Jump to content
stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Recommended Posts

Whilst sorting out a load of paperwork and bills etc for filing, decided to knock up a spreadsheet of all of the jobs I've done on this car, with dates. Then went through emails for parts ordered online etc. Then added in garage jobs for the bits I can't do with the car on the drive or just didn't have time. 

 

Then made the damn fool mistake of adding how much each thing had cost. Oh god. Excluding running costs (fuel, insurance, tax, MOT) and and far too many cleaning products (hey, I like her shiny), I've spent quite a bit more than I paid to buy the car just over two years ago. A reasonable chunk of that admittedly is ICE or cosmetic stuff which was done through choice rather than necessity, but... oh man. 

 

And here I am about to throw another £100 into the void for replacement trim parts, and then another £300 for some respray work. An 18 year old car may not be beyond saving, but I think I am.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So on my 535i, the MID display and cluster display had pixels out, plus the cluster had some bulbs out, so I removed both to replace them.

 

I was aware of some faults from reading the codes on ISTA, most of which I've sorted and cleared and was aware of a DSC/ABS issue that wouldn't clear and which I'll be getting to that in the coming weeks. What i wasn't prepared for was the fact that at some point in its history, someone had put some squares of PVC tape over the ABS, DSC and warning triangle LEDs inside the cluster, presumably to get the car through its MOT. I never clocked that those lights weren't showing up during the onboard check when the ignition was switched on. Some people...

 

Anyway, what I've done on this E39 so far:

 

Cluster LCD and bulbs are now all replaced (and PVC tape removed)

MID LCD is replaced

Gear selector lights fixed (intermittent connection when moving the lever)

Air filter replaced with K&N

New keys coded using an AK90+ (one new aftermarket key and I repaired the original key's PCB by swapping out the ELMOS 10030a chip to a second hand ebay key's PCB, need to cut them still)

Replacement footwell cover with gong which was missing

Replacement boot storage cubby

Removed rear speakers which were aftermarket Alpines but which weren't sealing into the enclosures, so new ones will be fitted

Removed rear parcel shelf in preparation for respraying with fabric paint.

Removed rear seats in preparation for colour repair and treatment.

Fixed sticking door handle on passenger side.

 

Plenty more to do!

 

IMG_3639.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the thought Toughguy but unfortunately I'm looking for a straight 6. 

I've got use of a hotrod for my v8 kicks and I'm saying the Bmw v8 for my midlife crisis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eleanorsskipper said:

It gets its mot on 1 March. 

Mine on the 2nd, holding off booking in for paintwork until then just in case!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pzero said:

Whilst sorting out a load of paperwork and bills etc for filing, decided to knock up a spreadsheet of all of the jobs I've done on this car, with dates. Then went through emails for parts ordered online etc. Then added in garage jobs for the bits I can't do with the car on the drive or just didn't have time. Then made the damn fool mistake of adding how much each thing had cost. Oh god. Excluding running costs (fuel, insurance, tax, MOT) and and far too many cleaning products (hey, I like her shiny), I've spent quite a bit more than I paid to buy the car just over two years ago. A reasonable chunk of that admittedly is ICE or cosmetic stuff which was done through choice rather than necessity, but... oh man. 

And here I am about to throw another £100 into the void for replacement trim parts, and then another £300 for some respray work. An 18 year old car may not be beyond saving, but I think I am.  

 

Big mistake adding up the cost of keeping an E39 on the road, you either do it because the car's a keeper or you're wasting your money :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BarryM said:

 

Big mistake adding up the cost of keeping an E39 on the road, you either do it because the car's a keeper or you're wasting your money :-)

No regrets, and I'd spend it again (and probably will). She's lovely to drive, no rust, love this car.

 

Just surprised me how much it all added up to. Two of the biggest jobs were critical surgery using genuine BMW part for both, each of which I could have bought a cheap runaround with 6 months MOT on for. But had to be done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2021 at 22:07, Ray112 said:

With that mileage 7k price tag would be little too high I think, 5k more realistic. It all depends on condition (visual like rust, scratches, dents, interior ect and technical). The more history you have, the better. If car has some rare items, like contour seats, double glazing, automatic tailgate etc, that's a good price booster. It's always hard to find right price, some people get lucky on auctions catching good interest and of course good final price. If not in too big rush to sell, start with higher price and try dropping slowly, if not getting much interest on beginning. 

