stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

What have I done today? 

Driven it, quite a bit recently in fact. It passed its mot just before Xmas and we moved house just after so it's been very useful. Not had much time to spend on her though as we also had car trouble with our family car (2015 citroen picasso ) so have bought a 2002 Focus for the wife to get to work in and move the kids about if needed. The focus require a little tlc so the focus.. Has been my focus. 

Sadly though, the bmw's clutch is starting to slip. Am I right in thinking its a DMF on these? 

Edited by PL523i

12 minutes ago, PL523i said:

What have I done today? 

Driven it, quite a bit recently in fact. It passed its mot just before Xmas and we moved house just after so it's been very useful. Not had much time to spend on her though as we also had car trouble with our family car (2015 citroen picasso ) so have bought a 2002 Focus for the wife to get to work in and move the kids about if needed. The focus require a little tlc so the focus.. Has been my focus. 

Sadly though, the bmw's clutch is starting to slip. Am I right in thinking its a DMF on these? 

I'm not sure if it's dmf or smf, but anyway if it's not rattling, there's a good chance that nothing is working with it, so theoretically you can only replace pressure plate and spring+ release bearing, which will be cheaper option. Usually diesels are more affected to dmf issues due to high torque at low RPM's, n/a petrol engines are more friendly to clutch, than turbo diesels.

Cheers. Defo no rattle. 

I can get an LUK clutch kit for less than £100. It LOOKS as easy ish job but the only clutch I've ever done is on a 309 gti  abiut 18 years ago! 

Pzero,i,ll nip up to my Indy at the weekend when i,m home and try and find out for you.

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Don't forget that @jimmy has Cableshack and will offer you support in what you need and any issues you come across @Pzero

Aye, after ToughGuys suggestion, I did go straight to the cable shack forum to read up more about INPA et al, but from the look of it Jimmy hasn't posted here since October last year. There are a few unanswered posts there for him as well, and users saying they've emailed him. Not clear if they got a reply so not sure if Jimmy is still about?

@740mick Would be fantastic to know Mick, many thanks in advance. I want to get this roof sorted anyway, price quoted today wasn't unreasonable, but in the meantime this mysterious substance could be a brilliant stopgap!

Edited by Pzero

6 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Aye, after ToughGuys suggestion, I did go straight to the cable shack forum to read up more about INPA et al, but from the look of it Jimmy hasn't posted here since October last year. There are a few unanswered posts there for him as well, and users saying they've emailed him. Not clear if they got a reply so not sure if Jimmy is still about?

@740mick Would be fantastic to know Mick, many thanks in advance. I want to get this roof sorted anyway, price quoted today wasn't unreasonable, but in the meantime this mysterious substance could be a brilliant stopgap!

He's deffo active on the Facebook pages IIRC, so if you're on there, could be worth contacting 

Differential and (manual) gearbox oil change. I assume it's never been done before and the car's reached 140K miles lately. (Un)fortunately not done by myself since I've no tools and no place (and barely no motivation).

Replaced the missing aero aids in front of the rear wheels. A bit of OCD cleaning too.

Not been getting notifications from here for a long while now, best to email if possible, 

support@cable-shack.co.uk   usually answer as soon as im able.

Removed both inner rear light clusters; dried them (touch of condensation in the light bar section); the seals look to be in superb condition, but noted both were very easy to undo the bolts; so nipped them up tighter when refitted and gave them a polish too

Rear number plate plinth removed and refitted with the correct clips; rear number plate refitted with new mounting tape

It's bloody cold out there with a really biting wind; can't feel my hands now :lol: 

Edited by d_a_n1979

32 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Removed both inner rear light clusters; dried them (touch of condensation in the light bar section); the seals look to be in superb condition, but noted both were very easy to undo the bolts; so nipped them up tighter when refitted and gave them a polish too

Rear number plate plinth removed and refitted with the correct clips; rear humber plate refitted with new mounting tape

It's bloody cold out there with a really biting wind; can't feel my hands now :lol: 

My inner rear left light has started to show signs of condensation inside, nothing obvious from outside, so probably need to remove and inspect seals as well. But in this kind of weather I'm just passing it forward since early January when first noticed.

12 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Fired my V8 with dead battery with this power bank...

2C537B60-3611-454C-A5BC-0F8881F78FF3.jpeg

24FE280D-A835-498E-818D-5FD66FC5DF34.jpeg

I have a similar one, looks the same shape but has a different name.  Started my M5 without any issues when it had a flat battery after someone unplugged my CTEK charger.  Great to have in an emergency.

