stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Another clean sheet MOT pass at 42,174 miles, 1999 miles since the previous test on the same day last year.

Doing well for a tonced up shitter... :rolleyes:

Amended for you :mrgreen:;):lol: 

Had Autoglass round to re-do a windscreen they did for me in Feb, which was complained about in April due to wind noise. Speedy. This time around looks better by eye straight away, top edge wasn't sitting right before. Proof is in the pudding of course, but got to wait for it to bond before can give it a test run.

But of greater interest to me, was the discovery of a new mobile lake, located in my engine bay. They were refitting the cabin filter airboxes after doing the screen, when something caught my eye. Under the driver side airbox is brake cylinder which is good and dry, but the passenger side -  I believe (thanks Google) that the large white plastic box under the passenger airbox is a fuse / wiring housing - has it's own moat. If there is a drainhole in that enclosure, it's proper blocked. Told them to leave that airbox off and once they had gone I syphoned out almost half a litre of water, and still some at the bottom I can't reach with my trusty turkey baster.

Hmm. This electrical box does not look like an easy thing to remove to clear those drain holes. I see online suggestions of clearing the holes from underneath i.e. inside the wheel arch, but all that's going to do is push blockages back into that enclosure for them to drift back into the drain holes in time. Removing this control box would allow me to clear out whatever crap (probably leaves) is clogging up the enclosure it sits in, but does not look like an easy job given the amount of wiring in/through it. 

Anyone else had - and resolved - this satisfactorily?

I just hope that my test drive tonight is suitably wind noise free or today is going to end badly.

Edited by Pzero
Google identified this previously unknown mystery box for me :)

1 hour ago, Pzero said:

Had Autoglass round to re-do a windscreen they did for me in Feb, which was complained about in April due to wind noise. Speedy. This time around looks better by eye straight away, top edge wasn't sitting right before. Proof is in the pudding of course, but got to wait for it to bond before can give it a test run.

But of greater interest to me, was the discovery of a new mobile lake, located in my engine bay. They were refitting the cabin filter airboxes after doing the screen, when something caught my eye. Under the driver side airbox is brake cylinder which is good and dry, but the passenger side -  I believe (thanks Google) that the large white plastic box under the passenger airbox is a fuse / wiring housing - has it's own moat. If there is a drainhole in that enclosure, it's proper blocked. Told them to leave that airbox off and once they had gone I syphoned out almost half a litre of water, and still some at the bottom I can't reach with my trusty turkey baster.

Hmm. This electrical box does not look like an easy thing to remove to clear those drain holes. I see online suggestions of clearing the holes from underneath i.e. inside the wheel arch, but all that's going to do is push blockages back into that enclosure for them to drift back into the drain holes in time. Removing this control box would allow me to clear out whatever crap (probably leaves) is clogging up the enclosure it sits in, but does not look like an easy job given the amount of wiring in/through it. 

Anyone else had - and resolved - this satisfactorily?

I just hope that my test drive tonight is suitably wind noise free or today is going to end badly.

That box has ECU and other important things in it I believe. And there is drain hole. Like towards front wing, you don't need to remove relay/ECU box to access it.

I had a similar issue and I ended up blasting it out with a drain cleaning attachment on a pressure washer. I remember when I removed the arch liner in the past I noticed some leaves and debris which I pulled out and all of a sudden water started flowing non stop.  It made a huge mess on the workshop floor. 

1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

Solution to this is cleaning leafs out of plenum area at least once a month in autumn period.

Well, that's prevention rather than solution when it's already flooded... ;)

Always remove leaves when I see them in passing or during regular washes, this is either a build up of leaves which have slipped down the back over a while, or leftovers from previous owner (or of course one single bastard leaf on it's own which happens to be right across the drainage hole, knowing my luck).  Given the amount of water in there, the water ingress must be slow or given recent rains, would have flooded right the way up the airbox before now. 

Whatever it is, that's my job for the weekend sorted then...