That’s good to know. It’s got the sports seats, and there are no dents anywhere. 
I have the original documents, with the original spec sheet. I think £5k is about right. It’ll serve someone very well, I’m sure. It’s just impractical for round town, and that’s what I do now.

R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pzero said:

No regrets, and I'd spend it again (and probably will). She's lovely to drive, no rust, love this car.

 

Just surprised me how much it all added up to. Two of the biggest jobs were critical surgery using genuine BMW part for both, each of which I could have bought a cheap runaround with 6 months MOT on for. But had to be done. 

I feel your pain too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Pzero said:

No regrets, and I'd spend it again (and probably will). She's lovely to drive, no rust, love this car.

Just surprised me how much it all added up to. Two of the biggest jobs were critical surgery using genuine BMW part for both, each of which I could have bought a cheap runaround with 6 months MOT on for. But had to be done. 

 

Nice to hear, I'm the same with my E39 - had it for 8 years now and two biggest expenses have been replacement chain guides and all new suspension but I'm not planning to sell any time soon so worth it to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replaced the wiper relay, can’t understand why that costs so much for a new one! Straightforward job, the bolts spun in the plastic relay box, but a tip from this fine forum, to carefully pull up the lid while turning the bolts worked a treat. Finished off with a replacement air snorkel, swine of a job to fit, but done now. Tomorrow I’ll mostly be doing the cam cover gasket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 4:10 PM, PL523i said:

Be careful re those ebay sellers from Eastern Europe Post brexit.. You might get stung with some extra customs tarrif from the courier. I'm not sure what the Lithuanian situation is though. 

The ballast arrived yesterday; was so excited I’ve changed it when it was dark and it works! No stamp or extra vat to pay. I guess you can trust eBay ratings. The question is how long will this ballast last... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

The ballast arrived yesterday; was so excited I’ve changed it when it was dark and it works! No stamp or extra vat to pay. I guess you can trust eBay ratings. The question is how long will this ballast last... 

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have xenon headlights on all my cars for nearly 10 years. Never had failed Hella balast, so it doesn't happen too often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed some grot in the channels alongside the tailgate today; a cursory poke around the rubber buffers halfway down showed them to be pretty blocked so I took off the two plastic covers inside the rear lights as well as the rubber trims on the bottom corners and across the lower lip.

 

It was minging - truly horrible - and I can remember giving it all the same clean last summer.

 

Touring owners need to do this on a yearly basis (unless they are garage queens like greenelektas) - you'll need a small torx to get the plastic covers off and a small toothbrush/paintbrush to brush all the crap out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, mines off now for the rear sills to be done. 

I was totally in 2 minds about what to do but I love the car so decided it would be worth spending the money on. Old favours from friends in the trade were called up on mind so hopefully it should turn out to be reasonable financially.

It's the only thing about the E39 that has had me worried in ownership since day 1, I'm fine turning a spanner for anything but welding...nah. If I had actually done some preventive works as soon as I bought it maybe I wouldn't be in this situation but  at least I know that now, all the rot will be cut out, new welded in and all protected with bilt hamber products that I will constantly stay on top of so in theory shouldn't have to worry ever again. As I know the people doing the work, I also haven't got to worry about the standard it's going to be done to.

All new brake pipes are being done at the same time in Kunifer, a nice little whilst you're in there job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the beast’s MOT doesn’t run out till 16th, so I’ve ordered the necessary for collection tomorrow.

The gear selector mech is in now, but may be intermittent to start in ‘P’. Let’s hope the other issues are sorted though as a result of replacing it.

Next is tyres and the usual suspension arm issue.  It now had a major service too, so should be ‘cooking on gas’ as they say!

R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another years MOT in the bag. Couple of advisories but nothing major.

 

- Front tyres will need replacing soon (after having both rear done recently and finding the new ones much quieter, I kinda look forward to getting the fronts done too. Never thought I'd want to spend £200 unexpectedly, but whatever).

- Front brake discs on their way out (time to look through old threads for recommendations!)

- Small oil leak, from either the sump plug (easy mode) or sump gasket (hard mode), I'm not sure which yet. Was aware of this last year whilst under the car doing something else. Cleaned up all around the sump, kept an eye on it for a while after, then forgot about it. Time to get back under there and see what's what.

