stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Reminds me of a Peugeot 309 we had - at some point the rear 3/4 had been painted for a parking nudge (old lady car which we knew from new - but she was a bit clumsy) washing it one day with a hose, not even a pressure washer, and the lacquer came off in a huge sheet :lol:

Car was cheap so wasn't a big deal.

59 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

MoT passed on 154k miles. 

Time for its running in service ;) 

I've removed the rear subframe from my 523 to give It a refresh, pressed in new bushes. whilst I'm in there there is some surface corrosion around the subframe mounts so I've wire brushed this back and treated it, I will then coat those areas in Waxoil. When I've put the rear end back together I plan to treat a little surface corrosion I found under the cill covers.

A nice slow burn project I have been plodding away at during covid restrictions.

That must have taken you some time? My mechanic said she does not want to touch the bushes in case the screws get stuck in the bushes. Did you have an easy job with it? How did you manage to lift the car btw...

6 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

That must have taken you some time? My mechanic said she does not want to touch the bushes in case the screws get stuck in the bushes. Did you have an easy job with it? How did you manage to lift the car btw...

Which bushes?

I've done my current touring and my 1st 530i back in 2014 and had zero issues with either...

Maybe try and find a new mechanic; the subframe bushes with the correct tool really aren't that hard!

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Which bushes?

I've done my current touring and my 1st 530i back in 2014 and had zero issues with either...

Maybe try and find a new mechanic; the subframe bushes with the correct tool really aren't that hard!

Rear ones. Yeah suppose it was his mumbo jumbo to justify repair price. They don’t need changing yet.

5 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

Rear ones. Yeah suppose it was his mumbo jumbo to justify repair price. They don’t need changing yet.

You hope that ;) 

It's hard to tell until their out; mine looked fine, until they were removed and the front ones had split

bush5.jpg

Deffo don't take it for granted :) 

21 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Painter thought something had been spilled on the roof to cause it.  It was like that in several places.  I'm not so sure.

I think what's happen wind with mine is some has been a naughty boy. It has has white paint thrown over it and then resprayed. The blood has bad paint on it including rotational scuff marks on the rearr glass where a disc had gone against it. Bonnet looks like it seen walked on as cracked paint. It's weird. Shame it's that colour green as I can't find any others to donate their panels. 

It’s the 4 subframe bushes I’m referring to, not too hard to remove with the subframe out of the car... not sure what your mechanic is referring to? 

it’s taken me ages to do! But the car is in the garage for the winter and it’s a hobby. I got the car in the air by driving the front onto ramps and then axle stands on the rear jacking points 

10 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

You hope that ;) 

It's hard to tell until their out; mine looked fine, until they were removed and the front ones had split

bush5.jpg

Deffo don't take it for granted :) 

They showed me car shaking on MOT ramp and passed with advisories only :) 

5 minutes ago, Adrian1662 said:

They showed me car shaking on MOT ramp and passed with advisories only :) 

Nah; don't take their word for it.

Mine didn't budge when they were prodded etc; but look at them when they were removed! 

Ordered new tyres for my E39 - Michelin Pilot Sport all round and also getting a new pair of the same for the rear of the E34. Got an excellent deal through Halfords/Tyres on the Drive as they had competitive prices to start with and the BF15 code gives another 15% off.

Before you ask, the E39 passed the MoT ok today but you only need 1.6mm over 75% of the width to pass an MoT - the E39 tyres were down to a gnats knob above 3mm and the E34 rears just below. 

Changed leaking cam cover gasket and tried to repair a crack in the cam cover itself which I think has corresponded with the rough running like an air leak on tickover and the smell over oil when running.  Also swapped out the rubber washer things which were very inflexible and well past their best. This is the third time I've done this job now and got it down to about 90 mins all in.  If the crack isn't fixed and goes again, I'll look to get the metal version.

Cam Cover off.jpg

Cam Cover Rubber.jpg

Cam Cover.jpg

Yesterday was a good day, dry for the better part so spent the day washing and polishing the babies. 

Let's hope today is equally as good because the 535i has its MOT, first time i've driven it since March because of lockup it simply stayed at home.

Had to fit some new rear discs though as the standing around did them no favors plus it was an opportunity to fit some nice Brembo slotted discs and pads.

IMG_0389.thumb.JPG.65e82c74d9ebc41aa3ded9f3947722a4.JPG

IMG_0390.thumb.JPG.acf6f1d903d5b51741140bc427692328.JPG

Stumbled from one problem to the next

Reapplied butyl tape to the rear door panel and tried to dry carpets as best I could. 

Finished the Coolant bleed and started the car for the first time in a about a month or so. Was a rattly cold start. 

Snapped the bonnet release cable. 

I can "pop" the bonnet but not release the latch. So I think it's the cable between the 2 latches. Any ideas? 

Edited by PL523i

YES, never a doubt :wink: another MOT down with only an empty washer bottle, School boy error!

Tax next but waiting until Dec 

Edited by Captain Beaky

Swore at it and myself lots whilst trying to remove the rear hub from the drive shaft.

Seized so tight it snapped my puller.

Also reminded myself to not make decisions with my heart over my head!

Decided to inspect and clean rust around touring boot lid today. Not too bad actually. Most common places are around rubber wiring bungs in corners. It was just surface rust there, which is treated now and should be stopped from spreading for some time. Definitely not the worst touring boot lid I have seen rust wise.

IMG_20201122_120022.jpg

IMG_20201122_120011.jpg

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of ( barely) used Eibach Pro-kit front springs for sale on Evilbay.

These will be part of a complete front suspension upgrade / refresh.

A big heads up to @d_a_n1979 for some advice on these springs - cheers fella!;)

1 hour ago, Hippy said:

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of ( barely) used Eibach Pro-kit front springs for sale on Evilbay.

These will be part of a complete front suspension upgrade / refresh.

A big heads up to @d_a_n1979 for some advice on these springs - cheers fella!;)

Pictures of it all done or it never happened ;)

On 22/11/2020 at 15:56, Pete Soulby said:

Swore at it and myself lots whilst trying to remove the rear hub from the drive shaft.

Seized so tight it snapped my puller.

Also reminded myself to not make decisions with my heart over my head!

Did mine recently - lots and lots of penetrating fluid a couple of days before, then after I loosened all the really awkward bolts that hold the hub assembly to the wheel carrier I twatted it with a hammer (I was lazy and bought a new hub assembly - I knew the job of the wheel bearing would be bad enough without adding extra jeopardy!) and it fell off.  

Like you there was also lots of swearing, and my shoulder still hurts from where I managed to lower the car on it...

Edited by The Spooner