stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Replaced bonnet struts, replaced some under-bonnet trim/seals and fiddled with the bonnet springs etc.

bonnet now opens/closes and lines up pretty much as it should. - no need to buy new parts (yet).

Finally got the clamp bolt out of the upright or (carrier as they call in OEM), only taken about 3 days!

Me19ReS.jpg

P70LIdb.jpg

The nut came off no problem but the steel bolt was fused into the alloy. Still got the lump on my leg from when the head rounded off & socket slipped off. I tried welding nuts on to the threaded end, both just sheared off. Then had more fun drilling half of the high tensile bolt out before welding the angle onto the head to just get it to turn enough to persuade it out with an air chisel. 

Best part it nothing was wrong with this side, just thought I should change all the lower arms at the same time! 

Quite a lot of vibration on my drive home from work yesterday (key worker, before anyone lynches me), which I intended to investigate today. Didn't take long, rear nearside tyre flat as a pancake on the drive, too dark yesterday to have noticed it. Thought it odd that I could have driven at 15 miles at 70MPH like that and it not have been more apparent though.

Started pumping it up to see if it would take any air, whilst pump running had a look around it.

Wondered why there was a earthworm hanging off the back of the tyre?!

Oh. Ok. Wet and bent rusty nails look a bit like earthworms, when you can't see the head.

20210112_154504.thumb.jpg.851d152594a2b4f7fde56abddf61566f.jpg

That'll be the vibration then, and more likely to have gone flat overnight on the drive than having been driven home flat. Not holding air anymore either way. Oh well, was going to buy a new pair of rears before MOT anyway...

On the subject of rubber, I see that @Ray112 has just done an SLS air bag change? Not 100% sure but think one of mine might be starting to go. Not had a touring until now so not done before... How much of a job / faff was it Ray?

Edited by Pzero
Typo a-go-go

51 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Quite a lot of vibration on my drive home from work yesterday (key worker, before anyone lynches me), which I intended to investigate today. Didn't take long, rear nearside tyre flat as a pancake on the drive, too dark yesterday to have noticed it. Thought it odd that I could have driven at 15 miles at 70MPH like that and it not have been more apparent though.

Started pumping it up to see if it would take any air, whilst pump running had a look around it.

Wondered why there was a earthworm hanging off the back of the tyre?!

Oh. Ok. Wet and bent rusty nails look a bit like earthworms, when you can't see the head.

20210112_154504.thumb.jpg.851d152594a2b4f7fde56abddf61566f.jpg

That'll be the vibration then, and more likely to have gone flat overnight on the drive than having been driven home flat. Not holding air anymore either way. Oh well, was going to buy a new pair of rears before MOT anyway...

On the subject of rubber, I see that @Ray112 has just done an SLS air bag change? Not 100% sure but think one of mine might be starting to go. Not had a touring until now so not done before... How much of a job / faff was it Ray?

To be fair it's very simple. One bolt from underside of bag - 13mm spanner.

4 X 4mm alen key bolts to remove load anchors in boot floor, floor out, then it's two clips to remove, which holds top of bag attached to car and one clip to push TOGETHER to release air line connector.  (Yes, you need to push it together, it has split in opposite side, sharp nose pliers are perfect for this. Push clip together and pull copper connector up) Old bag out, new in and reverse process. About 30 minutes to an hour, it's quite simple and straightforward job. I spent around 2 hours in total, because one control arm needed replacing as well, and of course ball joint was seized with nut. Needed to drill nut in half to remove it. But those were original arms, nearly 18 years old and with 230k miles on them. Not bad for piece of aluminium.

By the way, after 3 weeks maxpeedingrods bag still holding air and keep car in level even if left undriven for couple days. So far very happy with £20 bag. 

Edited by Ray112

Fitted new thermostat housing and AUC sensor, nice fresh coolant too - final two codes to be cleared!

530i SE SAL

Oh and fitted new lenses to the headlights, wasn't too difficult but had to work my heat gun hard!

Paying £80 for a pair of aftermarket lenses from ebay worked out better than the hatchet job I did trying to sand and lacquer the old lenses...

After fitting the new airbags and setting the ride height as per @Ray112 measurements, all seems sound. Been sitting for a couple of days nice and level. Looks like the foxwell 530 does have the functionality to reset/adjust the ride height. @Pzeroif you don't already know you have to reset the ride height, not just reinflate the airbags after replacing. 

