stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1 minute ago, Adrian1662 said:

Interesting. So you don’t need to raise the car up and only use that pump? Where do you dispose the oil?

No, its all drawn out via the dip stick tube :)

Oil goes into the container you can see and then its poured into the large tanks as the local waste disposal centre

3 hours ago, Adrian1662 said:

Tried to replace a D2S xenon low beam bulbs but retracted back... until it stops raining. Has anyone tried replacing the bulbs without the taking lamps out? They look like hex screws. Probably needs battery disconnected as well.

D0D06507-C3AC-4DDD-9826-2CF378D0FA3E.jpeg

B83FE21A-B720-4EAC-9463-650D329EE675.jpeg

Never seen xenon ballasts like these in E39. Are there pre-facelift headlights?

8 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Never seen xenon ballasts like these in E39. Are there pre-facelift headlights?

Yes 1998, pre facelifts... a special option on the car.

Car is alive again. Need to get it book jn for mot however, new issues (aren't there always) 

1)Aux fan kicks in and Is catching on something, makes a hell of a racket.

2) The poorly fitted front screen is leaking. There is no trim surround d and if I push the screen there is flex in the binding agent and water passes through. Will see if the windscreen coverage covers it otherwise will see if a local fitter can refit the windscreen.

We are moving house in 3 weeks, This needs doing sooner rather than later. 

23 minutes ago, PL523i said:

Car is alive again. Need to get it book jn for mot however, new issues (aren't there always) 

1)Aux fan kicks in and Is catching on something, makes a hell of a racket.

2) The poorly fitted front screen is leaking. There is no trim surround d and if I push the screen there is flex in the binding agent and water passes through. Will see if the windscreen coverage covers it otherwise will see if a local fitter can refit the windscreen.

We are moving house in 3 weeks, This needs doing sooner rather than later. 

Fan is rubbing against plastic front panel. There are two small plastic lugs, which bents or some how else gets deformed. That allows panel to start rubbing against electric ventilator fins. Actually quite common issues on E39. Solution is to put something behind those lugs, to push front panel away from fan. 

About windscreen, if you have windscreen insurance cover, in worst case you can always make it cracked (touch with hammer will do it)  and ask them to replace it. They won't get poorer from that.

20 minutes ago, AdamB said:

Guess what...

Double post? ;) 

Get this; works superbly and will stick the vapour barrier back down nicely 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-Narrow-Mastic-Sealing-Strip/dp/B00J0X1BUQ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=w4+mastic&qid=1608223652&sr=8-4

Not what I have done but what I will be doing tonight is changing the FSU... My blower fan has not worked intermittently for the last few trips out, and I'm rather hoping it is the FSU. considering I only ordered it yesterday it arrived this afternoon! And to be honest £35 for a Meyle unit and maybe an hour (I hope) of time is not a bad diagnostic process. I hope it's not the blower motor itself.

18 minutes ago, The Spooner said:

Not what I have done but what I will be doing tonight is changing the FSU... My blower fan has not worked intermittently for the last few trips out, and I'm rather hoping it is the FSU. considering I only ordered it yesterday it arrived this afternoon! And to be honest £35 for a Meyle unit and maybe an hour (I hope) of time is not a bad diagnostic process. I hope it's not the blower motor itself.

15mins

Good torch; some good yoga moves to get into the footwell; take the panel off (slide it back so you don't snap the fins that hold it into place) and you'll see the connection on the FUS; pull it out, swap them over and then test before you put it all back together :) 

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

15mins

Good torch; some good yoga moves to get into the footwell; take the panel off (slide it back so you don't snap the fins that hold it into place) and you'll see the connection on the FUS; pull it out, swap them over and then test before you put it all back together :) 

Unfortunately took me a bit longer than 15 minutes - the plug was stuck fast! Everything else went ok and I'm pleased to report that the fan now works again... 

I'm skilled in footwell yoga thanks to changing pollen filters on my E34 haha! 

Oh and I owe you thanks - I saw a post of yours from a couple of years ago when researching symptons that pointed to a supplier on Amazon of the Meyle FSU, which is the exact one I ordered! 

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Double post? ;) 

Get this; works superbly and will stick the vapour barrier back down nicely 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-Narrow-Mastic-Sealing-Strip/dp/B00J0X1BUQ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=w4+mastic&qid=1608223652&sr=8-4

Yeah, not sure, it posted once without the picture, I then edited and re-uploaded the pic and then it double posted.

ive actually got some new vapour barriers on order, although I think this was only replaced a year or two back... just not very well (again) or it’s been f***ed with (again)

i had the blower in the footwell warming/drying what I could, and the hair dryer warming the old seal and vb.

I actually had a roll of butyl rubber for this purpose in the garage, so have stuck it back down as best I can for now.

I’ll sort the new seals in the spring once I’ve got a bit more time and it’s a bit warmer (or I’ll do it in the workshop at work)

hopefully this might stop the deluge every time I open the back door

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Vapour barriers gone? 

Easy fix, just a sod when it's found too late :roll:

Tbh I was somewhat aware of if, but hoping it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Been opening the door each day to remove the sitting water under the lower door seal.

also been checking carpet and it’s always felt dry until today when there was a puddle on top of the rear floor mat!

I’ll have to pull it all out and dry it out when I get the other work done.

