stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

That's facelift ballast and bracket. Connector on top, I believe they are the same on pre-facelift car.

received_1940857502659769.jpeg

Thanks the ballast has got a different mounting bracket and same with bulbs so these won’t fit :( 

17 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Hella

C659E076-0F6C-440B-B76B-D26F1D4330B1.jpeg

Yes, the ballasts are OEM Hella, but it's the actual headlight we're trying to get to the bottom of. 

On the lense, there's markings at the bottom, what do they say etc? 

Cheers 

32 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Thanks the ballast has got a different mounting bracket and same with bulbs so these won’t fit :(

It's a d2s bulb in picture, so it must fit, it might look different, but it's maid for the same type bulb. 

Yes ballast bracket is different, but that's my meaning to get ballast with bracket then. And those are metal brackets, not plastic, so don't brake as easy.

I'm saying just as a one of solutions in case you struggle to find the same ballast as yours or price tag is over the moon.

FYI the xenon ballasts don't have to be attached to the back of the headlight. Even though I've got the brackets for mine, I've got the xenon ballasts velcro'd in place behind the headlight. There's bags of room

50 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yes, the ballasts are OEM Hella, but it's the actual headlight we're trying to get to the bottom of. 

On the lense, there's markings at the bottom, what do they say etc? 

Cheers 

Right, Cannot see any markings 

7D07C8A4-8724-473F-8ACA-3111599DE978.png

287ABDA9-2018-4554-928F-8CCEB00A7D3A.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Right, Cannot see any markings 

7D07C8A4-8724-473F-8ACA-3111599DE978.png

287ABDA9-2018-4554-928F-8CCEB00A7D3A.jpeg

Yeah, they're not OEM Hella sorry pal. 

But, it looks like the facelift xenon ballasts will fit, they just connect to the base of the bulb and slot on. 

Worth a try if you plan on keeping those headlights 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yeah, they're not OEM Hella sorry pal. 

But, it looks like the facelift xenon ballasts will fit, they just connect to the base of the bulb and slot on. 

Worth a try if you plan on keeping those headlights 

many thanks for all advice, managed to find one for £60 all in from Lithuania :) fingers crossed !

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

6 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

many thanks for all advice, managed to find one for £60 all in from Lithuania :) fingers crossed !

Be careful re those ebay sellers from Eastern Europe Post brexit.. You might get stung with some extra customs tarrif from the courier. I'm not sure what the Lithuanian situation is though. 

3 hours ago, Adrian1662 said:

Probably you could get facelift ballast in UK for 30ish pounds. 

So not done anything as such. 

I had been thinking of selling it but the paint is in such bad shape I'd provably take such a £ hit its not worth it.. 

I originally bought it as a Lockdown project so I'm thinking I might carry that on..

So.... Turbo? 

1 hour ago, PL523i said:

If only it stopped at £80 lol

Exactly:D Manifold probably will be cheaper than fabricating down pipe:D, plus loads of other things to buy and make, so it will cost a bit, but once you are through it, it will be nice sleeper. 

2 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Exactly:D Manifold probably will be cheaper than fabricating down pipe:D, plus loads of other things to buy and make, so it will cost a bit, but once you are through it, it will be nice sleeper. 

Not really a sleeper. It's a 523 so even if I get, say, 30bhp it takes me to a decent 528 lol

18 minutes ago, PL523i said:

Not really a sleeper. It's a 523 so even if I get, say, 30bhp it takes me to a decent 528 lol

Turbo will give more than just +30bhp. No point to invest ££££ for just 30bhp increase. 

At the same time, sometimes you just need to stop spending money and let it go.

Sometimes it's hard decision, but it's better to decide before starting - how far you will go, how good are your skills/knowledge for the planned work, and how much will it cost/how deep are your pockets. If you feel, the all those things are fine, only then proceed with buying parts. Otherwise you will end up trying to sell them year later for half the price. Typical unfinished project story.

Edited by Ray112

Oh yeah I agree. It's all something I'm weighing up. 

I have an understanding but no previous practical experience. And that's the point.. I'd like to learn from it. It owes me about £2k it will sell for about £1200 I suppose with a years mot? I dunno. 

Maybe you're right and I should cut it loose and spend the money on another car. 

I’ve retired now, and have a 34ft yacht I want to focus on, so I’ll be selling my 540i sport touring at the end of March.

It’s a shame to let it go, but at least it’ll have a full MOT to send it it’s way.

I confess I’ll be sorry to see it go. I’ve had some fun pissing a few boy racers off with it in the 4 years I’ve had it, but needs must. 

R

15 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

I’ve retired now, and have a 34ft yacht I want to focus on, so I’ll be selling my 540i sport touring at the end of March.

It’s a shame to let it go, but at least it’ll have a full MOT to send it it’s way.

I confess I’ll be sorry to see it go. I’ve had some fun pissing a few boy racers off with it in the 4 years I’ve had it, but needs must. 

R

What’s the difference between sport and non sport touring? Mine is 540i non sport but has got M5 steering wheel :)

Replaced rear brake pads and sorted out dodgy passenger side headlamp which turned out to be a bad earth connection as the 10mm nut wasn't tight. Removed both earthing brackets, cleaned up all the surfaces with wire wool and replaced. Sorted, finally. It only took me three months of phaffing, new headlamps,  bulbs and fuses.  

Now I can't get the exclamation mark light off even though I tried to reset with the brake pedal pushed, turn ignition to pos 2 procedure as it keeps coming back on.

1 hour ago, ttelracs said:

Replaced rear brake pads and sorted out dodgy passenger side headlamp which turned out to be a bad earth connection as the 10mm nut wasn't tight. Removed both earthing brackets, cleaned up all the surfaces with wire wool and replaced. Sorted, finally. It only took me three months of phaffing, new headlamps,  bulbs and fuses.  

Now I can't get the exclamation mark light off even though I tried to reset with the brake pedal pushed, turn ignition to pos 2 procedure as it keeps coming back on.

There's special process to reset brake pad warning light. Have a look on Google how to do it, I used YouTube video for education, when needed light resetting two years ago. 

1 hour ago, Adrian1662 said:

What’s the difference between sport and non sport touring? Mine is 540i non sport but has got M5 steering wheel :)

Sport has uprated suspension according to the original sales invoice I’ve got. Saves the wallowing effect that reportedly the  standard E39’s have. Mine is Double glazed as well. R

Edited by eleanorsskipper