stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

23 minutes ago, Gte86 said:

They look lovely. What's the paint code/colour?

Thanks! I don’t have that exactly, it’s what the powder coated calls dark gunmetal

Looks nice and fresh. 

My ocd would make me line the m badge, centre cap and locking wheel nut up. 

A bmw owner friend made me do his that way years ago and I've been converted. :roll:

I’m getting a new set of boot on my 66’s on 10 March. All 4!

I like the gunmetal finish too. Might sort that from my local guy.

when it’s done & through it’s MOT, I’ll sort the callipers.  I’ve measured the discs & I have the larger discs (340?) on the front!

25 minutes ago, Gte86 said:

Looks nice and fresh. 

My ocd would make me line the m badge, centre cap and locking wheel nut up. 

A bmw owner friend made me do his that way years ago and I've been converted. :roll:

I'm the same, to me it really stands out!

I''ve got them rotating centre caps now, so no need to worry :D

4 minutes ago, ger said:

I'm the same, to me it really stands out!

I''ve got them rotating centre caps now, so no need to worry :D

It's something you never notice until it's pointed out, and then you can't unsee it :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

I’m getting a new set of boot on my 66’s on 10 March. All 4!

I like the gunmetal finish too. Might sort that from my local guy.

when it’s done & through it’s MOT, I’ll sort the callipers.  I’ve measured the discs & I have the larger discs (340?) on the front!

324mm are biggest front brakes, smallest size is 296mm. 

7 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

I did the measurements with a tape measure. Clearly I got it badly adjusted. 324 it it is! Thanks.

after the front arms are done, I’ll clean up the callipers and renew the flexible brake lines. What is the consensus on gunmetal wheels?

10 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Aren't M5 discs 345mm? 

Could it be someone has done that conversion?

14 hours ago, 832ark said:

Revived the front brakes to go with the freshly refurbed wheels. Makes a huge difference. Rears tomorrow!

ADF2AD11-6880-4475-97CC-9A7F238B6394.jpeg

Great colour; can't go wrong with gunmetal Style 66s IMO ;) 

detail1.jpg

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Aren't M5 discs 345mm? 

Could it be someone has done that conversion?

You are right, they are definitely bigger than 324mm, but I was referring that to less powerful E39 models, not M5. Not many have upgraded to M5 brakes I believe. 

11 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

I did the measurements with a tape measure. Clearly I got it badly adjusted. 324 it it is! Thanks.

after the front arms are done, I’ll clean up the callipers and renew the flexible brake lines. What is the consensus on gunmetal wheels?

MEasure again to. make sure; 530i, 530D and 540i brakes are 324mm and 296mm front/rear; M5s are 345mm fronts. So need to see if you've measured wrong; or the previous owners has fitted M5 front brakes.

25 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

MEasure again to. make sure; 530i, 530D and 540i brakes are 324mm and 296mm front/rear; M5s are 345mm fronts. So need to see if you've measured wrong; or the previous owners has fitted M5 front brakes.

Or original M5 discs are floating ones, so you can tell difference just looking at them. Of course, unless someone has done even more surgery and managed to use different brake discs, due to M5 rotors having too big price tag.

All kind of surprises can be expected on cars at this age and fair few owners before.

On 05/03/2021 at 18:25, Huff said:

If you have the time - this deserves a thread of its own; like @waitee with his 540.

At least please do give us update on progress!

I for one really understand your sentiments; good for you; and best wishes for all success :)

I will set up a thread as you suggest - I'm already taking lots of pictures. Good that there is some interest. These cars are going to go from cheap hack to classics in restoration I guess over time - thread is here - 

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/144995-e39-530i-sport-champagne-run-out-resurrection/

Edited by wsn03

Today I finished refurbing my 535i headlights. I previously tried refurbing my 530i’s headlights but I wasn’t happy with the results so bought new lenses.

The 535i on the other hand, is a ‘99 pre-LCI and after looking at the replacement costs I decided to give it another go. No machine sanding, everything by hand with sandpaper grades from 1000-2000 grit and then wet sanding to finish. Cleaned thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and then sprayed with Hycote clear lacquer.

Replaced the broken manual adjusters on both sides (all smashed to bits) and one of the servo adjusters which looked like it had died from moisture exposure. Not surprising since both headlights were very badly full of condensation when I got the car. Cleaned everything, checked all seals, and put it all back together.

Also replaced the two main beam bulbs with LEDs (one had failed) and coded out the cold checks and main beam bulb failure warning in NCS Expert. They’re working nicely and have a nice blue hue to match the Xenons.

All in all, very pleased with the results, although I also discovered the front LWA level sensor was goosed so replaced the broken connector and have a new sensor and control arm on the way. The previous owner had the control arm connected with cable ties.