34 minutes ago, The Spooner said:

Unfortunately took me a bit longer than 15 minutes - the plug was stuck fast! Everything else went ok and I'm pleased to report that the fan now works again... 

I'm skilled in footwell yoga thanks to changing pollen filters on my E34 haha! 

Oh and I owe you thanks - I saw a post of yours from a couple of years ago when researching symptons that pointed to a supplier on Amazon of the Meyle FSU, which is the exact one I ordered! 

Super; glad you're all sorted :)

I must have it down to a tee then, or the connection hasn't been stuck for me at all. But still found pulling with clear with pliers is the best way; can get a decent grip then

On 15/12/2020 at 12:51, d_a_n1979 said:

New rocker gasket and all the other rubber gaskets/bolt gaskets done this morning :) 

Spotted a bit of damp on the rear corner above the exhaust mani and low & behold; it'd split! :mad: 

Gasket was only 18 months old too and Elring :roll: ; gone with Febi Bilstein this time around  

That doesn’t sound good, I’m waiting on a Elring turbo gasket set for my 335i :roll:

You’ve been having a lot of trouble with supposed good brands, I noticed, what I pain!

I need to do the lower front arms on our E39 soon, would you still recommend Meyle?

11 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

That doesn’t sound good, I’m waiting on a Elring turbo gasket set for my 335i :roll:

You’ve been having a lot of trouble with supposed good brands, I noticed, what I pain!

I need to do the lower front arms on our E39 soon, would you still recommend Meyle?

Think it's just been sods law pal. 

Never had issues with them before. 

But I've had issues with OEM BMW too, so it's been a full hand of issues :lol:

Yes I'd still recommend Meyle via BMWmotormec pal, them or Moog. Both as good as each other, just go for whichever suit your budget best :)

13 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Think it's just been sods law pal. 

Never had issues with them before. 

But I've had issues with OEM BMW too, so it's been a full hand of issues :lol:

Yes I'd still recommend Meyle via BMWmotormec pal, them or Moog. Both as good as each other, just go for whichever suit your budget best :)

Great thanks, the all the Meyle from BMWmotormec you recommend is still looking very good 30k miles & a couple of years later, I just had a good poke about with my MOT guy. Hence needing the front now! Glad he spotted the very slight play in one of the ball joints, I was wondering when to change it all. 

13 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

Great thanks, the all the Meyle from BMWmotormec you recommend is still looking very good 30k miles & a couple of years later, I just had a good poke about with my MOT guy. Hence needing the front now! Glad he spotted the very slight play in one of the ball joints, I was wondering when to change it all. 

Thats all I had but started to notice a wobble when braking, more so from speed. 

There was hardly any play either but still enough to cause issues 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Thats all I had but started to notice a wobble when braking, more so from speed. 

There was hardly any play either but still enough to cause issues 

I missed saying it was all the rear end I changed, I haven’t touched the front in the 7 or so years we’ve had it. I think it was done some time before we got it but I was wondering when to do it. The time is now! (Or at least as soon as I put the E93 back together)

It was ok under braking, unless you hit a bump, but was starting to feel like something needed doing.

16 hours ago, Andyrt200 said:

I missed saying it was all the rear end I changed, I haven’t touched the front in the 7 or so years we’ve had it. I think it was done some time before we got it but I was wondering when to do it. The time is now! (Or at least as soon as I put the E93 back together)

It was ok under braking, unless you hit a bump, but was starting to feel like something needed doing.

Mine was just completely random Andy...

Everything fine then all of a sudden, a slight wobble. 

Hard to find too as it just wasn't obvious 

Yours will be tight as a drum when you do the front end... 

Think the icing on the cake now for mine will be Eibach rear ARB upgrade and poly ARB bushes :)

On 12/17/2020 at 4:26 PM, AdamB said:

Guess what...

51947C51-16B3-4A2B-9EAE-4D6A9755FA7C.jpeg

Just an update, the temporary fix I did on the vapour barriers seems to be holding, and for the first time since I got the car it hasn’t dumped a load of water on my trainers.

Carpet feels much better for having the heater on it yesterday, gonna whack it in for a few hours over the weekend too.

Mine never felt wet until I pushed down hard on the carpet as the foam was saturated. It used to squelch up. 

Pulling that carpet up was a pain! 

Had a similar situation in my old 90's passat estate! That can ruin your Sunday lol

IMG_20161218_141550.jpg

Visited my parents yesterday (Friday).

No, wait a mo... haven't seen them since Feb, they had reason then to shelter etc etc; the year passes by, and - Dad, who had 2hr op last week, is fully recovered, also tested clear Monday;, so am I - and up until midnight, both in tier 2. And he's 81 today.

So while a window was open in a way for the first time in 9months & all fam happy with , took a 6hr round trip to spend the day with my parents, deliver/collect prezzies, all the good stuff.  Just lovely - however good zoom/facetime/etc is, it's not the same. Christmas early :)

The E39 bit? Oh , just ...using it, at what these lovely lovely cars in all their guises just do so well. Something about dependability with comfort, yet a quiet satisfaction too. Not used for a month, none the less - just fuel-up, ~300mile  round trip, give no real thought to it, quiet, comfy, safe& calm dispatch: fresh on arrival there, also got home 18hrs later... relaxed, having not had to really give a thought to transport - except realising, late -night, I was still really enjoying driving the thing, about an hour from home.

& I'd wish such comfort(s) to you all this season.