stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

19 minutes ago, Sandip said:

Sold it!

Anyone we know? 

What's next then pal? 

Not on the forum no, have directed them here though. 

We've gon non BMW for a while with a MK7 Golf GTi :mrgreen:

It will be used more than the E39 was so a good daily option. 

On 12/04/2021 at 19:03, Pzero said:

Mine just sat there being lightly snowed on, whilst I took several phone calls from me dear old dad. His '97 E39 is having a myriad of problems. Would love to get INPA hooked up but it's the old 20 PIN engine bay connector, my k-line cable no good. Been onto Cable Shack (where I got my K-Line), out of stock of the 16-20pin adaptors and unlikely to restock as trade cost now exceeds retail apparently. 

Anyone got an old Cable Shack 16-20 pin adaptor which they no longer need knocking around which they would like to make a few quid on?

I bought one on Amazon when I got the 535i, which has both the 16 pin under the dash and 20 pin in the engine bay. It was £9.95 and works just fine with my K+D line cable with INPA, DIS and even ISTA.

2 hours ago, Toughguyhuh said:

I bought one on Amazon when I got the 535i, which has both the 16 pin under the dash and 20 pin in the engine bay. It was £9.95 and works just fine with my K+D line cable with INPA, DIS and even ISTA.

Oh well, the car I needed it for is the white saloon in my post above, which from having a better look at it over the last few days may well be heading off to the great scrapyard in the sky shortly anyway, found so many issues by eye that an adaptor is halfway surplus now!

Out of interest though, any chance you could dig the link out from your Amazon order history if you have a moment? read about more than a few which don't work / weren't wired properly, so a proven one such as yours might be worth a go for that price.

Edited by Pzero

10 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Oh well, the car I needed it for is the white saloon in my post above, which from having a better look at it over the last few days may well be heading off to the great scrapyard in the sky shortly anyway, found so many issues by eye that an adaptor is halfway surplus now!

Out of interest though, any chance you could dig the link out from your Amazon order history if you have a moment? read about more than a few which don't work / weren't wired properly, so a proven one such as yours might be worth a go for that price.

This is the one I got - there are some more expensive and some less expensive but this one works just fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0054FJEDK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would be a shame to see another E39 heading off to the scrappers, but I guess one by one it makes ours just a little bit more rare!

Something strange. When going through slow down bumps I could hear squeaky noise from the rear suspension axle. Stoped grabbed the estate car by the roof rails and shook it sideways. Rear noise is gone but now I can hear it in the front. I only use it on the weekends so assumed one of those stubborn noises. Suspension is good there. Is there a lube possible to apply to stop it?

Changed my 2003 headlight adjusters. Oh the joys. Hours on the first one and about 20 mins on the second one 

51 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Something strange. When going through slow down bumps I could hear squeaky noise from the rear suspension axle. Stoped grabbed the estate car by the roof rails and shook it sideways. Rear noise is gone but now I can hear it in the front. I only use it on the weekends so assumed one of those stubborn noises. Suspension is good there. Is there a lube possible to apply to stop it?

Usually it's rose bush joints at the back. On early stages couple drops of oil injected through rubber into joint will stop squeaking noise. With air suspension deflated it's easier to detect if there's any movement in them. Mines felt dead solid, just squeaking every then and now, once I removed air compressor fuse and deflated bags while back was lifted up. Movement in rear wheels were shocking.

Gave both the Touring and the Saloon a ‘contactless wash’ to take off the dust/dirt that has settled over the last few weeks - really bad in our area!

I then gave the saloon a hoover and a wipe over inside, then took a bunch of pics for the for sale ad.... (currently on Facebook - I’m not a paid up member here yet, was going to see how I do with the “free ads” first)

6F6F3709-41C2-46BC-8891-145E1E7F1D00.thumb.jpeg.70f8998b34bded0a441d1a4427028bab.jpeg
4CE97A62-A9B8-4B78-8A2C-C69E7A86B550.thumb.jpeg.64d27cc2694047a47323f8c6ebbfdfa3.jpeg

175E2EA0-5735-4B41-AF3C-104571243B9D.thumb.jpeg.030afe834ce9a6b33a40f34ebdb8615d.jpeg

BAD2BC58-D2F1-46E0-AAF0-216DBD921AB3.thumb.jpeg.d23e95e607e2baf1cd973bfee678e5e5.jpeg

E54E7141-5FF0-4866-AC19-FD5863BF6754.thumb.jpeg.e338d8c1aca1b5f2080aa76540852314.jpeg

Scrubs up well for 282k miles I think!

Unfortunately after weeks/months of being parked up, when I went to start the car to move it, the battery was dead as a dodo (hence bootlid being wedged open a touch), so it’s currently on charge over the weekend to see if I can bring it back to life. - it’s still covered under warranty, so if it doesn’t hold charge by Monday morning I’ll take it it back to my mate at my local Allparts and get it swapped. (A nice bonus for any potential buyer) - reason for trying the recharge first is that my friend has said that they have to put it on their proper test machine for a couple of hours before they’re able to know if it’s good or not - seemed to make sense to try charging first as if they test battery as still “good”, I’d then have to recharge anyway.

After washing the touring, for the first time ever, I got a “boot open” warning (I did have boot/glass hatch open to wipe it all dry at one point) - I’ll keep an eye on this, but knowing my luck, and the age of the car, I wouldn’t be surprised if the wiring is a bit crusty. - Hoping that it can last until I get the bodywork sorted next year as boot lid will have to come off anyway.

