stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

20 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Annual hand brake adjustment in preparation for MOT - seems no matter how many times I do it it never stays adjusted for the full year!

Feels good but proof as ever will be on the brake rollers.

What i don't get is as a manual i use it ever day unlike auto's who can go one year to the next without!

Get some chocks for Christmas! 

12 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Annual hand brake adjustment in preparation for MOT - seems no matter how many times I do it it never stays adjusted for the full year!

Feels good but proof as ever will be on the brake rollers.

What i don't get is as a manual i use it ever day unlike auto's who can go one year to the next without!

I adjusted mine back in July 2019 before MOT, it was still holding on downhill before this year's MOT (but needed to be pulled really hard to hold car from rolling), thought I still adjusted it little bit. It didn't lock the wheels on rollers but forse measures were good enough to get through test. By the way mine is automatic, but I'm using handbrake every time when parking, just so it doesn't get stuck. For this year I believe new brake shoes will be need, because old one looks quite tired and i do have any idea when they been changed last time.

On 29/11/2020 at 10:02, Ray112 said:

I adjusted mine back in July 2019 before MOT, it was still holding on downhill before this year's MOT (but needed to be pulled really hard to hold car from rolling), thought I still adjusted it little bit. It didn't lock the wheels on rollers but forse measures were good enough to get through test. By the way mine is automatic, but I'm using handbrake every time when parking, just so it doesn't get stuck. For this year I believe new brake shoes will be need, because old one looks quite tired and i do have any idea when they been changed last time.

The shoes shouldn't really wear though they can come away from the backing plate i have found.

Before adjusting i give the drum a good going over with a flap wheel to clean it and rough it up and the shoes a quick rub over with some coarse paper then adjust as best i can!

I never managed to get one when they were first released or on those rare occasions when they pop up for sale second hand but today I've successfully pre-ordered one of the new issue E39 M5 1/18 models that Otto has just released ready for delivery in January, which should coincide with my car coming back from a restoration overhaul and respray.  Shame the model isn't Oxford Green to match!

(Not an easy site to navigate but for anyone else interested they're on the Otto-models.com site in the club section, which is free to join)

16 minutes ago, PL523i said:

Anything in particular? 

Just a bit of lacquer bloom on the drivers side lower wing and sill. 

It's reacted unfortunately after the work done a month or so back. A few other cars have done the same, so it's not just mine but an issue with that lacquer

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

^ Sounds like good money after bad, burn it....!

I'm battling to keep my tonced up shitter on the road... 

One more death trap out there... 

Watch out :mrgreen:

On 01/12/2020 at 10:14, d_a_n1979 said:

Dropped it into my pals body shop...

What for??

Scrub that, just read above!

Edited by Loadmaster

Touring collected; blemish all sorted :) 

Paintwork now, IMO, is as good as it'll ever be unless the remainder of the car got resprayed; which it won't do in my ownership ;) 

Used it for what a touring is meant to be used for...

tree.jpg

:mrgreen: :lol: 

5 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

No roots? that will be all over the living room floor by the 20th!

Nah; proper tree

A good Nordman fir; never had issues with them dropping needles at all :) 

On 04/12/2020 at 10:19, d_a_n1979 said:

Used it for what a touring is meant to be used for...

tree.jpg

:mrgreen: :lol: 

Oh the luxury! P*#ses me off that my saloon rear seats don’t fold down

49 minutes ago, TerryTibbs said:

Oh the luxury! P*#ses me off that my saloon rear seats don’t fold down

That's why I most likely will never buy another saloon as a main car again, since I've owned a touring. As second car yes, saloon, coupe, what ever will fit, but you need at least one estate car per household :D

1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

That's why I most likely will never buy another saloon as a main car again, since I've owned a touring. As second car yes, saloon, coupe, what ever will fit, but you need at least one estate car per household :D

My thoughts too... 

But we've the Racing Jazz :lol: So I may go back to a saloon if/when I sell the E39

More than likely an F01 7'er 

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

My thoughts too... 

But we've the Racing Jazz :lol: So I may go back to a saloon if/when I sell the E39

More than likely an F01 7'er 

That's actually quite amazing, how practical hatchback's are. Especially if you don't bother about marks in roof lining etc :D

Drove my M5 for the first time in ages today.  MOT on Tuesday and I need to solder a part of the side light wiring before then.  Was out in it today and the salt spreader went past chucking the devils doing everywhere! :( Will get a wash tomorrow to get the salt off for sure.