stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Mot yesterday passed with no issues, was told the droplinks were looking as though they were on their way out so a new set ordered, another year of motoring for my e39 :)

16 minutes ago, Tomsontour said:

Mot yesterday passed with no issues, was told the droplinks were looking as though they were on their way out so a new set ordered, another year of motoring for my e39 :)

Ideal, always nice to have a clean pass!

As is typical for me, this wasn’t today but a few days ago - had all the parts I needed to finally do the rear wheel bearing and rebuild the handbrake on the nsr.

bastard of a job - not much access to the bolt heads. I suppose the alternative is to take the rear suspension apart but I didn’t much fancy that... I also had a new hub to hand as I thought I’d make life (slightly) easier and not have to separate the bearing from the hub. 

DC7C7BBE-DF46-4878-85B0-32A920DBF1FC.jpeg

8928A129-8956-4D84-BF5A-E6A8655B7510.jpeg

D870462B-D416-4742-936E-4751BB8A7F0A.jpeg

amazing how mucky my face was for doing it...

Edited by The Spooner

1 hour ago, The Spooner said:

As is typical for me, this wasn’t today but a few days ago - had all the parts I needed to finally do the rear wheel bearing and rebuild the handbrake on the nsr.

bastard of a job - not much access to the bolt heads. I suppose the alternative is to take the rear suspension apart but I didn’t much fancy that... I also had a new hub to hand as I thought I’d make life (slightly) easier and not have to separate the bearing from the hub. 

DC7C7BBE-DF46-4878-85B0-32A920DBF1FC.jpeg

8928A129-8956-4D84-BF5A-E6A8655B7510.jpeg

D870462B-D416-4742-936E-4751BB8A7F0A.jpeg

amazing how mucky my face was for doing it...

I just noticed that handbrake shoes on tourings are standing different than on saloons. Horizontal versus vertical position. Probably both are the same crappy.

4 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

I just noticed that handbrake shoes on tourings are standing different than on saloons. Horizontal versus vertical position. Probably both are the same crappy.

Yes I found that when trying to source a back plate (ended up going to BMW) I Suppose the touring does have a different rear end set up which would influence the location of the handbrake gubbins. 

aside from the springs being a cock to put back on it’s not too bad, and I’ve never had a problem with my handbrake not holding the car. Not the best, but by no means the worst. Can’t do handbrake turns with it though.

1 hour ago, The Spooner said:

Yes I found that when trying to source a back plate (ended up going to BMW) I Suppose the touring does have a different rear end set up which would influence the location of the handbrake gubbins. 

aside from the springs being a cock to put back on it’s not too bad, and I’ve never had a problem with my handbrake not holding the car. Not the best, but by no means the worst. Can’t do handbrake turns with it though.

Mine as well is holding car without problems on hills etc, but I can't make wheels skid not even on gravel. I think all other cars I've ever owned before were able to lock wheels at least on wet tarmac. But it's enough for MOT, so all good.

Car wouldn't start so put in a new Yuasa YBX5019 battery, worked like a charm!

20200716-194034.jpg

21 hours ago, GBS said:

Car wouldn't start so put in a new Yuasa YBX5019 battery, worked like a charm!

20200716-194034.jpg

The beast has had 2 new batteries since I got her in Nov 15. Not too bad really. Mind you, it’s had new discs once, 2 steering pumps, 2 fuel pumps and courtesy of my last boat going up in flames, a new key!  Ouch!!

3 hours ago, greenelekta said:

MOT today, passed with no advisories. Very pleasing!

IMG_0885 (2).JPG

Blimey, one of the very last to be UK registered? I've never seen later than a 53 plate.

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Noticed a bubble by the NSR arch above the bumper :(

I'm sure you'll soon get that sorted :) 

Very sudden water pump bearing failure led to a recovery home. Pump, gaskets, o-rings and a 740d 88 degree thermostat ordered - even after the engine rebuild and replacement I have never liked the M62's  silly high105 degree running temperature so I am going to run withe E38 740d thermostat for a while.

1 hour ago, GBS said:

Much needed seat leather clean and condition:

6KijywH.jpg

I recognise that interior... ;) 

A few bits over the past couple of days:

Replaced rusty arch drivers side wing with a good used one in same colour.

Fixed the drivers side mirror and replaced the part plastic gearing with full metal one. 

Replaced one of the rear PDC that wasn't working with a new one. 

Got it washed!

Re-booked my Jap import death trap/rust heap into the body shop to get the bonnet/front bumper/front wings and wing mirror caps resprayed, to sort the flat/dulled and stone chipped paint (and to get the OEM M5 grille bonded into place properly) ;) :) 

Goes in on 10th August for it's work :) 

3 hours ago, greenelekta said:

Changed the oil and went for an MOT, in the rain! Passed with no advisories so all good today.

20200723_161216~2 (3).jpg

Congratulations Dave, but only 31 miles in two years... surely it needs a bit more of a run out than that... just to get it up to normal running temperarature.

Spent about 3 hours cleaning!

• Bilt Hamer Auto Foam
  • Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel (chemical decontamination of paint)
  • Meguiars Clay the whole car
  • Autogylm Super Resin
  • Autogylm Extra Gloss Protection

Just need to treat the black plastic trim now as they look worn out!

Result:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

56 minutes ago, GBS said:

Spent about 3 hours cleaning!

• Bilt Hamer Auto Foam
  • Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel (chemical decontamination of paint)
  • Meguiars Clay the whole car
  • Autogylm Super Resin
  • Autogylm Extra Gloss Protection

Just need to treat the black plastic trim now as they look worn out!

Result:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Looks really well still pal :) 

Is that kerb rash on the front wheel or just the picture/angle?

Re black trim, the GTechniq C4 stuff is very good, just need to ensure the black plastic is thoroughly washed & degreased (ie. scrubbed really with lots of fairy liquid & hot water)

Sadly it is indeed a kerb rash, brother being careless as he parks it on the street :x

I went with Solution Black rather than GTechniq C4 as I saw raving reviews on some detailing forums, should do the trick! Plan to scrub down the plastic with Bilt Hamber Surfex HD before I apply it.

Did notice fair few spots of rust around the car, will create another thread and ask around for some recommendations for shops to get it fixed.

Edited by GBS