Out of interest... where does the touring tailgate harness connnect? I know people have said you have to access part of it through where the rear roof speakers are? Has anyone done a guide to repair? Is there a repair harness available?

18 minutes ago, PL523i said:

282k and the drivers door seal isn't freyed?! What witchcraft is this?! 

lol!

yeah, rubbers are generally in great condition.

I need to replace the front seals on the touring (140k) because it looks like someone has rubbed against them every single time they got in/out of the car.

never really understood this, if people get in/out the car properly everything should remain in good condition.

even the drivers seat bolster is more intact  than most!

On 4/24/2021 at 7:23 AM, AdamB said:

Gave both the Touring and the Saloon a ‘contactless wash’ to take off the dust/dirt that has settled over the last few weeks - really bad in our area!

Same here, I gave mine a few hours of attention two weeks ago, hardly driven it since but it's covered in dust. Looks like an abandoned car in Dubai. What does your 'contactless wash' entail?

On 4/22/2021 at 10:07 PM, Gte86 said:

Changed my 2003 headlight adjusters. Oh the joys. Hours on the first one and about 20 mins on the second one 

Standard procedure for those on non-bake lights, my first one took over four hours (swearing breaks and stopping skinned knuckles bleeding into my headlights), second one about 45 mins. Bastard job!

Said goodbye to an old family friend on Friday, as it went on its final voyage to the knackers yard. My dad and I both drove this car for the last ten years, but it's had a hard life, and needs more attention than he (retired and never did much of his own wrenching) nor I with my own E39 to maintain can give it. So long old friend.

IMG-20210423-WA0001.thumb.jpg.3ea544b3ae873f2236076097fd392de9.jpg

Still, if anyone is looking for Alpine White body parts or a set of staggered style 32's in horrific need of a complete refurb, give Rotrip a call shortly. Maybe give any engine or gearbox parts from it a miss though!

On 4/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, Pzero said:

Same here, I gave mine a few hours of attention two weeks ago, hardly driven it since but it's covered in dust. Looks like an abandoned car in Dubai. What does your 'contactless wash' entail?

literally a quick low pressure rinse with the karcher to remove the loose dust, a coating of meguiars snow-foam (it’s what was bought for me at Christmas), then a bit of a higher pressure rinse.

I normally use a (clean/wiped/damp) silicone squeegee to lightly remove majority of water from roof/windows/bonnet, then a wipe over with a clean meguiars drying towel.

im not exactly a detailer, and at the moment neither of the cars have pristine paint, so I try to be careful not to lift any flaking paint/lacquer/rusty spots, plus I don’t have the patience to be too involved.

Edited by AdamB

On 4/11/2021 at 12:19 PM, AdamB said:

Took mine out for a short drive on Friday, it’s suddenly developed an internal creak/rattle from somewhere on the passenger side... really irritating

trouble is I’m not driving it regularly enough or long enough at the moment, and generally I’m on my own or with my youngest, so not ideal to be able to locate the area, seems to echo along the whole side of the car... all I know is it wasn’t there last weekend! :(

Think I found my noise...

CC38FC78-78D8-42AE-9056-7C9B3B45502D.thumb.jpeg.2731e4da64e02184b04529673c1a7bb0.jpeg

front of door trim wasn’t clipped in firmly due to the metal part of these clips being broken.

luckily I ordered a load from cotswold a while back, so intend to replace all of the inserts with new ones as the plastic that retains the metal part is broken on most of them. I’m tempted to bond the new ones in with a couple of dabs of epoxy, reckon this will be ok? 

Disa valve kit from X8R 

My old one was flapping about and the pin had moved down. No noise from it though. 

Very impressed with the quality and ease of fitment for the x8r parts 

20210427_100329.jpg

20210427_103529.jpg

20210427_121848.jpg

20210427_161815.jpg

Edited by Gte86

Looks like a well made upgrade. Is it cast alloy or machined?

I checked and cleaned mine a couple of months ago and it was actually remarkably clean, just a tiny bit hesitant to turn but after a few movements by hand it felt fine again.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:40 PM, Gte86 said:

Disa valve kit from X8R 

My old one was flapping about and the pin had moved down. No noise from it though. 

Very impressed with the quality and ease of fitment for the x8r parts 

One of the first repairs I had to do on my current ride, used the X8R kit as well. Two years and 15k miles in, not a single issue with it, a good peace of mind job to do :)

Edited by Pzero

Finally managed to get the broken splined bolts out of my 530i’s exhaust manifold. In the end I got some MAPP gas for my gas torch and heated the flanges up red hot, then as they were cooling I smacked the studs repeatedly with a hammer. About 1 minute of bashing each and they popped right out.

Any suggestions on what to replace them with? I want to avoid putting new splined bolts in and use something which will be a bit less difficult to get off in future.

541B262C-7038-4D87-8D43-67129BDF61D1.jpeg

7E108D38-03A3-40DD-9A16-A77CA54D09A1.jpeg

Couple control arms, suspension top mounts and steering rack dust boots replaced today on front axle, new tyres on back. And finally that car is quiet again and handles nicely. Plus last tiny brake vibration is gone after new suspension parts. Well spent day and well deserved beer now:D

She passed MOT - two advisories were both front tyres wearing on inner edge - not had her tracked since I changed the front track control arm so will get that done. Otherwise it sailed through.image.thumb.png.d2710353d315a09601b7dc8e60c177d3.png