stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Someone with a brain the size of an Amoeba chucked an egg at the car last night when I was in the shop. I used the jetwash to clean it when I came out but the wing mirror has a scratch on it now which is slightly annoying. 

2 minutes ago, DerekJr. said:

Someone with a brain the size of an Amoeba chucked an egg at the car last night when I was in the shop. I used the jetwash to clean it when I came out but the wing mirror has a scratch on it now which is slightly annoying. 

Some people....  :roll:  

Interior hoovered; washer and intensive washer bottles topped up

Then gave it its first 'contactless' wash of the late Autumn/early Winter season and will do this throughout the winter etc

So rinsed, snowfoamed (including all wheel arches, sills and lower sections of the bumpers); wheels cleaned with a dedicated wheel cleaning brush; let the snowfoam sit for 10mins or so (AG Polar Blast); rinsed thoroughly (wheels and arches first then the body)

Glass towel dried; mirrors towel dried; tyres and alloys towel dried and tyres treated with AG Tyre Dressing

That's it; it's lashing it down again here; but least the cars cleaner than it was :) 

Got rid of all the brackets for the old AMP, TV module, CD changer, and NAV unit, left the outside brackets, put all the cables behind, riveted a fire extinguisher to the bracket, and not I have a lovely storage cubby hole, from left to right, Jumpleads, tow rope, de-icer, fire extinguisher, oil, infant a small toolkit and straps, behind, a map, gloves and spare bulb kit.

Evens out the weight of the battery on the other side haha

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

Edited by waitee

I changed the crappy scratched and pitted lenses for brand new ones. I've had them for ages but only got around to doing them last night. Car looks like new now. 

I only have this pic at the moment:

20201102_194452.thumb.jpg.325430606728b19d0b3832e3c37aaa5c.jpg

The covering on the lens is some cling film, I took that off after fitting them. 

18 hours ago, waitee said:

Got rid of all the brackets for the old AMP, TV module, CD changer, and NAV unit, left the outside brackets, put all the cables behind, riveted a fire extinguisher to the bracket, and not I have a lovely storage cubby hole, from left to right, Jumpleads, tow rope, de-icer, fire extinguisher, oil, infant a small toolkit and straps, behind, a map, gloves and spare bulb kit.

Evens out the weight of the battery on the other side haha

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

Love the red lashing straps - reminds me of my Loadmastering days! I carry one as a tow rope as well, unsnapable!

Edited by Loadmaster

My Hella Behr water pump came ina mahle box. Same part number. 

Probably depends on the part. 

Check on the mahle catalogue and the Hella catalogue.. Same photos for lots of things 

1 minute ago, PL523i said:

Check on the mahle catalogue and the Hella catalogue.. Same photos for lots of things 

And the Hella part is usually less btw

11 minutes ago, PL523i said:

So basically both should be good I believe.

Just now, PL523i said:

I have no reason to think otherwise. 

What parts you looking at? 

Main thermostat e39 530d. Not my car, my mate's car, issues with holding temperature sometimes, but not always.  Takes really long to reach 90, sometimes gets up to 75-76 only, sometimes gets up to 90. EGR cooler thermostat is first suspect, will get it plugged off to see if anything improve, if not then main stat need replacing. Just don't want it to fail again soon, so looking for trusted brands. 

Cool (no pun intended) 

Yeah, look for the same part on the mahle and then the Hella catalogue, should be same if not very similar part number. Failing that I thing Wahler is an oem brand too for thermostats. 

9 minutes ago, PL523i said:

Cool (no pun intended) 

Yeah, look for the same part on the mahle and then the Hella catalogue, should be same if not very similar part number. Failing that I thing Wahler is an oem brand too for thermostats. 

I have heard of wahler, but can't see any for diesel engine, most I found was for petrols. 

32 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

I have heard of wahler, but can't see any for diesel engine, most I found was for petrols. 

Yeah I just had a look. Couldn't see one either. 

That engine was used in a few things wasn't it? Land rovers? Omegas?

Should be able to get bits pretty cheap if you find the manufacturer's (hella et Al) part number which I think is 8MT 354 775-301 with the housing. £30 seems a good price

Edited by PL523i

22 minutes ago, PL523i said:

Should be able to get bits pretty cheap if you find the manufacturer's (hella et Al) part number which I think is 8MT 354 775-301 with the housing. £30 seems a good price

Land rover has the same engine, omega had earlier m51 engine I believe, that has different thermostat. Thanks for part number, I will have a look. By the way where you found that Hella thermostat for £30, maybe have a link? Thanks!!

On 04/11/2020 at 20:28, PL523i said:

Update: seems that EGR cooler thermostat is the faulty one, not the main ones. Blocked off hose from EGR cooler by squeezing it from outside just to stop coolant flow through, to test what temperature is it running then. Switched hidden options and went for a good spin, temperature was pretty much dead solid at 87°, no difference if slow city traffic or 70mph down the motorway.

Happy days, easy fix this time. 

And thanks for thermostat part number and link, saved in watchlist just in case will need some day.

1 hour ago, PL523i said:

You're welcome. 

Glad it's sorted 

It's sorted and all good. Glad it wasn't main stat, because EGR stat you can change without draining system, maybe 100ml of coolant getting lost, that's it. And surprisingly it was Behr thermostat, which, my mate claims, was replaced in autumn 2018, so little over 2 years. I would expect little longer lifespan from quality part, but you never know these days. Everything is made to last warranty time and that's it.

Made these ramps for the front of the car, I have a low profile jack, but it won't reach the front subframe to lift the car up in one go, so you have to the usual lift one side by the strut and put a jack stand under then the other side.... annoys me. anyway now I drive up onto these, car is lifted about 3-4 inches, I can get my jack under to the middle of the front subframe to lift the front in one go. easy ;)took me 15 min with a scrap bit of scaffold plank and a reciprocating saw 

IMG_2547.JPG

Like that

I did something similar many years ago - took a 4foot long, 5x5" fencepost, marked out the middle 2 foot section, and sawed the one diagonal from one side to the other along that length.  Voila, a pair  2foot ramps that rises 4" each to a 1foot long flat section. All I needed for the car I had then.(stupidly left behind when we moved - must make another pair...)

Another clean sheet MOT pass at 42,174 miles, 1999 miles since the previous test on the same day last year.

Doing well for a dangerous Jap import... :rolleyes:

Edited by Loadmaster