friend’s place for welding. How much rust will we find...? Watch this space. (It’s going to be lots isn’t it... :( )

1 hour ago, simufly said:

Got the gearbox fluid and filter changed. The stuff that came out was not nice!

“Sealed for life” Mmmmm I don’t think so.

How many miles on the car / old fluid?