Mot time today and the car was filthy from the daily commute. 

Spent the morning in the pouring rain giving the old girl a good clean - I hate presenting a mucky vehicle for test - daft maybe, but that's just me!

Just got home - a clean bill of health with one minor defect:D

Time to celebrate......

IMG_1420.thumb.JPG.315243a0f5ad60a339177ef80a7816d8.JPG

CheersB)

3 minutes ago, Hippy said:

Mot time today and the car was filthy from the daily commute. 

Spent the morning in the pouring rain giving the old girl a good clean - I hate presenting a mucky vehicle for test - daft maybe, but that's just me!

Just got home - a clean bill of health with one minor defect:D

Time to celebrate......

IMG_1420.thumb.JPG.315243a0f5ad60a339177ef80a7816d8.JPG

CheersB)

Thats good news

Good ale too. Really glad they keep it full strength in the bottles. The canned stuff tastes crap IMO 

1 minute ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Thats good news

Good ale too. Really glad they keep it full strength in the bottles. The canned stuff tastes crap IMO 

I agree on all counts!!

Rare to be unhappy after giving the car a good wash, but then again I've never found a patch of failed lacquer until now. Didn't spot it at first, but after finding bits of it stuck to various parts of the car after jetwashing and not being able to figure out what these little pieces were, eventually discovered this on the rear roof.

20210117_120101.jpg.3f7104620ccb3e468422027bea65af29.jpg

It got bigger by the time I had finished as well (of its own accord as I steered well clear for the rest of the wash).

I've been fortunate enough throughout my entire motor life to not have had to deal with this before. Guessing nowt can be done to save it  / stop it spreading now it's gone and more can peel off? 

And in terms of repair, (again, not had any paint repairs done in my life!), is a proper respray job or is it possible for a suitable skilled bodyshop to repair just that lacquer coating?

11 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Rare to be unhappy after giving the car a good wash, but then again I've never found a patch of failed lacquer until now. Didn't spot it at first, but after finding bits of it stuck to various parts of the car after jetwashing and not being able to figure out what these little pieces were, eventually discovered this on the rear roof.

It got bigger by the time I had finished as well (of its own accord as I steered well clear for the rest of the wash).

I've been fortunate enough throughout my entire motor life to not have had to deal with this before. Guessing nowt can be done to save it  / stop it spreading now it's gone and more can peel off? 

And in terms of repair, (again, not had any paint repairs done in my life!), is a proper respray job or is it possible for a suitable skilled bodyshop to repair just that lacquer coating?

Respray that pal unfortunately :( 

It'll be in poor condition in other places too; so it'll need to be flatted back (I think) and then re-lacqured. Not sure if it'll need a full paint, any body shop will be able to tell you what needs doing... 

31 minutes ago, Pzero said:

We had same issue with Donnas red Audi last year,just one hand sized section on the roof which became apparent after a wash one weekend,

The following week i was at my local indy and asked the paintsprayer for a quote to paint the roof,anyway he came out had a look then disappeared back into the spray shop,came back out with a small tub and a cloth and rubbed something out of the tub onto the affected area,

The result was the affected area all but disappeared,he said it was laquer gel and would stop it getting worse until he could get it in,

That was 12mths ago now and you still can,t see the affected area and obviously with Covid i haven,t been able to get in in to be sprayed.

Cheers gents. Intended to talk to a bodyshop ASAP, just thought I'd see what the general consensus was. Good week this, what with tyres and now bodywork.

At least mechani... COUGH COUGH actually, better not jinx it.

2 hours ago, 740mick said:

laquer gel

Really intreated in this lacquer get you mention. Any ideas what this was called? Is it a cream or was it sprayed onto the cloth. I have some lacquer peel I did not stop getting worse on my off side wing

23 minutes ago, oberlointment said:

Really intreated in this lacquer get you mention. Any ideas what this was called? Is it a cream or was it sprayed onto the cloth. I have some lacquer peel I did not stop getting worse on my off side wing

No idea what it was called,the tub was not marked with anything,he just dipped the cloth in and rubbed over the affected area and it was totally transformed,

That was about 12mths ago now and after umpteen washes its never faded,in certain sunlight you can see a few swirl marks but nothing of the unsightly lacquer peel,

It was only meant as a temporary cover up but as i say with the current situation my indy has spent a lot of time closed so haven,t had the chance to get it sorted with a paint job.

