stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1 hour ago, starbuck88 said:

Well we are most certainly getting somewhere.

Thicker Steel and using the full range of bilt hamber products to protect it all too.

bmwrustrepair11.jpg

Where is place for jacking point? And some holes need drilling for undertrays.

1 minute ago, Ray112 said:

Where is place for jacking point? And some holes need drilling for undertrays.

Not finished yet. you can't see on the photo as there is a template made up, there is a square area being cut out for pre cut jacking points :)  The actual jacking point structure inside, there was nothing wrong with it and only the face had a bit of surface rust, the sill metal attach to it was a different story.

33 minutes ago, starbuck88 said:

Not finished yet. you can't see on the photo as there is a template made up, there is a square area being cut out for pre cut jacking points :)  The actual jacking point structure inside, there was nothing wrong with it and only the face had a bit of surface rust, the sill metal attach to it was a different story.

Mine was the same, internally absolutely no corrosion damage to internal structure, only outside skin to replace and tiny bit of vertical part near fuel tank. Good to catch those issues on time, before all inside has rotten to death.

We've all been there or are going to be in this position.. 

It's an original hella, would be good to try and make it watertight again. 

IMG_20210313_144716.jpg

Finally got round to replacing the original 105° thermostat with the 88° one I bought a couple of months ago. This is a well known mod (Google it). The idea is the engine runs a bit cooler putting less strain on things.
Also dropped the bottom sump as I was curious to see if there were any pieces of broken timing chain guide. I was pleased to see the sump and engine internals looking very clean with no sign of debris. Mileage is 72K.
New anti-freeze, oil and filters, so all is good.

And I will get it out and use it this summer!

20210313_140427_resized.jpg

20210308_142038_resized.jpg

20210308_142143_resized.jpg

20210313_144852_resized.jpg

2 hours ago, greenelekta said:

Finally got round to replacing the original 105° thermostat with the 88° one I bought a couple of months ago. This is a well known mod (Google it). The idea is the engine runs a bit cooler putting less strain on things.
Also dropped the bottom sump as I was curious to see if there were any pieces of broken timing chain guide. I was pleased to see the sump and engine internals looking very clean with no sign of debris. Mileage is 72K.
New anti-freeze, oil and filters, so all is good.

And I will get it out and use it this summer!

Did you need to put any resistors in the loom connector to avoid the EML or any codes Dave? Mine is older being a 2001 so didn't throw any alarms or codes or messages but I had read that newer cars with newer software might need it.

Drove it, changed a brake light bulb and filled it with washer fluid - that's two warnings gone, just the number plate bulb to change. Funny they all happened on the wife's watch!

But also got depressed - having not really looked at it since xmas i note a couple of scabs have gotten worse over winter. Nothing terminal but need to get at them. I fear its coming close to the time we part ways. In no way a shed but as a family car i don't want to be spending more time than i have too keeping on top of things.

2021 might be time for a shake up!

43 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

Did you need to put any resistors in the loom connector to avoid the EML or any codes Dave? Mine is older being a 2001 so didn't throw any alarms or codes or messages but I had read that newer cars with newer software might need it.

Yes Kevin as its a bit newer than yours I had to fit a resistor into the original plug to stop a code being thrown.

This is the resistor came with the new BMW thermostat from a Geman Ebay seller as a "kit"

20210313_143433_resized.jpg

After the sill work and new brake lines, I am very happy to be able to say it's passed its MOT with NO advisories!! Woop woooooooooooooooooooooooooooop. It's only ever passed 3 MOTS in the past  18 (nearly 19) with no advisories, I now intend on keeping it advisory free every year going forward. 

Edited by starbuck88

The beast needed handbrake sorting, so with new pads & shoes in hand I set about replacing them. BLIMEY!!!!

What on earth did the designers think they were doing???

The adjusters are inside the drum & not anywhere near what my manual says. The operation of the shoes is awful, and it bit me twice!

Finally got it back together though & it’s still pretty poor!

I will adjust the cable, but I don’t expect it to be very effective!

Edited by eleanorsskipper

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

^ its a rite of passage with the e39 :rolleyes:

Touch wood; all mine have had very good handbrakes; my touring being the best

Washed it :mrgreen: - need to live up to the rep eh @duncan-uk :lol:

It hasn't turned a wheel in over a week again; but still, it gets filthy sat on the drive ;) 

Took the old girl to visit my mate’s ramp to investigate the blowing exhaust. Leaking from the usual place where the downpipe joins the centre section. Studs are knackered so they’re going to need grinding, drilling out and replacing with nuts/bolts and new gaskets.

9 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

The beast needed handbrake sorting, so with new pads & shoes in hand I set about replacing them. BLIMEY!!!!

What on earth did the designers think they were doing???

The adjusters are inside the drum & not anywhere near what my manual says. The operation of the shoes is awful, and it bit me twice!

Finally got it back together though & it’s still pretty poor!

I will adjust the cable, but I don’t expect it to be very effective!

It's not ideal, but it's not too bad either to remove or adjust pads. Adjusters are at rear side of drums for touring and on top of drum for saloons as far as I know ( mine is touring). Easy to reach and adjust through wheel bolt. Of course if nothing is seized.

Had a horrible vibration when turning right at about 50 mph. Bought a new Febi bottom arm, but it turns out the mounting bolt was loose (which I changed about 5 years ago). Anyway resolved the issues and then I put her back to work.  1671459142_BMWdigger.thumb.jpg.546ab498221617ac96c0d0b8300e47e1.jpg

Edited by wingman

On 19/03/2021 at 19:55, 832ark said:

Took the old girl to visit my mate’s ramp to investigate the blowing exhaust. Leaking from the usual place where the downpipe joins the centre section. Studs are knackered so they’re going to need grinding, drilling out and replacing with nuts/bolts and new gaskets.

I watched my mechanic sort these - incredibly simple. He put a flame on the stud for about 15 - 20 minutes (just left it there mounted) - then big lump hammer - tap tap and out it came. Easy when the engine is out, not sure what access is like with engine in though

Style 66s and PS4 tyres dropped off today with my pal to be fully stripped, refurbished and then powdercoated :) 

loaded1.jpg

loaded2.jpg

Will update with what colour I've gone for when I get them back ;) It's nothing special 

Pulled out the transmission on the 530i, it's now sitting on my bench mostly pulled apart, waiting for the overhaul kit and clutch discs to arrive.

Had two of the exhaust bolts snap so will be trying the old flame routine on them. The two which didn't snap are truly welded into the manifold downpipes with corrosion.

Got the 535i headlights back in with new adjusters and servos so they're working very nicely now. My diy sanding and lacquering of the lenses seems to be holding up and the front end is transformed from what it was.