 

Could have been worse :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Another years MOT in the bag. Couple of advisories but nothing major.

 

- Front tyres will need replacing soon (after having both rear done recently and finding the new ones much quieter, I kinda look forward to getting the fronts done too. Never thought I'd want to spend £200 unexpectedly, but whatever).

- Front brake discs on their way out (time to look through old threads for recommendations!)

- Small oil leak, from either the sump plug (easy mode) or sump gasket (hard mode), I'm not sure which yet. Was aware of this last year whilst under the car doing something else. Cleaned up all around the sump, kept an eye on it for a while after, then forgot about it. Time to get back under there and see what's what.

 

Could have been worse :)

 

ATE power discs and ATE ceramic pads; cannot recommend them highly enough

 

Great braking; very quiet, hardly any dust :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well well!

The brakes need replacing, as do the front suspension arms, (no real surprise there though), and it's getting new boots next week!

Are the 540 arms different to other E39's?

The reverse lights seem not to work either, which might be the gearbox controller or just the switch.

Onwards & upwards, as they say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

The brakes need replacing...

 

If you're looking to do them yourself, ECP have a discount code on their site valid until tomorrow which have cut my disc and pad order price by a considerable amount.

 

... But that's assuming that I am ordering the right size. I presumed that 324mm discs would be for the bigger wheels, and as mine is on 17inch rims thought I'd be a 296mm disc. However RealOEM shows 324mm, and researching online suggests that 324mm was standard for all models after the 2000 facelift? So that makes me think that I should have 324mm on my 2002, right?

 

I've yet to get a chance to take wheel off and measure for sure, but I'm pretty sure that I've got 296mm discs, from rough measuring through the wheel (yeah I know, not ideal), and the current discs only being being just over 20mm thick around the unworn edges further supports this as 324's appear to be 28-30mm thick.

 

need to get that wheel off and have a proper look ASAP!

 

 

 

 

Edited by Pzero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pzero said:

 

If you're looking to do them yourself, ECP have a discount code on their site valid until tomorrow which have cut my disc and pad order price by a considerable amount.

 

... But that's assuming that I am ordering the right size. I presumed that 324mm discs would be for the bigger wheels, and as mine is on 17inch rims thought I'd be a 296mm disc. However RealOEM shows 324mm, and researching online suggests that 324mm was standard for all models after the 2000 facelift? So that makes me think that I should have 324mm on my 2002, right?

 

I've yet to get a chance to take wheel off and measure for sure, but I'm pretty sure that I've got 296mm discs, from rough measuring through the wheel (yeah I know, not ideal), and the current discs only being being just over 20mm thick around the unworn edges further supports this as 324's appear to be 28-30mm thick.

 

need to get that wheel off and have a proper look ASAP!

 

 

 

 

Got the brakes, I'll do the pad change today.  Lemforder arms collect tomorrow!  Ouch, but Eurocarparts have a big discount code on them, got it down from £365, to £215.  Not too shabby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pzero said:

 

If you're looking to do them yourself, ECP have a discount code on their site valid until tomorrow which have cut my disc and pad order price by a considerable amount.

 

... But that's assuming that I am ordering the right size. I presumed that 324mm discs would be for the bigger wheels, and as mine is on 17inch rims thought I'd be a 296mm disc. However RealOEM shows 324mm, and researching online suggests that 324mm was standard for all models after the 2000 facelift? So that makes me think that I should have 324mm on my 2002, right?

 

I've yet to get a chance to take wheel off and measure for sure, but I'm pretty sure that I've got 296mm discs, from rough measuring through the wheel (yeah I know, not ideal), and the current discs only being being just over 20mm thick around the unworn edges further supports this as 324's appear to be 28-30mm thick.

 

need to get that wheel off and have a proper look ASAP!

 

 

 

 

 

02 525i will be 296mm discs up front, 298mm on rear IIRC

 

I 'think' it was only the 530i, 530d & 540i that got the 324mm discs up front

Edited by d_a_n1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

02 will be 324mm discs up front, 298mm on rear IIRC

Exactly what I thought it should be. But doesn't look like it is. Gonna have a wheel off after work tonight and find out for sure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×