1 hour ago, Pzero said:

Well, that's prevention rather than solution when it's already flooded... ;)

Always remove leaves when I see them in passing or during regular washes, this is either a build up of leaves which have slipped down the back over a while, or leftovers from previous owner (or of course one single bastard leaf on it's own which happens to be right across the drainage hole, knowing my luck).  Given the amount of water in there, the water ingress must be slow or given recent rains, would have flooded right the way up the airbox before now. 

Whatever it is, that's my job for the weekend sorted then...

Most likely it's just build up over years, I noticed little bit of water there last year. Cleaned drain hole and so far all dry. I will try to make picture tomorrow morning where that hole is. But it's easy to guess, just look for lowest spot.

That would be great if you could Ray, I can hardly fit by baster down the sides of that leccy box, let alone see anything clearly in there. Pointing me in the right direction would save some time and probably some swearing.

I was lucky. The front wheels on on bricks. The oil all went to the back and the only carpet damage is to the cd multilayer carpet cover. 

And with a rear muffler delete its not going to burn off. 

Edited by PL523i

On 12/11/2020 at 16:17, Pzero said:

That would be great if you could Ray, I can hardly fit by baster down the sides of that leccy box, let alone see anything clearly in there. Pointing me in the right direction would save some time and probably some swearing.

Had a look today and that white box is bigger than I thought it was. (About year around since last time I looked at it) Basically drain hole is at very bottom, you can reach it with something long (I used bicycle spoke ) and  push through, once water will start to flow through, it will wash away rest of dirt. 

I really thought that box was smaller, but it takes nearly all area under pollen filter. 

16 hours ago, Ray112 said:

I really thought that box was smaller, but it takes nearly all area under pollen filter. 

Cheers Ray, appreciate you taking the time to have a look. 

Now that you've seen / been reminded how big the box is and how little space there is around it, don't suppose you recall which side of it / whereabouts the drain hole was, to attack with appropriate long thin pointy thing?

13 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Cheers Ray, appreciate you taking the time to have a look. 

Now that you've seen / been reminded how big the box is and how little space there is around it, don't suppose you recall which side of it / whereabouts the drain hole was, to attack with appropriate long thin pointy thing?

It was towards outside, like in-between box and front wing, at the lowest point. If you remove wheel and arch lining, you will see like little notch between two metals, that's where water is meant to go through. You can push blocked dirt through with some thin hard wire, if remember correctly, hole was about 2 mm wide. 

Resurrected my windscreen washer. The pumps all sounded ok, the nozzles seemed clear, so took off wheel, arch liner and then the pump to find the filter bunked  up. Cleaned off and all was well, until the clear silicone pipe connecting the nozzles blew off! Tie wraps deployed and now all seems fine.

New charger arrived today so put the car on charge. whislt i was there I noticed that there was condensation inside the car. never a good sign. 

The car isnt quite level  (front on bricks) when i opened the back doors, quite a bit of water came out from under the back doors. carpets seem a little damp  but not WET as such. Any suggestions where to check? rear door panel membranes? 

Sadly, when the car is mot'd i think im going to have to sell her despite spending about £750 on her.

Shes going to need paint etc and thats a rabbit hole i cant afford to jump down.

12 minutes ago, PL523i said:

New charger arrived today so put the car on charge. whislt i was there I noticed that there was condensation inside the car. never a good sign. 

The car isnt quite level  (front on bricks) when i opened the back doors, quite a bit of water came out from under the back doors. carpets seem a little damp  but not WET as such. Any suggestions where to check? rear door panel membranes? 

Sadly, when the car is mot'd i think im going to have to sell her despite spending about £750 on her.

Shes going to need paint etc and thats a rabbit hole i cant afford to jump down.

