stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

On 1/31/2021 at 8:14 PM, AdamB said:

Today I had a rare half hour to go out to the car whilst the wife took the kids for a walk round the park with Grandad.

finished fitting my vinyl wrapped interior trim, and experimented a little with some detailing cleaner / leather treatment.

question... are the doorcards leather or vinyl? I’m presuming the trim panel bit is leather? As is the stitched handle?

ive also started looking at my spare set of rear doorcards which I’ve now completely removed the pocket from (it was already hanging off) I’m going to clean off all the old glue from the doorcard then I think the secret to re-attaching will be to properly “key up” the contact areas on the pocket before re-gluing... gonna need a fair few little clamps for that job! After that a little contact adhesive under the top trim that’s coming away a little and I’ll have a reasonably decent set to replace the ones on there that seem to have some random overspray on them.

Hi guys, any input on the materials used? Are they genuine or faux?

Today noticed that little tray with sliding cover under armrest has a split in that cover. Is it separately replaceable or together with centre console only, maybe any ideas how to fix it? It's still in one piece, but if nothing has been done, it will go worse.

4 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Today noticed that little tray with sliding cover under armrest has a split in that cover. Is it separately replaceable or together with centre console only, maybe any ideas how to fix it? It's still in one piece, but if nothing has been done, it will go worse.

I don't think the cover is replaceable but the cubby with "shutter" is a replaceable part, I've seen them on eBay. 

Look at this on eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-5-Series-1995-2003-Center-Console-Storage-Box-Trim-Cubby-5116-8159698-/264996330926?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I replaced mine, but it’s going again.

I found out that you can disassemble it and I plant to do so & use black masking tape to repair it.

just a thought.

R

22 hours ago, PL523i said:

What did I do? Gave it a damn good run to my mums cos her battery died put her polo on the ctek overnight. 

I do enjoy my car, for the cheap, ratty hack that it is, it's sounds good and is just good cheap fun. 

Wish mine was. I get about 13 round the town!

9 hours ago, AdamB said:

Hi guys, any input on the materials used? Are they genuine or faux?

Quite how much is leather is car specific.  Mine has the extended heritage trim so the whole of the door card panel is leather covered, including the insert, handle and the door capping but to my knowledge the quilted centre panels on all cars where leather is fitted are also leather, to match the seats.  I believe that this will be leather in your car (although I'm happy to be educated if I'm wrong).

As for what I did for my own E39 today?  Well I ordered a replacement expansion tank to replace the yellowed original, to be fitted as part of the renovation work currently being undertaken.  It has always been a personal bugbear that M5 engine bays these days typically have a manky looking bit of plastic centre stage when you open the bonnet and I'll be pleased that mine will have a clean one.  First world problems...

1 hour ago, JonJon said:

As for what I did for my own E39 today?  Well I ordered a replacement expansion tank to replace the yellowed original, to be fitted as part of the renovation work currently being undertaken.  It has always been a personal bugbear that M5 engine bays these days typically have a manky looking bit of plastic centre stage when you open the bonnet and I'll be pleased that mine will have a clean one.  First world problems...

Been thinking of doing the same. Hope you don't mind me asking but where did you get buy it and how much? I have 02 M5 so assume same part.

2 hours ago, PL523i said:

I don't think the cover is replaceable but the cubby with "shutter" is a replaceable part, I've seen them on eBay. 

Look at this on eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-5-Series-1995-2003-Center-Console-Storage-Box-Trim-Cubby-5116-8159698-/264996330926?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Thanks, didn't know that you can get just that chubby out separately, good to know and thanks for replacement part link.

11 hours ago, gbrownings said:

Been thinking of doing the same. Hope you don't mind me asking but where did you get buy it and how much? I have 02 M5 so assume same part.

I can't answer with specifics I'm afraid, as it's been added to a (long) list of parts already ordered by the garage carrying out the refresh.  Part no. 17112228114 I believe, which is around £120.  If I was ordering myself I'd likely have done so via Cotswold BMW who are forum sponsors here and who have been quick to deliver and good on price when I've used them in the past.  

14 minutes ago, JonJon said:

I can't answer with specifics I'm afraid, as it's been added to a (long) list of parts already ordered by the garage carrying out the refresh.  Part no. 17112228114 I believe, which is around £120.  If I was ordering myself I'd likely have done so via Cotswold BMW who are forum sponsors here and who have been quick to deliver and good on price when I've used them in the past.  

Thanks, that's very helpful. 

Did thermostat, belts and pulleys last year for first time.. It's really not that bad. 

Easiest car i've ever done it on. 

Take your time,  have a cuppa handy. 

The only pain in the but for me was how long it took to bleed the air when refilling the coolant. 

Not done the oil filter gasket yet. Be interested to hear your thoughts. 

10 minutes ago, PL523i said:

Did thermostat, belts and pulleys last year for first time.. It's really not that bad. 

Easiest car i've ever done it on. 

Take your time,  have a cuppa handy. 

The only pain in the but for me was how long it took to bleed the air when refilling the coolant. 

Not done the oil filter gasket yet. Be interested to hear your thoughts. 

Thanks for the advice! Hoping it’s not too bad, I have bought a smaller torque wrench though as I understand it’s important to torque the OFH bolts to 22Nm being careful

not to pull the threads out of the block. 