Refitted my standard sport springs on the rear shocks as it simply sat too high at the back even on the B8's.  Just got to put the speakers and the rest of the interior back in the daylight as I wanted to get in to watch the Liverpool game, just about four and a half hours although plenty of stops to chat with neighbours etc so could have got this down to just under four if I hadn't stopped so often.

Baby needs a new pair of shoes. So she got 'em :)

tyrefitting.thumb.jpg.af0cca93578c7ae7116d46645f0201ee.jpg

Whilst out, stopped off at a bodyshop on the way back to get someone to look at my roof lacquer issue. They'd never heard of the miracle gel referred to by @740mick, and I can't find anything similar online. Would love to know what your indie was using, Mick!

Regardless, seeing as the 80's looking little stump of an antenna has to come off of the roof for a respray, wondering if anyone has retrofitted a shark fin or other such alternative. Will look into that.

Also, considering not putting the roof rails back on, having had a look at a few which have done a delete for them. Food for thought...

EDIT : OK, after reading around a bit I find out straight away that the roof antenna is (well, was) just for the car phone, which of course is long since gone and obsolete. Any replacement would be purely cosmetic as a result, and I think I'd feel a bit daft fitting a slightly prettier looking non functional antenna to replace another non functional antenna. Never mind!

Edited by Pzero

On 1/14/2021 at 10:58 PM, Neil o said:

@Pzeroif you don't already know you have to reset the ride height, not just reinflate the airbags after replacing. 

Thanks for that, if / when I do replace one, that would have been a show stopper to find out at the end. 

I don't have INPA, and I think my Creator 310+ only allows me to clear errors and lights etc, not change specific values. Bugger.

36 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Thanks for that, if / when I do replace one, that would have been a show stopper to find out at the end. 

I don't have INPA, and I think my Creator 310+ only allows me to clear errors and lights etc, not change specific values. Bugger.

It's well worth getting a cheap (ca £20)K/D-CAN cable and software, there's plenty on ebay and the software is easy to find. I've switched from DIS/SSS to using ISTA on my E39 (2001) as it plays nicely on my laptop. You can carry out all the service functions, resets, retrofit registrations etc etc and it's quite easy to navigate. INPA is also great for resets and diagnostics though and generally comes with most OBD cables being sold.

Edited by toughguyhuh

1 hour ago, Toughguyhuh said:

It's well worth getting a cheap (ca £20)K/D-CAN cable and software, there's plenty on ebay and the software is easy to find. I've switched from DIS/SSS to using ISTA on my E39 (2001) as it plays nicely on my laptop. You can carry out all the service functions, resets, retrofit registrations etc etc and it's quite easy to navigate. INPA is also great for resets and diagnostics though and generally comes with most OBD cables being sold.

Interesting, thanks. Was aware of INPA, but from what I recall, was under the impression (maybe incorrectly) that it didn't run properly on modern OS's and my last XP laptop died many years ago. I already run an XP VM for using TIS, but thought I heard / read (again, may well be wrong) that there were connectivity issues running INPA in VMs? Been ages since I even considered looking at INPA, so all of the above may well be misremembered b0ll0cks!

Not heard of ISTA until now though. A quick google regarding it suggests it's a pretty good swiss army knife for beemers. And if you're vouching for it in this thread, presumably it does everything it needs to with the older models such as our E39's?

If I'm working I'm at my desk PC, if I'm elsewhere in the house I invariably use a tablet, so I haven't powered up my Win10 laptop in years. Maybe it's finally got a use after all!

Edited by Pzero

I got a cable on Ebay which is switchable to allow you to work on older or newer BMWs. Search for

BMW USB OBD K + DCAN DIAGNOSTIC CABLE GT1 EDIABAS INPA DIS SSS NCS CODING ISTA

The seller sends two DVDs which have the software and their own "1-click" installer so it's really easy. You can find the cable cheaper and download the software free from many places but I didn't want to waste time and effort on it so this worked well for me. Just don't expect much in the way of support from the seller - I've had a couple of cables from them over the years and never received a reply to questions.

If there is one thing I've learnt with obd readers... Don't buy them on ebay! Bought 2,both clones (fakes). 

I mean they work but quality isn't great. Screens not aligned properly. Photocopied instructions, not upgradable. 

Won't do it again. 

Edited by PL523i