Vapour barriers are failing; so rear door cards off, remove the lower vapour barrier (use a hair dryer to soften the old butyl tape); scrap this clear and use WD40 to remove residue; replace the tape with something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-Narrow-Mastic-Sealing-Strip/dp/B0036APFJM/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3S4YOJI24FIRI&dchild=1&keywords=w4+mastic+sealing+strip&qid=1605531353&sprefix=w4+ma%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-6

Put the vapour barrier back onto the tape and then press it firmly to spread the tape and create a decent seal. Door cards back on, all done :) 

Re selling; unless you REALLY have to sell it as you need the funds etc; keep hold of it and enjoy it :) The 523i is about the least sought of the E39s, so you may find it hard to sell or you may not get a lot for it etc... If the bodywork isn't desperate, use it and do what you can, when you can

Edited by d_a_n1979

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Re selling; unless you REALLY have to sell it as you need the funds etc; keep hold of it and enjoy it :) The 523i is about the least sought of the E39s, so you may find it hard to sell or you may not get a lot for it etc... If the bodywork isn't desperate, use it and do what you can, when you can

thanks for advice on the rear barriers. Thought it might be a thing as i'd checked the gutters etc. I'll have to ge that sorted.

RE selling. it's been vandalised in the past and had terrible paint over the top. Bad laquer peel on roof. Over spray etc... yes, i could run it for a bit. but if I sold it, any money would just go back to another E39. i liek the car, i just thoink I bought the wrong one thats all.

I bought too early without doing enough hunting. I could have spent what I have dont on mine already (all in) and got a better base car.. Live and learn

One does occasionally have to take stock - if the car was an M5 or something sentimental then it might be worth persevering but sounds like you maybe better cutting your losses?

What does it owe you?

by the time its had a new MOT. about £1750 , 

its not a lot (grand scheme) but thats about 750 more than its worth.

its has coilovers and tatty wheels and bodywork and served as a way of venting time and frustration in the summer lockdown

the problem with me is that a decision is never made :)

i cant decide wither im indecisive or not.

You also touched on something there,  there is a value to the learning . if i lose a a bit i don't mind too much. Plus it was in my head that if the car is that cheap, i only had so much i could lose. I'd be gutted if I bought a 3k car to find that the head gasket or gearbox was tanked.

This would make a godo parts car as, mechincally ,its very good. ( a Sally Gunnell of a car)

5 hours ago, PL523i said:

thanks for advice on the rear barriers. Thought it might be a thing as i'd checked the gutters etc. I'll have to ge that sorted.

RE selling. it's been vandalised in the past and had terrible paint over the top. Bad laquer peel on roof. Over spray etc... yes, i could run it for a bit. but if I sold it, any money would just go back to another E39. i liek the car, i just thoink I bought the wrong one thats all.

I bought too early without doing enough hunting. I could have spent what I have dont on mine already (all in) and got a better base car.. Live and learn

Well this one sounds a bit lemon then. If you can keep it running without much investment, then maybe there is a point to keep it longer and just drive, but there definitely has no point to get paintwork sorted etc, unless you plan to keep it forever.

Sorry to hear other people have had puddles in their cars - I have too.

Sudden absolutely drenched passenger footwell carpet and mat, so I checked the door vapour seal - all good and watertight. Then I thought it might be the windscreen seal/trim which had seen better days and I'd already bought - so I replaced it - no bloody different.

So then I fiddled and fecked around with the pollen filter bits and bobs - no bloody different.

So today I started taking the glovebox out and other bits of trim out and I eventually tracked it to the sunroof drain - a very easy fix with a long skinny tie wrap but not before I'd run away on a wild goose-chase.

*Top tip for checking sunroof drains - only pour water in the very outermost channel and if/once that appears blocked - STOP. Pour any more in and it will overflow into the next little channel inboard which has a wonderfully easy route into the car and the headlining, running down the A-post and convincing you there is problem under the headlining with the connector to the sunroof drain - there isn't - you've just created too big a puddle.

All buttoned back up now (no screws left over - phew) as well as oil, oil filter, air filter change last weekend to prepare it for an MoT this week. Nearly 160k miles on it and when it all works it is a lovely car, but bloody hell, E39's are so easy to go wrong.

Had failed vapour barriers, on my current and last E39. Quick and easy fix mate, for pretty much no cost.