stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

44 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

I’ll bet the arches are the same, but it’s the section that covers the inside of the arch where it goes down to the bumper which I need.

R

It's all one piece until you get to the top of the pork chop; then the wheel arch liner screws into that.

So it sounds like its the pork chop that you're after, which as said above, are bloody expensive, unfortunately

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

It's all one piece until you get to the top of the pork chop; then the wheel arch liner screws into that.

So it sounds like its the pork chop that you're after, which as said above, are bloody expensive, unfortunately

Damn. I knew doing the Beast up would be expensive!!

just didn’t figure on pieces of plastic costing the same as my style 66’s c/w tyres!!!

Still, I got a message about someone scrapping a 540i touring, which makes mine part of a yet smaller group!

R

1 hour ago, Redrich said:

Had a go at the headlights, better but I think they need to come out and be machine polished.

Sup, slate green buddy. Wasn't my first choice of colour, but the car was right other than that so bought it. It's grown on me though, really like it now!

clean.thumb.jpg.4f98d4617ef7a44e92c5184fc4e186fb.jpg

My lenses are ok, but adjusters crumbled to dust. Between us we could make one good pair of headlights and time share them? ;)

6 hours ago, Pzero said:

Sup, slate green buddy. Wasn't my first choice of colour, but the car was right other than that so bought it. It's grown on me though, really like it now!

clean.thumb.jpg.4f98d4617ef7a44e92c5184fc4e186fb.jpg

My lenses are ok, but adjusters crumbled to dust. Between us we could make one good pair of headlights and time share them? ;)

Nice, looks a lot cleaner than mine does, was thinking about going for black kidney grills, now I know I am - wasn’t sure it would work with this colour but I like it.

Always wanted one in slate green so when this one came up early this year I had to have it, 530i in the right colour with 90k on it for less than 2 bags, sold!

35 minutes ago, Redrich said:

Nice, looks a lot cleaner than mine does, was thinking about going for black kidney grills, now I know I am - wasn’t sure it would work with this colour but I like it.

Always wanted one in slate green so when this one came up early this year I had to have it, 530i in the right colour with 90k on it for less than 2 bags, sold!

Lovely touring

Love Slate Green too; this was my 1st ever E39, a 530i Sport and one I deffo should not have sold :roll: 

6-A7-CC1-DA-D05-C-4-DF1-8-E30-9763-E19-F

I like the slate green, just not so keen on the green leather often paired with it. I wasn't sue about glacier green but actually i really came to love it on my 523i

Finally took a brave pill and tried the 3M headlamp restoration kit - pretty amazing results with not too much effort. I did these so i can sell them but reckon with a little more time they would be 100% (not that the results are bad!)

iIMG_0781.JPG

9 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Finally took a brave pill and tried the 3M headlamp restoration kit - pretty amazing results with not too much effort. I did these so i can sell them but reckon with a little more time they would be 100% (not that the results are bad!)

Wow man, that's a whole world of difference, fantastic improvement! Not had to restore any to date, but often wondered if these kits were much good... That's kinda proven that point though!

Bearing in mind recent discussion referring touring tailgate lights which always go dull and mine are no exception, I've half a mind to give it a shot with this 3M kit, followed by a lacquer to delay the inevitable fading again.

ThanksB)

I have an old rear i might try it now you mention them but from experience they seem to craze?

The first pass you make with the 500 grit makes you think s**t! what have i done!

TBH mine weren't scored just faded.

What i would say is take them out and do them on a bench (work mate) as i did. wouldn't fancy doing them in situ.

Basically it seems from my limited experience even a half arsed job would improve things!

Hi, had a go at the headlights a few months back using a Holts kit. Pretty good results definitely a lot smoother and Clearer but it looks like of the stone marks the plastic all the way through and I think the inside of the light  might have had Condensation at some point. 

I did them in situ, the trims come off pretty easy and then just mask up around before sanding. 

F68F1D3F-06CC-434C-856A-ED27911C096F.jpeg

F552F5BF-789F-475B-8452-D611D2B51422.png

Enjoyed a drive from Surrey down to Weymouth and portland bill yesterday, car didn't miss a beat and the new tyres have made a world of difference to the road noise on the motorway. For an old boy he's still comfy as anything. Needs a good wash now so maybe a job for next weekend :)

Matt

Finished installing the gulf oil filter  housing & oil cooler, rather annoyingly oil is leaking past 2 aluminium washers. Quite a frustrating way to find out dowty seals are a better solution for oil cooler fittings so will have to take it apart again to fit them. Think it’s gonna be a messy job!

Edited by BarryM
Update

Been at this for a few days... the weather has not helped at all! 

Still needs a sand and polish to finish but the results are much better than before! 

Thought I’d practice some bodywork skills, prep was a pain also rust treated the whole area so hopefully this section is fixed for a few more years, still plenty of rust to fix In other places. Has anyone has sills repaired in the Leicester area? 

