stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

1 hour ago, THe39M5 said:

Yes, that is the tensioner. Put a socket with a breaker bar on the cast 'nut' in the middle of your photo and lever it clockwise to release the belt. They take quite a push.

Done all that and changed the belts, I was wondering whether I had the mechanical one or the hydraulic one? 

1 hour ago, PL523i said:

Done all that and changed the belts, I was wondering whether I had the mechanical one or the hydraulic one? 

I think it's just spring inside it, so I would call it mechanical one. So far all of auxiliary belt tensions I have seen on E39 models are spring tensioned.

10 minutes ago, THe39M5 said:

I assume the hydraulic ones are those with the cylinder that they compress (looks like a tiny damper / shock absorber).

yes  i beleive so, but without ever seeing one in situ its difficult to get my bearings when looking in there for the first time. Happy its the mechnical one, saves a bit of money

Edited by PL523i

Bought a new battery today, old one was turning starter motor well, but if anything electrical were left on for even short period, battery was flat. New battery yuasa 020 with 5 years warranty from Halfords, but when I got home and put tester over terminals, instead of expected 12.4v or above, it was giving me just 12.11v. Is that okay for new, unused battery or no?

And next question what should I do:

return for exchange,

recharge before fitting,

or simply fit it and it will charge while driving anyway?

19 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Bought a new battery today, old one was turning starter motor well, but if anything electrical were left on for even short period, battery was flat. New battery yuasa 020 with 5 years warranty from Halfords, but when I got home and put tester over terminals, instead of expected 12.4v or above, it was giving me just 12.11v. Is that okay for new, unused battery or no?

And next question what should I do:

return for exchange,

recharge before fitting,

or simply fit it and it will charge while driving anyway?

IMO that'll be fine pal. 

Get it in and drive the car and give it a decent charge. 

Or if you've got a trickle charger, stick that on overnight etc. 

Batteries sit on the shelves for quite a while, so can expect the voltage to be a bit low

4 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

IMO that'll be fine pal. 

Get it in and drive the car and give it a decent charge. 

Or if you've got a trickle charger, stick that on overnight etc. 

Batteries sit on the shelves for quite a while, so can expect the voltage to be a bit low

Got some small 4amp trickle charger, but it still does the job, so I will stick it on over night. Thanks for advice!

20 minutes ago, simufly said:

Any “got you” with changing a battery? On the old e34  the alarm went crazy when changing a battery.

Don't think there should be an issue. Never changed it for another, but my current battery have been disconnected and removed from car several times, never had issues with factory alarm or anything else, only radio settings and that type of things go back to default. 

I will get it changed first thing tomorrow morning, after that will know if there are any tricks, but I doubt.

Edited by Ray112

On 03/10/2020 at 22:26, simufly said:

Any “got you” with changing a battery? On the old e34  the alarm went crazy when changing a battery.

Not from my experience with my current and past E39. Just don't do your back in when lifting out and into position in the boot.

My current E39 is alarm free (they must be a trustworthy lot in Japan) but my previous one was alarmed and there were no issues.

On 03/10/2020 at 22:47, Ray112 said:

Don't think there should be an issue. Never changed it for another, but my current battery have been disconnected and removed from car several times, never had issues with factory alarm or anything else, only radio settings and that type of things go back to default. 

I will get it changed first thing tomorrow morning, after that will know if there are any tricks, but I doubt.

Update on this: 020 battery doesn't fit in touring. Eurocarparts are stating as well that 020 batteries fit for E39 touring, but it's wrong. Maybe they fit in saloon, not sure of this.  So returned battery back to Halfords. Will buy 019, but most likely from Tayna batteries, seems like they offer best price. 

37 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Update on this: 020 battery doesn't fit in touring. Eurocarparts are stating as well that 020 batteries fit for E39 touring, but it's wrong. Maybe they fit in saloon, not sure of this.  So returned battery back to Halfords. Will buy 019, but most likely from Tayna batteries, seems like they offer best price. 

I thought they fit, but you couldn't use the clamp?

I know the 019 fits and it's a snug fit, the clamp is in the last hole etc... There is still a bit of room left though

On 03/10/2020 at 22:26, simufly said:

If you have Nav then make sure the red light is out before disconnecting the battery, it’s possible to brick the Nav computer if you pull power just at the wrong moment.

14 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I thought they fit, but you couldn't use the clamp?

I know the 019 fits and it's a snug fit, the clamp is in the last hole etc... There is still a bit of room left though

My battery clamp is going over battery , so length wouldn't affect that. But battery doesn't go through boot floor level, basically it's getting trapped on that corner where load securing hook is attached. I even removed negative lead from chassis and moved on a side positive lead with all that green junction box or what ever it's called, to gain some more space, but still not a chance. At least sharing my mistake might save someone else doing the same mistake. Use of forums:D

12 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

My battery clamp is going over battery , so length wouldn't affect that. But battery doesn't go through boot floor level, basically it's getting trapped on that corner where load securing hook is attached. I even removed negative lead from chassis and moved on a side positive lead with all that green junction box or what ever it's called, to gain some more space, but still not a chance. At least sharing my mistake might save someone else doing the same mistake. Use of forums:D

Ah that's a sod; as you said it's here to see now if anyone else looks.

The 020 deffo fits the saloon; the shape of the box for the touring is obviously that bit different.

Least with the 019 in you'll have a decent battery; they're all I've ever used and never any issues :) 

2 hours ago, Ray112 said:

I managed to fit a Bosch s5 015 in mine. I am not sure how the naming to sizing works, but the dimensions are 393 mm long x 175 mm wide x 190 mm tall.

3.jpeg

Edited by sinner

38 minutes ago, sinner said:

I managed to fit a Bosch s5 015 in mine. I am not sure how the naming to sizing works, but the dimensions are 393 mm long x 175 mm wide x 190 mm tall.

3.jpeg

Thats an 020... So they do fit!

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Thats an 020... So they do fit!

That indeed is 020!  Would like to hear more details about anything removed etc, because with those bits I removed only way I could get it in was to start jumping on top.

22 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

That indeed is 020!  Would like to hear more details about anything removed etc, because with those bits I removed only way I could get it in was to start jumping on top.

hammer.jpg

:lol:;) 

1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

Most universal tool, that will sort out everything:lol:

Absolutely; every tool kit should have one, more so a 12lb'er ;):lol: 

Started to 'refresh' my winter Style 66s; given them all a good flat off with scotch pads, panel wiped, tack clothed and then sprayed a few coats of Hycote grey primer on them.

They'll get Hycote 'Rover Gunmetallic Grey' rattled can in the next few days; will update with pics then.

They'll soon be fitted to the tourer ;) 

front drop links arrived along with a rod end., All Lemforder. however......, the 2 drop links are different colours. one in black teh other in bare metal...normal?

purchased from an eBay vendor and although all bagged up etc am always a littel nervous about such things.