841DEB1B-C2B1-49A1-A7CE-A6DDABE44D01.jpeg

3A182554-BF93-439C-A81A-7371B2FBD400.jpeg

CBC9342B-7507-4A49-81A7-FDD03F171886.jpeg

16B6BCEC-63B0-4F20-90E6-58EA4C70B9DC.jpeg

4C4D1AAE-C2CD-456F-93B8-0B3D3F4E8254.jpeg

F5E07C96-12DA-463F-A29E-0E3019E399B0.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Toughguyhuh said:

Today I finished refurbing my 535i headlights. I previously tried refurbing my 530i’s headlights but I wasn’t happy with the results so bought new lenses.

The 535i on the other hand, is a ‘99 pre-LCI and after looking at the replacement costs I decided to give it another go. No machine sanding, everything by hand with sandpaper grades from 1000-2000 grit and then wet sanding to finish. Cleaned thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and then sprayed with Hycote clear lacquer.

Replaced the broken manual adjusters on both sides (all smashed to bits) and one of the servo adjusters which looked like it had died from moisture exposure. Not surprising since both headlights were very badly full of condensation when I got the car. Cleaned everything, checked all seals, and put it all back together.

Also replaced the two main beam bulbs with LEDs (one had failed) and coded out the cold checks and main beam bulb failure warning in NCS Expert. They’re working nicely and have a nice blue hue to match the Xenons.

All in all, very pleased with the results, although I also discovered the front LWA level sensor was goosed so replaced the broken connector and have a new sensor and control arm on the way. The previous owner had the control arm connected with cable ties.

841DEB1B-C2B1-49A1-A7CE-A6DDABE44D01.jpeg

3A182554-BF93-439C-A81A-7371B2FBD400.jpeg

CBC9342B-7507-4A49-81A7-FDD03F171886.jpeg

16B6BCEC-63B0-4F20-90E6-58EA4C70B9DC.jpeg

4C4D1AAE-C2CD-456F-93B8-0B3D3F4E8254.jpeg

F5E07C96-12DA-463F-A29E-0E3019E399B0.jpeg

I got a price for that clip, ( cos I need one too), for £30+ from Cotswold!

£6 delivered on Ebay

“NEW 6 Pin Way Plug Electrical Connector Car Restrictor Sensor For BMW Audi Ford”

Even £6 feels criminal for a plastic 6-pin connector!

Edited by Toughguyhuh

The old chestnut, wet carpets in the rear nearside footwell.  Had this about five years ago and failed again. Cleaned all the sealant off the inner membrane and re-stuck it with Tiger Seal.  Hopefully good for many years to come.  Same side.  Strange.

Put a new fan clutch into the 535i, the old one I noticed was struggling to spin consistently and looks like it was the original Behr one. Bought a Meyle one for £50 which looks and feels nicely made. There was a whining sound when the old clutch was in which is now also gone so glad I did it. I put a bit of copper grease on the nut since I know I'll need it off a few more times when I get round to doing the valve covers, VANOS, radiator, thermostat, timing chain guides etc etc etc.

It's much easier getting the fan clutch off the V8 than the I6, there's more room for the wrench and locking bar.

Edited by Toughguyhuh

Yea fan clutch can be a bear, on one car I did it was so tight I had to use a mallet on the wrench to break it loose. Bent my waterpump holding tool and damaged the waterpump pulley bolts too. Just replaced mine on the 528i as it was starting to stick on, massive roar after driving around for a bit.

Also cleaned up the wiper relay contacts, the wipers have a habit of stopping in the wrong place lately. Hopefully that fixes it, otherwise it's probably wiper motor time.

Tonight mine will be stripped, exhaust, prop, fuel tank and brake lines all coming out.

Ready to start cutting out the jacking points rot. We are thinking we will replace the entire inner area from where the passenger floor pan ends right to the arch on both sides with 3x2 box section to make the entire area incredibly strong and use the full array of bilt hamber products to prime, wax and seal everywhere! I don't want to have to deal with this again. Sure it won't 'look' entirely original but it will be hidden under the car and will be very good for many many years to come.

Found more bodges... and therefore more stuff to add to the list from cotswold. This time it’s a vacuum tank that was hidden under the engine cover. (Which also has broken clips because PO didn’t know how to remove... FFS!!!)

ive also spent the last few days wondering about my error code issue and best plan of attack, I don’t know whether to just change cam sensors and keep my fingers crossed, or to go for a “diagnostics” session at my local BMW indi (Birds in Iver) to see what they can find.

B0E26818-C94A-48A9-995A-90CDD0B3010C.jpeg

2ED77CEF-13F3-40BA-876C-370FB6DB73FD.jpeg

Edited by AdamB

So,

With my new facelift lights, I thought I'd better get some adapter cables to join the buggers up.

Went to eBay to see what I could find, and ordered what were described as headlight adapter cables.

What arrived were adapter cables for the angel eyes and the indicator, but no headlight cables.

Complained to eBay, who called me straight back! and they are going back.

Please can someone tell be where I can get a complete set of headlight adapter cables?

Robert