Got the seats out this evening to restore them. Think I need to replace the front wheel bearing and the brake hoses need doing after an advisory on the MOT Last year. 

13A530BC-1092-417F-846E-2EFDFD9304C4.jpeg

C9CEE55B-2976-4102-9298-E4B2178B2383.jpeg

32D89D30-8E88-4A66-B937-E7184F2AABA2.jpeg

Was it some glue you were using on rusted area around barrel to fill the rusted out bit or just filler? And is it spray gun or professional rattle cans you used. Finish looks really nice and smooth.

Edited by Ray112

4 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Was it some glue you were using on rusted area around barrel to fill the rusted out bit or just filler? And is it spray gun or professional rattle cans you used. Finish looks really nice and smooth.

I sanded all the rust away until I had bare metal and then treated it with hammerrite kurust (it stabilises the metal and prevents further rust apparently). I tapped the pitted areas in slightly with a hammer and then rebuilt the missing part of the lock area and filled over the pitted area with some fibreglass filler.

Sanded all this back down until smooth and then coated the whole area with a filler primer until i got a uniform finish. Then used a Halfords rattle can for the base coat and a can of Hycote for the clear coat.

The finish looks good, a further sand with very fine wet and dry and a polish and wax should give it a deeper mirror finish once the clear has cured. 

My gearbox had developed a slight judder at low revs so decided to check the oil level at the weekend, I had noticed before that the front of the gearbox sump was wet and assumed that the torque converter was starting to leak, however, when I checked the sump bolts I found I could get about a quarter of a turn on each one (I serviced the gearbox just under two years ago and thought I'd done them tight enough... :rolleyes:). It took just under a litre to get it back to full and I'm now back to lovely, wafty, smoothness again. :)

Oh, and top tip, I used a pressure bleeder to replace the lost fluid, it makes the job much easier when you're scrabbling around on your back trying not to burn your hands on the exhaust pipe.B)

Went out this evening to sort out the problem with my outside temperature system because the dash has shown 34.4 whatever time I have looked at it over the last week or so. With my reading specs on I noticed the Initials mph alongside the reading. A couple of presses later on the left hand stalk button and I moved the setting to  degrees and saw an acceptable figure of 30. The joys of getting old!

6 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

Went out this evening to sort out the problem with my outside temperature system because the dash has shown 34.4 whatever time I have looked at it over the last week or so. With my reading specs on I noticed the Initials mph alongside the reading. A couple of presses later on the left hand stalk button and I moved the setting to  degrees and saw an acceptable figure of 30. The joys of getting old!

Sounds like you might need some specs for driving:D

Powerfold/chromatic wing mirrors dismantled and the gears all well lubricated with lithium grease

Chromatic wing mirror glass replaced with eBay specials; they're still heated, but no longer chromatic. Both glasses had blown and leaked, so had turned bronze in colour etc

The new glass just clicks into place rather than there being a locating tab; but they both look well and fit well :) 

14 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Sounds like you might need some specs for driving:D

I  pass the eyesight test for driving. We are tested every two years here in Portugal over age 70 but I need specs for reading and this obviously affects my ability to see the small stuff on the dashboard.

3 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

I  pass the eyesight test for driving. We are tested every two years here in Portugal over age 70 but I need specs for reading and this obviously affects my ability to see the small stuff on the dashboard.

I remember back in my youth...blasting down an A road (I mean private runway) at 100mph and my mother said this seems fast for 45mph...I said mother...that's the rev counter pmsl

Washed; bloody Shite Kites using our driveway as target practise :roll: :mad: :lol: 

Autoglym Polar Blast snow foamed, rinsed; alloys washed and tyres scrubbed; AG Polar Wash washed, rinsed; AG Polar Seal applied, rinsed; towel dried and blacks & tyres treated with Chemical Guys tyre/trim gel

washed-again.jpg

Too bloody hot today for doing this, but it was a necessity.... Was knackered after that; so I trained on the drive too; perfect weather for deadlifting stupid amounts of weight :roll::mrgreen:

20 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Autoglym Polar Blast snow foamed, rinsed; alloys washed and tyres scrubbed; AG Polar Wash washed, rinsed; AG Polar Seal applied, rinsed; towel dried and blacks & tyres treated with Chemical Guys tyre/trim gel

Polar Seal - 'hydrophobic' as they claim, or snake oil? Not used it myself, is it, as their description of it would suggest - almost like a spray on wax result? 

I have tried used Polar Blast for pre-wash recently, not yet formed much of an opinion on it yet as only done one wash and car wasn't too filthy to begin with. Then I foam wash with Demon Foam, cheaper and always been happy with result.

What with work and 4 year old, I rarely get time for a proper waxing afterwards, so curious about Polar Seal.