1 hour ago, RichardP said:

I have a similar one, looks the same shape but has a different name.  Started my M5 without any issues when it had a flat battery after someone unplugged my CTEK charger.  Great to have in an emergency.

Wouldn't be without mine. Its always in my touring apart from being topped up on charge every so often 

Yesterday I fitted the third replacement heater control panel.

This time from rotrip ad recommended by Dan 1979.  I fitted a new battery last week.  Definitely helps the car but didn't fix the misbehaving heater panel.

The heater panel was a bargain price as some buttons were missing.  No problem.  Swapped out with buttons from one of the three old ones.

Let's see of this one stops by heater panel switching on and off and displaying 75 degrees centigrade amongst other things.

23 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

Yesterday I fitted the third replacement heater control panel.

This time from rotrip ad recommended by Dan 1979.  I fitted a new battery last week.  Definitely helps the car but didn't fix the misbehaving heater panel.

The heater panel was a bargain price as some buttons were missing.  No problem.  Swapped out with buttons from one of the three old ones.

Let's see of this one stops by heater panel switching on and off and displaying 75 degrees centigrade amongst other things.

75 degrees?

Hell; that's slow roast temps :lol: 

Rust (re)treatment, step 1: looking very bad.

Obviously, the car had already had this issue since these same spots were already (and not very well) repainted. After removing paint fragments and treating rust, I won't be able to do much more yet, I'll need to wait a drier couple of days to recheck that the rust has been treated in depth and to start puttying it. But the final repainting won't be done by myself unless I want it to look bad definitely.

20210131_133205.jpg

20210131_133219.jpg

4 hours ago, Nick75 said:

Rust (re)treatment, step 1: looking very bad.

Obviously, the car had already had this issue since these same spots were already (and not very well) repainted. After removing paint fragments and treating rust, I won't be able to do much more yet, I'll need to wait a drier couple of days to recheck that the rust has been treated in depth and to start puttying it. But the final repainting won't be done by myself unless I want it to look bad definitely.

20210131_133205.jpg

20210131_133219.jpg

That second picture looks like rust has gone quite deeply inside metal, possibly even through it at some spots, so without cutting out rusted area and welding new metal back in, paintwork won't last long before next bubbles will appear. Of course pictures can give misleading view, but that's what it looks to me.

Thanks for you reply. Actually, I didn't remember it was so ugly when I treated it so the picture might mislead a bit indeed. But I'll sand it deeper and check that when possible.

Why is it that when one issue is sorted, another pops up?!

Now it’s the front door windscreen pillars. The bloody covering is coming off. Aargh.

Easy job to get them off & re-stick it I suppose. Just bloody cold weather and too much rain for working outside!!!!!

On 1/30/2021 at 4:30 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Rear number plate plinth removed and refitted with the correct clips; rear number plate refitted with new mounting tape

What did you polish them with?

4 minutes ago, AdamB said:

What did you polish them with?

Just Megs Ultimate Compound and waxed then with a Dodo Juice hard wax...

Mine are already very clean as they haven't faded like UK ones seem to do; but just gave them some TLC whilst they were out

Today I had a rare half hour to go out to the car whilst the wife took the kids for a walk round the park with Grandad.

finished fitting my vinyl wrapped interior trim, and experimented a little with some detailing cleaner / leather treatment.

question... are the doorcards leather or vinyl? I’m presuming the trim panel bit is leather? As is the stitched handle?

ive also started looking at my spare set of rear doorcards which I’ve now completely removed the pocket from (it was already hanging off) I’m going to clean off all the old glue from the doorcard then I think the secret to re-attaching will be to properly “key up” the contact areas on the pocket before re-gluing... gonna need a fair few little clamps for that job! After that a little contact adhesive under the top trim that’s coming away a little and I’ll have a reasonably decent set to replace the ones on there that seem to have some random overspray on them.

Edited by AdamB

24 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Why is it that when one issue is sorted, another pops up?!

Now it’s the front door windscreen pillars. The bloody covering is coming off. Aargh.

Easy job to get them off & re-stick it I suppose. Just bloody cold weather and too much rain for working outside!!!!!

What do you mean by 'front door windscreen pillars'?

9 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

75 degrees?

Hell; that's slow roast temps :lol: 

Sometimes it was only 65 degrees.  On the display only not actual heat coming out luckily .  Went out in the car today and new panel seems ok so far.

I think you were right.  If buying off ebay buy from a breaker not an individual.

Why would an individual have a spare one.