I got both of mine mot’d! :D

the touring is pretty good, which I’m relieved about. It’s the first time I’ve had it on a ramp since I bought it in November. Sills were patched before I bought it, rear jacking points completely missing!

I’ve had a good look and its not pretty (although whoever did it was a very talented painter because the repainted areas have a perfect finish), there’s still rust on inner sill but there’s enough of the original metal left to be able to something with when the time comes. Rear jacking points will have to be replaced during this, one is pushed up into the door sill. Front jacking points showings signs of corrosion, and I know the front ends of sills have been “tidied”.

it’ll defo be a subframe & fuel tank off job to do properly. I’ll do full sills, and jacking points.

underside will receive attention where it needs it, subframe mounts have no sealer and surface rust where originals must’ve been burned out.

whilst there, I’ll take time to replace things like the fuel and brake lines as these are starting to corrode, and change some bushes etc, I noticed an exhaust rubber has gone for instance. I’ll also replace air suspension tanks whilst accessible, incase this is the culprit for my sinking o/s.

hoping to get this done later in the year, dependant on funds and lockdown etc. For now, car is solid enough.

couple of advisories for things like brake pads nearing limit, and a wobbly track rod end. My mate who did mot said it’d be worth changing front discs too, they’re pretty old/corroded. - what would you guys recommend for best replacement brands for the bits? From memory I used lemforder arms etc on my saloon. I’ve gone through a few sets of discs and can’t remember what we’re best.

as for the saloon... Sills aren’t pretty at all, but rest of car is still nice and solid, considering the 285k miles it’s now done.

I’ll be doing a few small bits to it, giving it a clean etc, then once lockdown ends, it’ll be up for sale. I’ll be really sad to see it go, but I’ll need the cash to put towards the touring resto.

my pile of parts to fit either when I get a chance, or when the resto happens is getting massive. I think shopping sprees with @cotswoldbmwmini and on eBay/Facebook has been my coping strategy with lockdown life. :blink:

15 minutes ago, 832ark said:

Thanks for the advice! Hoping it’s not too bad, I have bought a smaller torque wrench though as I understand it’s important to torque the OFH bolts to 22Nm being careful

not to pull the threads out of the block. 

Is your ofh actually leaking yet? 

14 minutes ago, PL523i said:

Is your ofh actually leaking yet? 

I’m not sure is the easy answer, there’s an oil leak which seems to cover the sump but it’s not 100% clear. Could be the OFH or the sump gasket. Sump is going to need a friend with a ramp so figured I’d do the OFH first, I’ve got no paperwork to suggest it has and it’s 140k miles old. 

52 minutes ago, 832ark said:

I’m not sure is the easy answer, there’s an oil leak which seems to cover the sump but it’s not 100% clear. Could be the OFH or the sump gasket. Sump is going to need a friend with a ramp so figured I’d do the OFH first, I’ve got no paperwork to suggest it has and it’s 140k miles old. 

Wash it all off and run it for a few days... You'll soon see the leak 

It will more than likely be leaking, they all do it... 

A £10 part but a faffy job... 

10 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Bloody fuel gauge lies!

That or there’s something seriously wrong with whatever level sensors there are!

Damn!!!!

The further under half a tank you get, the worse the reading 'in the morning'. 

Both sides of the tank have a fuel level sensor but only one is used for the gauge, the right hand side one.

When you park up, the fuel slowly finds its way to both sides of the tank. So, in the evening it could be showing say 1/3 of a tank, but when you get back in the morning it could be under 1/4 giving you a boing that you need fuel!

As the engine/fuel pump runs, it siphons fuel from the left hand side to the righ hand side. If you were to drive your car for a few minutes, the level will rise again and report the 'evening' level again. 

Why the gauge doesn't consider both gauges, I've no idea!

If you were to enter the secret, hidden 'service menu' and look at the sixth menu item, you can see the levels from both sensors. Have a look here for secret menu: 

All part of the fun :D

1 hour ago, ger said:

The further under half a tank you get, the worse the reading 'in the morning'. 

Both sides of the tank have a fuel level sensor but only one is used for the gauge, the right hand side one.

When you park up, the fuel slowly finds its way to both sides of the tank. So, in the evening it could be showing say 1/3 of a tank, but when you get back in the morning it could be under 1/4 giving you a boing that you need fuel!

As the engine/fuel pump runs, it siphons fuel from the left hand side to the righ hand side. If you were to drive your car for a few minutes, the level will rise again and report the 'evening' level again. 

Why the gauge doesn't consider both gauges, I've no idea!

If you were to enter the secret, hidden 'service menu' and look at the sixth menu item, you can see the levels from both sensors. Have a look here for secret menu: 

All part of the fun :D

Fuel gauge was real surprise when I bought my E39, I parked it last night with ~100 miles range left, no tank reserve light, next morning 50 miles range, which reduces rapidly even more for first ten minutes of driving, of course fuel reserve light on as well. Then after some time it starts to go back to normal. First I thought, someone has pumped fuel out of tank or there's a leak somewhere, but it's just the way those cars act when about quarter tank is left. Solution for this is to fill the tank. :D

Nowt... Watched it get wet :lol:

Hasn't moved now in nearly 7 days!

Realised the other day I've done 6k miles in the touring now; bought it at just over 89k miles, it's nearly done 95k! :roll: