stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

36 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

Sorry to hear other people have had puddles in their cars - I have too.

Sudden absolutely drenched passenger footwell carpet and mat, so I checked the door vapour seal - all good and watertight. Then I thought it might be the windscreen seal/trim which had seen better days and I'd already bought - so I replaced it - no bloody different.

So then I fiddled and fecked around with the pollen filter bits and bobs - no bloody different.

So today I started taking the glovebox out and other bits of trim out and I eventually tracked it to the sunroof drain - a very easy fix with a long skinny tie wrap but not before I'd run away on a wild goose-chase.

*Top tip for checking sunroof drains - only pour water in the very outermost channel and if/once that appears blocked - STOP. Pour any more in and it will overflow into the next little channel inboard which has a wonderfully easy route into the car and the headlining, running down the A-post and convincing you there is problem under the headlining with the connector to the sunroof drain - there isn't - you've just created too big a puddle.

All buttoned back up now (no screws left over - phew) as well as oil, oil filter, air filter change last weekend to prepare it for an MoT this week. Nearly 160k miles on it and when it all works it is a lovely car, but bloody hell, E39's are so easy to go wrong.

windscreen trim can't be a cause for water leaks in cabin. Windscreen is bonded with mastic to chassis and even without trim around windscreen, it still must be watertight inside. But good you found actual cause of issue and sorted it. 

43 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

it is a lovely car, but bloody hell, E39's are so easy to go wrong.

The trouble is Kevin you have too many cars to maintain, happy to take one off your hands so you can get to know your E39 a bit better :)

Edited by BarryM

32 minutes ago, PL523i said:

I'll order that butyl tape tonight and tackle it later in the week.

Will I need any spare trim clips etc? 

Not always, but if they are never replaced, plastic might be hard and snapping easily, so spare clips might be handy. They are cheap on eBay

5 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Not always, but if they are never replaced, plastic might be hard and snapping easily, so spare clips might be handy. They are cheap on eBay

As Ray said they can snap, but if you pry off the door card carefully, they should be ok. They are quite hardy compared to some of the other clips...

A decent trim removal kit/tool comes in very handy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TR-TOOLROCK-Modification-Installation-Terminal/dp/B089LYQCK5/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=WDB59TRUK8JZ&dchild=1&keywords=car+trim+removal+kit&qid=1605557082&sprefix=Car+trim%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExS1JJQ0tNVVY1WTZZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzE5ODIxMk0yWlYySU5aMk1WOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzM2MDI5MjlDNkxBOTc3RjNXRyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The removal pliers are superb and let you use sensible force rather then brute force ;) 

Theres a screw in the door handle (T20 IIRC)  that needs to be removed and then the rest just ‘pops’ off and up. There is a central clip though that generally needs a good yank to release it.

The key is, IMO, the prep of the mating surface for the new tape; getting rid of the old stuff is paramount really, otherwise it’ll just do it again and it’ll be too late before  you notice... 

+1 vote for buying a pack of trim clips in advance, I broke one whilst doing mine, and found two already broken by previous owner. Couple of quid.

Also, word to all who notice the puddle of doom signifying failed barrier - get it done sooner rather than later, because the inside of these door cards rots and breaks apart after too long being damp. Picture below is mine when I took it off a month after buying the car and finding that the barrier must have failed sometime ago, not just after I bought the car (previous owner must have known and hairdryer'd the rear carpet, it was rainy season when I bought it!)

20181130_162155.thumb.jpg.d3a64c37cf091e1e7f3b5b435d9b7284.jpg

I'll say nothing about also finding that the butyl around some of the barrier previously had been removed and the barrier reaffixed with sikoflex at somepoint in its past >:(

Edited by Pzero

5 minutes ago, PL523i said:

What type do they use please? 

Part number is 51411973500. Google / ebay / amazon that. 

Here, 10 for less than a pint.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-DOOR-CLIPS-CARD-TRIM-PANEL-INTERIOR-E34-E36-E38-E39-E46-3-5-7-series/190691842905?hash=item2c661e9b59:g:HaIAAOxyZw5RZGYf

Edited by Pzero
Changed link from AMazon to ebay - didn't realise delivery time on my first example meant they must have been being shipped form the Moon.

49 minutes ago, BarryM said:

The trouble is Kevin you have too many cars to maintain, happy to take one off your hands so you can get to know your E39 a bit better :)

You really don't Barry; after so many years of everything working I seem to be in the opposite of a purple patch - I do a lot myself but Mr Shannon will be having the pleasure of at least two of my cars shortly.

11 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

As Ray said they can snap, but if you pry off the door card carefully, they should be ok. They are quite hardy compared to some of the other clips...

A decent trim removal kit/tool comes in very handy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TR-TOOLROCK-Modification-Installation-Terminal/dp/B089LYQCK5/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=WDB59TRUK8JZ&dchild=1&keywords=car+trim+removal+kit&qid=1605557082&sprefix=Car+trim%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExS1JJQ0tNVVY1WTZZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzE5ODIxMk0yWlYySU5aMk1WOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzM2MDI5MjlDNkxBOTc3RjNXRyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The removal pliers are superb and let you use sensible force rather then brute force ;) 

Theres a screw in the door handle (T20 IIRC)  that needs to be removed and then the rest just ‘pops’ off and up. There is a central clip though that generally needs a good yank to release it.

The key is, IMO, the prep of the mating surface for the new tape; getting rid of the old stuff is paramount really, otherwise it’ll just do it again and it’ll be too late before  you notice... 

When you say screw in door handle, I'm trying to remember, but I believe I didn't have any screws in handles. Only two screws I remember so far were on front door cards inside vent slot. By the way very easy to forget as break through. Door handles were going on with clips on mine. 

Just understood what handles you talk about, little shiny ones you pull to open the doors, I thought about big pull handles to close the door. Mondays are never easy:D

Edited by Ray112

2 minutes ago, sharkfan said:

You really don't Barry; after so many years of everything working I seem to be in the opposite of a purple patch - I do a lot myself but Mr Shannon will be having the pleasure of at least two of my cars shortly.

I can only manage to look after one BMW (although son’s Focus keeps me entertained given how little mechanical sympathy he has)! I’ve seen some of your handiwork so know how competent you are, at least your fleet is in good hands with Lee on stand-by!

6 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Just understood what handles you talk about, little shiny ones you pull to open the doors, I thought about big pull handles to close the door. Mondays are never easy:D

Aye, the one under that fiddly bastard little round cover which I always drop every time (levering out and pushing back in again).

Edited by Pzero
Typos ahoy

49 minutes ago, PL523i said:

Lots of responses. Thanks all and as usual to @d_a_n1979for the amazon links.. You need to get some affiliate schemes sorted out. And @Pzerofor the pictures

Thanks all.

Haha wish I could pal; but it's a good source of stuff like that, as is eBay for the usual trusted sellers etc

I know they all want us to shop local, but you just can't these days, more so for stuff like this!

General motorfactors are good; but very 'general' 

1 hour ago, Pzero said:

+1 vote for buying a pack of trim clips in advance, I broke one whilst doing mine, and found two already broken by previous owner. Couple of quid.

Also, word to all who notice the puddle of doom signifying failed barrier - get it done sooner rather than later, because the inside of these door cards rots and breaks apart after too long being damp. Picture below is mine when I took it off a month after buying the car and finding that the barrier must have failed sometime ago, not just after I bought the car (previous owner must have known and hairdryer'd the rear carpet, it was rainy season when I bought it!)

20181130_162155.thumb.jpg.d3a64c37cf091e1e7f3b5b435d9b7284.jpg

I'll say nothing about also finding that the butyl around some of the barrier previously had been removed and the barrier reaffixed with sikoflex at somepoint in its past >:(

On my previous sapphire black 530i; there was a mushroom growing on the inside of the doorcard, I kid you not :lol: 

10 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

On my previous sapphire black 530i; there was a mushroom growing on the inside of the doorcard, I kid you not :lol: 

I can believe it. That black bit at the bottom of my pic had the consistency of a weetabix after 10 minutes in the milk. Hairdryer and left it overnight to dry fully, then reinforced it on the inside, good as new now (well, from the outside, Frankenstein nightmare on the unseen inside!)

before i do somethign stupid or unnessary, any advise how to lift up the rear carpets? ive removed the rear bench , are the carpets jsut atached under the plastic by the door treads?

passanger rear carpet is "squelchy". i want to lift the carpet and get something down to soak it up. is there a drainage bung or similar?

ta, as always 

22 minutes ago, PL523i said:

before i do somethign stupid or unnessary, any advise how to lift up the rear carpets? ive removed the rear bench , are the carpets jsut atached under the plastic by the door treads?

passanger rear carpet is "squelchy". i want to lift the carpet and get something down to soak it up. is there a drainage bung or similar?

ta, as always 

Sill trim cover off and then it'll peel off that way. It can be quite stiff, so a firm pull will be needed

Have a wooden block etc to prop the carpet up

If you really want to get it all up; it's seats and centre console out

4 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

If you really want to get it all up; it's seats and centre console out

I hope not, the front of the car is up in the air so I hope just at the back and hand wicked up the carpet to the front. 

Thanks

@PL523i I forgot to mention - Whilst you are at it with the door, good time to check the drain holes in it as well. Don't have a picture of them, but on the underside of the door, as I recall one at the front corner on the underside, another further back. Pair of little slits which it doesn't take much to block. Found that they were clogged when I did my barrier.

Easier to spot from outside / underneath, get on your back under the open door and you'll find them. Stick something in them whilst you are there.

46 minutes ago, PL523i said:

I hope not, the front of the car is up in the air so I hope just at the back and hand wicked up the carpet to the front. 

Thanks

That's fine then, just pull it away as far as you can and use a block to keep it in place etc :) 

58 minutes ago, Pzero said:

@PL523i I forgot to mention - Whilst you are at it with the door, good time to check the drain holes in it as well. Don't have a picture of them, but on the underside of the door, as I recall one at the front corner on the underside, another further back. Pair of little slits which it doesn't take much to block. Found that they were clogged when I did my barrier.

Easier to spot from outside / underneath, get on your back under the open door and you'll find them. Stick something in them whilst you are there.

Thanks,  to clarify... Drain holes in the door or the floor? 

And here's my car feeling sorry for itself with offending aforementioned lacquer peel

IMG_20201117_131346.jpg

IMG_20201117_131356.jpg

Edited by PL523i

In the very bottom section of the door FYI; along the same lines of where the puddle lights are

4 hours ago, PL523i said:

Thanks,  to clarify... Drain holes in the door or the floor? 

And here's my car feeling sorry for itself with offending aforementioned lacquer peel

IMG_20201117_131346.jpg

IMG_20201117_131356.jpg

I had that on the roof of my silver sport touring and had it repainted a year and a half ago together with the roof rails and three of the rusty wheel arches one of which needed welding.  It cost quite a bit all in not sure how much was the roof.  Painter thought something had been spilled on the roof to cause it.  It was like that in several places.  I'm not so sure.